Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Not a new member
237 Posts
Our Prime Minister called in the representatives of Google, Facebook and Twitter to state that if any more disturbing footage appears on their sites, that the guys from Facebook etc would be thrown into jail. Does anyone realise how ridiculous that threat is? All those companies have to do is close all their offices here, and continue doing whatever they like. There will be no-one to arrest or "throw in jail".

I like the attitude of the guy from *********, who refuses to take down the movie. He told the New Zealand authorities to go f* themselves. NZ responded by banning the site. As if that's going to do anything.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I like the attitude of the guy from *********, who refuses to take down the movie. He told the New Zealand authorities to go f* themselves. NZ responded by banning the site. As if that's going to do anything.
Honestly, the more authority wants to ban something like that, the more I'm interested in it.

And 'banning' the website stupid as hell. I'm sure the video is already available on thousands of websites - no way they can ban them all, but even if they did - it's not like the average 13 year old can't figure out what a VPN is.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Absolute shock: we now find out that multiple articles which Trump called "Fake News" were in fact real.
When an article said the President wanted to fire the Special Counsel investigating him: Trump said it was Fake News. Turns out it was real, and he even asked the White House Counsel to lie about it (which he refused to do).
When an article said the President asked the FBI Director to cease their investigations: Trump said it was Fake News. Turns out, they've got evidence to prove it.
When an article said the Not-Yet-President Trump's National Security Advisor contacted Russia to discuss sanctions, Trump claimed it was Fake News and his National Security Advisor contacted the media to claim it was all a lie. Turns out, it was all real, and they knew they were lying to the media.

The information included in the twice-redacted report makes it easy to see why Congress wants to see the unredacted report. It even includes information about Trump's National Security Advisor sending emails discussing a "three phase plan" to get Clinton's emails from "our enemies" (referring specifically to China, Russia and Iran).

"The person can get the emails which 1) Were classified 2) Were stolen by our enemies"
"Even if a single email was recovered and the source of that email was a foreign service, it would be catastrophic to the Clinton campaign"

Whoever next becomes President after Trump in 2025 will have a lot of work to do.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,272 Posts
Not that I really care because it's not my country, but I can't help things are getting a little odd across the pond. Like weather or not I agree with it, I can understand why you would want to ban guns, but I think this might be a tad absurd.

View attachment 200815
UK is falling more and more these days. I hope their absurd won't come here to Ireland. I fully support being able to have the right to own a gun to protect myself and my family.

Hand over your guns, knives, everything! Make yourselves helpless and even easier to kill!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
UK is falling more and more these days. I hope their absurd won't come here to Ireland. I fully support being able to have the right to own a gun to protect myself and my family.

Hand over your guns, knives, everything! Make yourselves helpless and even easier to kill!
Yeah, and when you see shit like knife bans it makes me want to violently oppose any gun control measures. The fallacy of the slippery slope begins to seem like less of a fallacy everyday. The UK banned guns - and now you need a license to carry knives for your walk to work. I'd rather allow everyone in America to have nuclear warheads than have that kind of absurd government regulation.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,010 Posts
Absolute shock: we now find out that multiple articles which Trump called "Fake News" were in fact real.
When an article said the President wanted to fire the Special Counsel investigating him: Trump said it was Fake News. Turns out it was real, and he even asked the White House Counsel to lie about it (which he refused to do).
When an article said the President asked the FBI Director to cease their investigations: Trump said it was Fake News. Turns out, they've got evidence to prove it.
When an article said the Not-Yet-President Trump's National Security Advisor contacted Russia to discuss sanctions, Trump claimed it was Fake News and his National Security Advisor contacted the media to claim it was all a lie. Turns out, it was all real, and they knew they were lying to the media.

The information included in the twice-redacted report makes it easy to see why Congress wants to see the unredacted report. It even includes information about Trump's National Security Advisor sending emails discussing a "three phase plan" to get Clinton's emails from "our enemies" (referring specifically to China, Russia and Iran).

"The person can get the emails which 1) Were classified 2) Were stolen by our enemies"
"Even if a single email was recovered and the source of that email was a foreign service, it would be catastrophic to the Clinton campaign"

Whoever next becomes President after Trump in 2025 will have a lot of work to do.
Due to the trade war, i felt curious and went to trump's twitter, this guy is so damn arrogant. And his twits = praise himself non-stop, and everyone he dislikes / his competitors = losers / rubbish.

·
Not a new member
237 Posts
That's Trump all over. If you just assume that everything he says is a lie, then you get a more accurate picture of what's going on.

Yet, I have the feeling that he will be re-elected next year (I think it's next year).

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Yet, I have the feeling that he will be re-elected next year (I think it's next year).
Well, yeah. You can't replace the President while you're in a big war.

Not sure why people get so mad at him, he's making good moves.
He invoked national emergency powers to crush the other branches of government so he could sell weapons to Saudi Arabia. He's calling people who investigate him "traitors" and won't reject the possibility of the death penalty. He gave powers to his attorney general to run over the intelligence agencies to dig everything he can about the people ("traitors") investigating him. He's been thinking of treating the army as Law Enforcement (immigration in particular).

Everyone just needs to relax. He's got this under control.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,885 Posts
It's amazing that so much discussion of American politics is conducted by foreigners as a pastime. It's especially funny when non Americans bring up the Russia meddling in the election witchunt as a real thing when they themselves are foreign agents of discourse lol

Let me talk some of my politics, the Brexit party smashed the election and our nationally funded (by force of criminal offence) BBC barely mention the unprecedented win and talk about the losers as if they won. If you want to control a nation, change the language and framing of discussion.

Hats off to big remainer Piers for calling out the BS bias of our mafioso media.

piers.png

piers2.png

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
This is really kind of fascinating. Basically, the welfare system and tax structure in the US encourages you not to get a better job. A single parent earning $29k is better off than a single parent earning $69k a year. This is in Pennsylvania, but I imagine the numbers are similar across the country. Perhaps even more alarming is that you're not even that much better off earning $29,000 compared to $10,000.

stats.jpg

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Perhaps even more alarming is that you're not even that much better off earning $29,000 compared to $10,000.
Personally, I don't see "alarming" as the right word. I'd rather not see a parent raising kids on 10k a year. If someone making 10k a year was left in the dust, that would be far more alarming to me. It looks 20k is for the kid (15k childcare, 5k child health insurance), which is a huge chunk of the benefits.

Pennsylvania also shared information on who receives help regarding food (mostly kids and disabled people): http://www.dhs.pa.gov/cs/groups/webcontent/documents/document/c_287175.png

I don't agree the system encourages people to stay poor. This seems like a worst case scenario, which explains why it says "if we stack" the benefits. You have to stack everything possible, which won't apply to most people.

There are also a few other problems with that idea: the "better job" is safer since it doesn't rely on the perfect scenario to get benefits, it's safer since it will still pay you once your kids have left home, it's safer since it doesn't rely on receiving help (which could stop), the better job will lead (in theory) to your pay rising over the years which this doesn't take into account.

Perhaps more importantly, in most cases, it seems like the issue isn't better jobs being left unsolicited. I don't think the single mom making 29k would suddenly make 69k if we refused to help her. We rarely hear "I keep offering a 65k job and no one will take it". We mostly hear "I keep searching for a 65k job and no one is hiring!".

I live in a very liberal area and honestly, I've never heard of someone refusing a better job or a better pay. Everyone is going for the safer bet: the job, not welfare. Which is shocking considering how many black people I've met.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I don't agree that a job is a 'safer' bet. How many people get laid off every year? I guess it's regional but in my area where the majority of decent paying jobs (that aren't skilled labor) are in the coal mine or the steel plant - - two industries that aren't exactly doing well for various reasons.

Now, I know people who have refused better jobs (say $15 an hour over $8 an hour) because they really would be worse off. It's anecdotal evidence but it certainly does happen.

Mind you, I'm not against assistance programs, but I do believe they're abused. More so than liberals think, and less so than so.

Of course it's all more complicated than this graph makes it seem. A 69k job with included health benefits skews the comparison vs a 69k job where you're paying $1000 a month to get similar coverage to medicade. Generally speaking if you make 69k you're going to be living in a nicer house than some section 8 housing in ghetto. There are a lot of things to compare.

I have a black friend who insists welfare has been an overall negative for the black community. I haven't checked his statistics, but if they're right it makes sense. He claims that the invention of welfare made it less important to have a two parent household - where the idea of women "not needing no man" became more practical. Before this apparently blacks had the lowest divorce rates. And your odds of not being a total fuck up grows substantially coming from a two parent household. A bulk majority of prisoners were raised by single mothers..

·
Not a new member
237 Posts
So, Iran blowing up oil tankers? I doubt it. Seeing how badly Trump wants to make war on Iran, it's probably America that's creating mischief. After all, it was similar tactics that got the Vietnam war started.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
So, Iran blowing up oil tankers? I doubt it. Seeing how badly Trump wants to make war on Iran, it's probably America that's creating mischief. After all, it was similar tactics that got the Vietnam war started.
What's particularly strange about this is that the Japanese owner of the tankers contradicted the US, said that the attacks do not point out to mines being used (due to the attacks being too high), and thanked Iran for helping its crew after the attack.

The US instead claims mines were used, released a video allegedly showing Iran removing a mine from one of the tankers, and obviously blames Iran.

Unsurprisingly, Iran denies being involved in the attack. I'm unclear as to why Iran would attack two Japanese tankers.

My personal worry is this: Iran decides/already has decided they're done laying down. They've waited, but it led to the US taking more and more shots at them. They put their faith in the US for the nuclear deal, then the US fucks it. Then the US applies some strong economic pressure on Iran. Then last month the US sent a strike group near Iran/near the gulf while being very vague as to why. It's been a series of aggressive moves.

The US has been the guy repeatedly pushing Iran while going "what you gonna do about it huh? what you gonna do about it?". It's stupid for Iran to take the bait and throw a punch... But they might. Or they might have already done so.

·
Not a new member
237 Posts
I can imagine some mugger yelling in someone's face, "watcha gunna do, huh!?", and trying to provoke a response. But it's clear that America is trying to start something. But I don't know why. Then again, they haven't started a war for a few years - maybe they can't restrain themselves any longer.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
AP Source: US was planning to launch retaliatory attacks against Iran Thursday night but abruptly called them off

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
The situation in Oregon is ridiculous.
Their state senate was to vote on a "climate change" bill, but the minority party refused to vote since they believed they didn't have enough votes to get the result they wanted.
Their state constitution says that to hold a vote, you must have 2/3 of the senate present. It also says that if people try to purposefully be absent from a vote, they can be compelled to come and vote, to stop people from simply blocking a vote they're afraid of "losing".

Where it gets fucking ridiculous:
The minority party decided to have 11 of their members (out of 30 people in the senate) flee and hide, making it impossible to vote. Then, when they knew law enforcement would come and ask them to vote, they threatened to kill the cops.
The state capitol has been closed due to fear of an attack by a militia.
The missing members appear to have fled to a different state (Idaho) and joined a militia to literally fight when asked to come and vote.
They said that if they send cops to get them, they should only send cops who were heavily armed and had no families. Members of the militia also threatened a civil war and stated they were willing to die to protect the minority party.

It's not the first time Oregon had politicians walk out in protest of a vote they disliked*, but it's the first time they chose to flee to a militia and threaten to kill people. Fleeing to stop a vote is typically regarded as a bitch move (putting Democracy on pause because you're throwing a tantrum is a bad idea), but killing people is even more stupid. Or possibly terrorism, people will probably debate on that point.

*https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2019/06/20/oregon-legislators-minority-often-use-walkouts-leverage-senate-republicans/1516995001/

·
Not a new member
237 Posts
If they won't do their job, why are they being paid? I bet if you tried that kind of thing at your workplace you wouldn't last long.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,449 Posts
If they won't do their job, why are they being paid? I bet if you tried that kind of thing at your workplace you wouldn't last long.
That's the vast majority of US Federal government workers and a good amount of the state governments too. Lazy/incompetent government workers? Status quo here. A big reason why our political system is a wreck and Americans are so disengaged.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts