Next Generation Emulation banner

Random gaming talk

761K views 23K replies 141 participants last post by  nekelj 
#1 · (Edited)
Post your random gaming thoughtS!!

To start things off:

Treyarch's Call of Duty: Black Ops will be playable in stereoscopic 3D when it launches worldwide on November 9.

Publisher Activision said that the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC versions of the shooter will be compatible with 3D-ready HDTVs and 3D PCs utilising active shutter 3D glasses.

Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia said: "Development of stereoscopic 3D began as an R&D project, but once we saw what the technology brought to the Call of Duty experience, what a great fit and how immersive it was, we knew that we had to develop it for Black Ops.

"Aiming down the sights of your weapons, flying in helicopters, rappelling down mountains, and moving through highly detailed environments are just some of the awesome experiences you will have in 3D with Black Ops."

He added: "We made sure the experience is seamless for gamers to use with a simple menu option to enable stereoscopic 3D or disable it at any time whether playing in the single player campaign, multiplayer or Zombies."

Black Ops multiplayer was looking more ambitious than we imagined when we went hands-on last month.
http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_236961_thumb300.jpg

They seem really keen to force this 3d crap on us :|.

#22,864 ·
The price is great but the console is ugly as hell. We need to know more about the hardware but judging by the price I think is just as the rumors said it is. To me it feels bad even though I understand because of the pricing.... why not just make a digital XSX?

FUGLY!

The rumors had the S at 300$, the X at 500$, and the ability to pay a game pass + console combo of 25$ a month for the S or 35$ a month for the X.
I find the game pass combo to be an interesting opportunity for Microsoft, I see that as a great way to offer a different way to reach new gamers, but I'm still not sold on the S model.

It still seems a bit of a mixed message to me. It feels like they're competing against themselves in a way, trying hard to push the mighty power of the X as a selling point, but undercutting it with a cheaper model S. If the PS5 is sold at 500$, this should be a big win for Microsoft. But if the PS5 is sold for 400$, I think that having the model S might work against Microsoft. The pass+console combo is already making the model X very affordable for people, which makes the model S feel a bit redundant.

To try and explain what I see, if the PS5 is 400$ (no guarantee):
Scenario 1-
High tier - Model X: 500$ or 35$ a month
Low tier - PS5: 400$

Scenario 2-
Higher tier - Model X: 500$ or 35$ a month
Mid tier - PS5: 400$
Low tier - Model S 300$ or 25$ a month

I find scenario 1 to be more impactful for Microsoft, with scenario 2 making it easier for gamers to "compromise" and go for the PS5.
If I'm a casual buyer, in scenario 1 I think to myself "damn, there's a strong and a weak console, but if the difference is only 100$, and I can get it for a low price every month, it might make more sense to go for the powerful one".
While in scenario 2 I'd think "well if power isn't that important, I might as well compromise and buy the middle one with the exclusives".
But if the PS5 is 500$, I think that's a killer move. Either get a more powerful console for the same price, or a weaker but less expensive console for 200$ less.

From a buyer point of view, I think that having more options is a great thing, makes it better for us. Just more alternatives. I'm just uncertain of whether it will pay off down the road, it might muddy the waters for Microsoft and hurt their messaging/marketing.

#22,865 · (Edited)
The rumors had the S at 300$, the X at 500$, and the ability to pay a game pass + console combo of 25$ a month for the S or 35$ a month for the X.
I find the game pass combo to be an interesting opportunity for Microsoft, I see that as a great way to offer a different way to reach new gamers, but I'm still not sold on the S model.

It still seems a bit of a mixed message to me. It feels like they're competing against themselves in a way, trying hard to push the mighty power of the X as a selling point, but undercutting it with a cheaper model S. If the PS5 is sold at 500$, this should be a big win for Microsoft. But if the PS5 is sold for 400$, I think that having the model S might work against Microsoft. The pass+console combo is already making the model X very affordable for people, which makes the model S feel a bit redundant.

To try and explain what I see, if the PS5 is 400$ (no guarantee):
Scenario 1-
High tier - Model X: 500$ or 35$ a month
Low tier - PS5: 400$

Scenario 2-
Higher tier - Model X: 500$ or 35$ a month
Mid tier - PS5: 400$
Low tier - Model S 300$ or 25$ a month

I find scenario 1 to be more impactful for Microsoft, with scenario 2 making it easier for gamers to "compromise" and go for the PS5.
If I'm a casual buyer, in scenario 1 I think to myself "damn, there's a strong and a weak console, but if the difference is only 100$, and I can get it for a low price every month, it might make more sense to go for the powerful one".
While in scenario 2 I'd think "well if power isn't that important, I might as well compromise and buy the middle one with the exclusives".
But if the PS5 is 500$, I think that's a killer move. Either get a more powerful console for the same price, or a weaker but less expensive console for 200$ less.

From a buyer point of view, I think that having more options is a great thing, makes it better for us. Just more alternatives. I'm just uncertain of whether it will pay off down the road, it might muddy the waters for Microsoft and hurt their messaging/marketing.
It is a mixed message but depends on who you are and in your case you seem to lean more towards the Playstation side (in a good way) but in general the deal is not that bad but just not targeted at us. For example, Amazon launched a special option for certain registered users and it seems that we are lucky to get it. The option offers a 5 month payment with certain products and I've seen products over 3k that have that option for us. We have the money to buy those products but we have bought much more in the last half year than we would probably do in the same period of time, so that strategy seems to work on people like me and even some friends we know.

The XSS is very ugly and not the right product for me. However, what I think MS is doing here is providing the same experience as the XSX but at a lower resolution and at a much lower price, which makes a lot of sense. I think they will use DirectML to enhance the image and provide a similar experience at a reasonable price. While this may sound great, I have no idea that it will be enough to move people to buy an Xbox console. Right now IMO is very questionable, whatever hardware is relevant in the next 10 years and even on the Playstation side.

I'm not sure if the leak was real either because it looks to me like a plan to lure Sony to reveal the final price of the PS5 considering that they confirmed the price of the XSS but not that of the XSX as far as I know.

#22,866 ·
I'm not sure if the leak was real either because it looks to me like a plan to lure Sony to reveal the final price of the PS5 considering that they confirmed the price of the XSS but not that of the XSX as far as I know.
I read a news that the XSX is $499. While another news mentioned Sony will reveal the price of PS5 tomorrow.

One thing i dislike about Xbox is the naming (same thing happened to Apple when they named one of the Ipad as "New Ipad", sounds so confusing), Xbox series X, why can't they just make the names easier to remember by using 1,2,3, etc. I got a bit of problem to pronounce "XSX" too.

Btw, what is the leak about?

#22,867 ·
I read a news that the XSX is $499. While another news mentioned Sony will reveal the price of PS5 tomorrow.

One thing i dislike about Xbox is the naming (same thing happened to Apple when they named one of the Ipad as "New Ipad", sounds so confusing), Xbox series X, why can't they just make the names easier to remember by using 1,2,3, etc. I got a bit of problem to pronounce "XSX" too.

Btw, what is the leak about?
The XSS price and picture was leaked as well as the XSX and then later Xbox came and made it official but to me it looks like a planned leak. However, MS hasn't confirmed the price of the XSX which is weird as they officially revealed the price for the XSS.

To me they are playing a chess game here and intentionally "Leaked" the stuff revealing the price because they know Sony is just waiting for their move. If i'm not mistaken Sony also made a statement about revealing more info which may include the price which may be 499 and 399 for example. That being said Sony may fall into the trap believing the XSX is at 499 and price the PS5 for 499 as well leaving MS room to come with a 449 price for example since they simply can do that.

I may be wrong here but both companies have been playing chess for a while now and is pretty clear. I also agree about the naming and is probably the worst way to name devices I have seen in quite a while.

#22,868 ·
The XSS price and picture was leaked as well as the XSX and then later Xbox came and made it official but to me it looks like a planned leak. However, MS hasn't confirmed the price of the XSX which is weird as they officially revealed the price for the XSS.

To me they are playing a chess game here and intentionally "Leaked" the stuff revealing the price because they know Sony is just waiting for their move. If i'm not mistaken Sony also made a statement about revealing more info which may include the price which may be 499 and 399 for example. That being said Sony may fall into the trap believing the XSX is at 499 and price the PS5 for 499 as well leaving MS room to come with a 449 price for example since they simply can do that.

I may be wrong here but both companies have been playing chess for a while now and is pretty clear. I also agree about the naming and is probably the worst way to name devices I have seen in quite a while.
This is one of the great parts of competition, we gamers are the one who will be benefited no matter we choose Xbox or PS :)

Since the price might be $499, I am thinking to get the first batch of PS5, but i am worrying i might get a malfunctioned console or a console with hidden issue.

I still haven't played HZD yet, when i get a PS5, it should be one of the games i will play on PS5. I hope it is unlocked to be 60fps on PS5. MHW too, hope the fps can be unlocked to 60fps.

#22,869 ·
This is one of the great parts of competition, we gamers are the one who will be benefited no matter we choose Xbox or PS :)

Since the price might be $499, I am thinking to get the first batch of PS5, but i am worrying i might get a malfunctioned console or a console with hidden issue.

I still haven't played HZD yet, when i get a PS5, it should be one of the games i will play on PS5. I hope it is unlocked to be 60fps on PS5. MHW too, hope the fps can be unlocked to 60fps.
Pony!!!!

just kidding.... competition is always good to keep prices down for us who enjoy games. I recommend you to play HZD and hopefully at higher fps on the PS5 but so far we don't know much about PS4 BC on it. I spent over 50h recently with the PC version and the 60fps makes a huge difference.

Here two of my videos running the game at 60fps:

#22,870 ·
Pony!!!!

just kidding.... competition is always good to keep prices down for us who enjoy games. I recommend you to play HZD and hopefully at higher fps on the PS5 but so far we don't know much about PS4 BC on it. I spent over 50h recently with the PC version and the 60fps makes a huge difference.

Here two of my videos running the game at 60fps:

Looks great, i love Crocodile and Jungle :D

Speaking about Xbox, i suddenly remembered the game almost got me to buy an Xbox. Couldn't remember the name, the main char seems can mount on big monster (or dragon i think), and can control the monster / dragon to fight with other monster / dragon. The game was cancelled. Gear Of wars series is pretty good too. I am easily attracted by games with giant / huge monsters with cool design.

#22,871 · (Edited)
Looks great, i love Crocodile and Jungle :D

Speaking about Xbox, i suddenly remembered the game almost got me to buy an Xbox. Couldn't remember the name, the main char seems can mount on big monster (or dragon i think), and can control the monster / dragon to fight with other monster / dragon. The game was cancelled. Gear Of wars series is pretty good too. I am easily attracted by games with giant / huge monsters with cool design.
"Almost got me to buy an Xbox" hahahahaha! I once used that quote in my signature to make fun of some members(mainly Snicko) of this forum saying exactly that over and over again.... it was almost a meme hehehehe.

Yes, Scalebound could've been awesome and something special but Phil decided to cancel the game and instead bring that shitty Crackdown game. The Gears series is pretty solid but 1-3 are the best in my opinion.

#22,872 ·
Minecraft will get VR support on the PS4:
Us Mojang folks have been bursting to say something about this for ages! PS VR support has actually been a planned PS4 feature since we got the thumbs-up from Sony to bring cross platform play and the Bedrock version to PlayStation 4. There was never any question of would we, just when.
Once we’ve finished the final bits of polish to the experience, the PS VR support will arrive via a patch for the main Minecraft game. Everyone who has Minecraft on PlayStation 4 will get that patch automatically. Download that patch and you’ll get access to the new Minecraft VR functionality
Minecraft had VR support on PC before, this patch brings it to console.

#22,873 ·
"Almost got me to buy an Xbox" hahahahaha! I once used that quote in my signature to make fun of some members(mainly Snicko) of this forum saying exactly that over and over again.... it was almost a meme hehehehe.

Yes, Scalebound could've been awesome and something special but Phil decided to cancel the game and instead bring that shitty Crackdown game. The Gears series is pretty solid but 1-3 are the best in my opinion.
I just watched back the trailer, the game really suits my taste. It has mixed feeling of Dragon Dogma, Monster Hunter, and Devil May Cry.

#22,874 ·
I just watched back the trailer, the game really suits my taste. It has mixed feeling of Dragon Dogma, Monster Hunter, and Devil May Cry.
The game was my most expected game that year. I think there were some real issues with MS and Planitum Games that we will never know. I still stand by the idea that they took way too many projects at that time and couldn't work properly in the game while using MS money the whole time. MS was changing internally and noticed they were throwing money while PG was releasing everything except for Scalebound so they decided to axe the game.

#22,877 ·
I thought they might be combined down the line due to how badly EA has been doing. I think they were the first to come up with a pass, but they've struggled to attract people due to releasing a bunch of uninteresting games. I thought it might be added to the base pass, but adding it to ultimate makes sense too. MS really wants people to stop using the base pass and move to ultimate anyway, it's where they're adding everything (including xcloud now that its out of beta).

Ubisoft also has a pass, but they've been doing better in general, we'll see if they get combined too eventually.

#22,878 ·
Yeah, that's probably what happened... many companies have tried but it seems like MS is the only successful one so far. Ubisoft would be nice too see but just as you said they are doing better so we will see.

The announcement got me off guard though as I was expecting everything but not that.

#22,879 · (Edited)
I have seen the X1S and also had the X1X and IMO they are really beautiful consoles but WTF happened to MS designers? have they smoked some hard stuff lately that they are completely out of touch? I mean.... WTF is going on!!!

The console hardware is pretty great and a steal for the price but design-wise and specially the XSS is FUGLY as FAKK!!! Holy SHIEEEET!

It looks like one of those chinese copy-cat consoles LMAO!

Its such a missed opportunity as they could have done this simple change and look so much better but instead that console looks like a chinese knockoff..... TRASH!!!

.....the funny part about it is that i'm pretty sure that FUGLY console is going to sell A LOT.

Home game console accessory Gadget Product Technology Playstation accessory

#22,880 ·
.....the funny part about it is that i'm pretty sure that FUGLY console is going to sell A LOT.
I'm very curious to see how much it sells. From what I remember, hardware makers found that the best price point to sell something was under 300$. That was years ago, so maybe things changed, but it does put the Series S in a good spot.
On the other hand, we're talking about paying 300$ for 4 tflops versus spending 500$ for 12 tflops. Or 25$ for 4, 35$ for 12. The Series S will release and immediately be weaker than the Xbox One X. I tend to save my money and go for a cheaper option, yet I would still prefer to pay the extra 200$ as the Series S seems like a strange choice for a brand new console.

I don't have any prediction for this, it just seems like a big question mark. 300$ is easy access to the games which will be released for the next 6 years, but if you're gonna buy a console that you'll keep for that long, it seems likely that you'll either go for the 500$ model, or do the 2-year 35$ deal.
I could see their intention being to reach people who stuck with the old, original Xbox One model with this 300$ model. And reach XOX users with the Series X model. I do wonder if early adopters will actually be willing to buy a 300$ console, as I would expect early adopters to be the same kind of people who buy a 500$ console instead.

It's worth a shot either way. The only way I can see this being a mistake is if they only sell 5 copies and decide to stop supporting it. Doubtful tho.