Next Generation Emulation banner

Random Speed-Ups while playing Hogs of War

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Squall-Leonhart 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to epsxe and this forum, but I (kind of) know what I'm doing. But I've been having a few problem where my game will randomly become much faster, say, 1.5x, which affects the gameplay more than you'd think.

I have the settings for fast gameplay, windowed in 480 by 320, and I've tried a load of different fps settings. I've tried the PC fps setting in special game fixes (still speeds up) 25 fps (it's a PAL cd rom, but too slow) 29.5 (still slightly too slow) and 30 (normal speed, but still random speed-ups occur) I'm not really sure what else could fix the speed-ups, as it could be something other than the fps limit.

If you need any more info simply ask, and thanks for your help.

#2 ·
What version of ePSXe are you using? Which CPU you have?

Which plugins have you tried? If using Pete's, post the information by using the button "Copy to clipboard" at the bottom right of its configuration window. (which will include display device too)

Also, take note that PAL games should run at 50 'FPS'.

#3 ·
What version of ePSXe are you using? Which CPU you have?

Which plugins have you tried? If using Pete's, post the information by using the button "Copy to clipboard" at the bottom right of its configuration window. (which will include display device too)

Also, take note that PAL games should run at 50 'FPS'.
I knew I'd forget some vital info, I was kinda in a rush to post it.

O.k, I have 1.6.0, I'm using Pete's PSX D3D (DX6) Renderer, and the configuration is:

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.76
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

Resolution/Color:
- 480x320 Window mode

Textures:
- R4G4B4A4
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 50.0

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer texture: 1
- Framebuffer access: 3
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: none

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000180]

They are mostly the FAST settings with tiny alterations

Also I did try 50 fps and I think it was similar to setting 30 fps, it actually played at a reasonably good speed, but either way during some parts of the game it speeds up (there are specific points in gameplay, I could record where but there doesn't seem to be anything obvious affecting it.)

And finally I'm pretty sure I tried quite a few, at least the few that have worked, but if you have no idea what's causing it I'll go over them all again with an fps limit of 50.

#5 ·
what about your CPU, can you tell us the brand and model name?

#6 · (Edited)
Try with ePSXe v1.7.0, and disable the FPS limit on the plugin.
Also, use the Internal SPU plugin.
O.k, I'll get to you on that in an edit

what about your CPU, can you tell us the brand and model name?
Compaq Presario V6500

EDIT: No speed ups at all, though while it's still on fast it lags slightly, but that's really just my laptop. I'll test some ways of making it faster.

EDIT 2: Still slow, absolutely everything's at the lowest setting, and I'm pretty certain Pete's driver's meant to be the most compatible and fastest... I know my laptop can just about run it with no lag as it worked previously. Maybe it's the change in SPU?

#7 ·
#8 ·
#11 ·
and set the laptop power profile to performance while using the emulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.