Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the PSU in my rig after the surge protector failed to protect the last one.:p I bought a 650 watt Antec power supply, and from the moment I installed it today, everything's been acting ok, except at random moments I get pauses that last about a second or two, and then it starts moving again. Things like MP3's playing will stop, mouse/keyboard inputs are unresponsive when it does, but as far as I can tell, nothing is wrong. My temps are well below warning level, and my voltages are just fine. I really can't think of what the problem could be. I know my system likes it's power, but there's no way I'm not giving it enough.:p And before the old PSU died, I never had this problem. Any suggestions are appreciated.:)

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I know is it's driving me nuts.:p

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
im still for the theory something got a power surge through it and fried when your last PSU blew, the motherboard one sounds quite plausable, but you might want to run some test programs for other components to make sure theyre ok

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
This may be a bit extreme, but you could try temporarily moving your harddrives into a friends computer so you could see if its actually a hardware problem or not. If you boot into windows from your harddrives in a friends computer if its a hardware problem in theory everything should be fine.

Atleast you'll know if its hardware or not.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
n_w95482, do you have the same power supply? Maybe that could be it. The problem with the hard drive moving is that it may not boot into Windows on any other hardware configuration if it's not similar. Once the hardware changes (essentially reffering to the motherboard), you'll need to reformat most of the time to get anywhere. I'd run tests to see if you can spot anything.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had task manager open to see what it did when it froze, and it seems that everytime it freezes, my CPU usage jumps to full or near full load and then goes back down to the usual 2-3% load on idle. I'm starting to think it may be software related. So, I'm going to format. If it turns out it's not the problem, then I'm really going to be confused.:p

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, it turned out the problem was a faulty TV card that apparently was damaged in the surge. Once I pulled out my PCI cards, I got it down to that one as the culprit. Just goes to show problems can be caused from just about ANYTHING.;p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.