Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting this more often as of late and i can't figure out what is causing it.
maybe someone here will be able to help me out.
My pc specs :
AMD AthlonXP 2600+ @ 2.01ghz
2x256 jetram ddr400 running in dual mode
A-Open Nforce2gt chipset motherboard, (running with the nforce drivers i got with the board)
GeforceFX5200 128ddr mem. (not oc'ed) running omega0.56 nvidia drivers
using stock heatsink and fan (cpu fan running @ 3300rpm and 67 degrees when I'm gaming)
Thinking that the problem occurs due to overheating, i installed a coolermaster casing fan which runs at 2700rpm) and applied some more thermal paste to the cpu ,bit still the random shutdowns.....maybe it's the G-card that overheats?
I did some googling on the net; some ppl say that it could be a mem related prob. with the nforce2 boards that don't sit well with running in dual ddr mode...but i dunno
it happens when I'm gaming with no error messages whatsoever. the weird thing is; i can surf the net for hours and no shutdown, but when i play Baldur's Gate2 or anything with the mame32 emulator. it shuts down after about 2hours or three. my ambient system temp is 50 degrees. I'm at a total loss......Even thinking about re-installing windows.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is it sudden reboots or real actual shutdowns?

In Windows2000 and xp you can disable the automatic reboot, not sure the exact path on xp, but probably the same as win2k:
control panel->system->advanced->startup and recovery->Automatic reboot

If you disable automatic reboot there you will most likely get bluescreen instead of sudden reboots.

Also make sure the AGP (video) card is properly seated, sometimes it can help to remove the card and put it back in. It helped for my brother and he was having the same problem...desktop worked but not games etc.

If that doesn't work I would suggest try to set your memory bus speed to 333MHz in your bios.

·
Registered
226 Posts
try turning off the dual channel Ram. I dont think it's the video card or the cpu. Do some research the on that kind of ram. Never heard about that name before....

·
band
4,912 Posts
it shuts down after about 2hours or three. my ambient system temp is 50 degrees.
seems like heats ur problem man. 50 degrees ambients system temp is friggin insane ! mebe u put too much thermal paste ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
67 degrees Celsius?

I think the core can take up to 85 degrees C.

I think there is a formula the bios uses to calculate the core temp from the sensors but then again there are many factors that can mess this up. Wrong temp from sensors, bad sensors etc. If you think heat is a problem try running with your case open and see if it helps.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Have you checked in the BIOS what your shut down temperature is set to? It could be set too low.. Worth a shot I guess.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Couple of suggestions
  • Try running the RAM at a lower speed. My DDR 400 seems to play silly buggers if I run it that fast, so I run it at DDR 333. Regardless, there's no real point running above your CPU FSB if you are usin Dual Channel on an XP. There's not enough CPU bandwidth avaliable.
  • Try opening the side of the case and pointing a desk fan at it. If this solves yur problem, get a couple of fans for your PC: a 120mm rear fan and a 90mm front fan should do it.
  • Clean off the Thermal paste and apply only enouch to make contacy accross the core. I had no end of problems when I worked at Studentcomp with overly pasted CPUs.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Go to http://www.memtest86.com/ and download the memory tester, it will test your RAM memory for errors.

I had random resets as well and this program showed some messages which I didn't understand completely, but I knew they meant there were errors:p And I went back to the computer store, those nerds didn't believe my story but they replaced the memory and my power supply and after that I never had a problem again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. It turns out that Microsoft was to blame - yet again.....
I went out and bought two fans like Kane-Sama suggsted and mounted them,but
besides the fact that it runs cooler now, I still got the shutdowns. After that, I lowered the speed of the ram( which turns out to have a lifetime guarantee) to no avail.....so I finally i decided to up the ramspeed again and totally re-install Windows...and VOALA! No problems, heck the sound playback is even better now. Microsoft SUCKS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts