Next Generation Emulation banner

23021 - 23040 of 23080 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
I'm only interested in the big boys as the lower spec ones don't fit my goals so I will wait. Apart from that i'm no longer a fan of day one purchases as history has show us over and over again that launch units are tend to have issues that you will have to deal with. That counts for consoles and everything in general.

This reminded me my not so good experience when buying my first PS4. I never read PS4 news before and after it was out. Only thought about buying it when i realised my PC was outdated and only able to run Dragon Dogma with 20-30+ fps, and that time PS4 was already out a few months (i guess > 6months).

I went to a shop to buy my PS4, only realised it was the first batch when my PS4's disk drive went nut after 3 years (kept rejecting the disc out). Then i read online, first batch of PS4 has this design flaw. After > 6 months, the shop owner sold me oldest version of PS4.... well, i blamed myself for never look for info before i bought it.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Yeah... its wise to look for info before investing your hard earned money. There is something I noticed in the recent PS5 presentation that I believe Sony should have done differently and that's the glossy part as well as the side panel holders. IMO they should have made the glossy part mat and the side panel holders black because it looks really bad and kinda cheap.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I may be wrong, but IMSHO the majority of gamers buying consoles day 1 don't put much thought into the specs, looks, etc of new consoles but want the latest and greatest thing.

I remember a cartoon I liked watching had a brother and sister competing in a box car race for the newest game system. The boy junked his now obsolete system anticipating victory, his sister won, and was using the new gaming system as a doorstop for her bedroom. :p

Reactions: Nightmare

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
I watched a Xbox series X vs XBox One loading speed comparison using MHW, i am really glad these next gen consoles decided to use SSD. Before they announced the consoles would be equipped with SSD, i pessimistically expected they would continue using HDD to cut cost. May be PC users won't feel anything, but for a long time console users like me, that is really a something to celebrate (my PS4 pro has SSD, but that is not enough if most users' consoles aren't equip with it, i still need to wait for them to finish loading before we can start the matches).

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
I watched a Xbox series X vs XBox One loading speed comparison using MHW, i am really glad these next gen consoles decided to use SSD. Before they announced the consoles would be equipped with SSD, i pessimistically expected they would continue using HDD to cut cost. May be PC users won't feel anything, but for a long time console users like me, that is really a something to celebrate (my PS4 pro has SSD, but that is not enough if most users' consoles aren't equip with it, i still need to wait for them to finish loading before we can start the matches).
SSD and most important NVME makes a huge different in loading times. I have a pretty fast 1TB NVME(faster than the XSX NVME with a peak of 3.5GB/s) as my main drive and have few games installed that load drastically faster. Apart from games a lot of apps load faster too and a good example is Bluestacks which used to take minutes to load and now check this out:

My biggest concern with next generation consoles is the fact that the main SSD is soldered in the mainboard. SSD have a certain lifespan and once they die the console is pretty much rendered useless and that is a scenario none of the two have explained so far.

The issue can be even worse when people pick up a used console in the future without knowing how long are they going to be able to use the console before the SSD die. Without having the ability to replace it those people are literally screwed.

UPDATE:
After checking some of the images of the internal SSD of the XSX there is a possibility that it can be replaced. MS also said that it uses the exact same SSD as the one you put in the expansion slot so probably it can be replaced in case it fails. Still... both companies should explain such a scenario because right now is not looking good and in the case of the PS5 is now official that is soldered in the mainboard which makes it even worse.

Here the image of the XSX:

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
SSD and most important NVME makes a huge different in loading times. I have a pretty fast 1TB NVME(faster than the XSX NVME with a peak of 3.5GB/s) as my main drive and have few games installed that load drastically faster. Apart from games a lot of apps load faster too and a good example is Bluestacks which used to take minutes to load and now check this out:

My biggest concern with next generation consoles is the fact that the main SSD is soldered in the mainboard. SSD have a certain lifespan and once they die the console is pretty much rendered useless and that is a scenario none of the two have explained so far.

The issue can be even worse when people pick up a used console in the future without knowing how long are they going to be able to use the console before the SSD die. Without having the ability to replace it those people are literally screwed.

UPDATE:
After checking some of the images of the internal SSD of the XSX there is a possibility that it can be replaced. MS also said that it uses the exact same SSD as the one you put in the expansion slot so probably it can be replaced in case it fails. Still... both companies should explain such a scenario because right now is not looking good and in the case of the PS5 is now official that is soldered in the mainboard which makes it even worse.

Here the image of the XSX:
View attachment 201740
Since these consoles have extra slot for SSD, I guess, if the main one is dead, the expansion one can be used as the main drive by installing OS on it? Hopefully there is a way to solve this.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Since these consoles have extra slot for SSD, I guess, if the main one is dead, the expansion one can be used as the main drive by installing OS on it? Hopefully there is a way to solve this.
From a technical standpoint is very possible but it has a huge issue they can't solve which is why I doubt they are going to do that. Expansions can be easily removed and even worse in the case of the XSX which can be easily be pull out of the console at any time. That alone makes it really unreliable for the system to store the OS there but I may be wrong here.

Let's hope they provide more info on the matter because I have seen SSD die on me in my computer and I have no idea when my NVME will die.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
Sony has released more info about the backward compatibility : PS4 games on PS5: Your top questions answered

Looks good so far, imo. Still no news about PS5 preorder here tho.

-------

Shining Force series was pretty good, Sega should revive this series on Next Gen. Front Mission series also, why these good games are all dead.
That's really good news and let's see what are the benefits. DF recently made a video of Assassins creed unity which was the game they used to benchmark the current generation and it seems like the XSX runs the game at locked 60fps which is impressive. The PS4 have some great games such as Bloodborne that I would love to see running at solid 30fps at least or even better at 60fps.

As someone who loves Emulation to improve past generations games I really appreciate backwards compatibility and the benefits it offers to gamers.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
That's really good news and let's see what are the benefits. DF recently made a video of Assassins creed unity which was the game they used to benchmark the current generation and it seems like the XSX runs the game at locked 60fps which is impressive. The PS4 have some great games such as Bloodborne that I would love to see running at solid 30fps at least or even better at 60fps.

As someone who loves Emulation to improve past generations games I really appreciate backwards compatibility and the benefits it offers to gamers.

I somehow expect all the current games would run at consistent 60fps (with 1080p at least), even on PS5. If these Next Gen unable to do it, that would be very disappointing. For me, it is a minimum requirement since these Next Gen should be far more powerful and these current Gen's games don't even using RT.

I checked the video, current gens (before Pro or Xbox One X were out) were really bad. It reminded me the Witcher 3 was running at 19-30 fps, no idea how i could almost finish the game on the PS4. I used to be a person who felt very unhappy when seeing fps dropping from 60 to 59.

I am kinda pessimistic on Next Gen, i guess it won't take them long to reach a stage that every upcoming games are 30fps with 4K. Heard some new games would be offering performance mode, this would be a good option for people like me who would choose performance mode over 4K. I think can't expect too much from USD 500+- consoles, what i hope is, there will be more and more exclusives coming to PC, and the waiting time can be reduced to 2-6months max, depends on games.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
I somehow expect all the current games would run at consistent 60fps (with 1080p at least), even on PS5. If these Next Gen unable to do it, that would be very disappointing. For me, it is a minimum requirement since these Next Gen should be far more powerful and these current Gen's games don't even using RT.

I checked the video, current gens (before Pro or Xbox One X were out) were really bad. It reminded me the Witcher 3 was running at 19-30 fps, no idea how i could almost finish the game on the PS4. I used to be a person who felt very unhappy when seeing fps dropping from 60 to 59.

I am kinda pessimistic on Next Gen, i guess it won't take them long to reach a stage that every upcoming games are 30fps with 4K. Heard some new games would be offering performance mode, this would be a good option for people like me who would choose performance mode over 4K. I think can't expect too much from USD 500+- consoles, what i hope is, there will be more and more exclusives coming to PC, and the waiting time can be reduced to 2-6months max, depends on games.
I originally wanted to buy both the PS5 and XSX as I personally like consoles but the more info I check the less I want them. I see so many things that makes me hold back and just stay on PC and FPS is one of them. From the two I believe we will see more 30fps games on the PS5 and the reason is quite obvious. Playstation games are notorious to be story driven games and as such they will try to prioritize visuals over fps as much as they can not to mention the console seems not to be as powerful as they want us to believe.

When I see games such as Spiderman Miles Morales which is a cross-gen title from the way it looks offering a performance mode at the start of the generation I smell just that. I think the XSX will do slightly better in that department but not because of hardware but because MS seems to care more about FPS than Sony do with their games.

My biggest issue with both consoles right now is the soldered SSD as I see tons of issues coming and don't believe they will offer a good solution but will probably force people to buy a mid-gen console once again. For that and many other reasons I will invest on PC as I choose to play the games how I want and not forced to use pre-defined settings made by developers to please the majority. As you said I really hope more games start to release on PC faster so that we don't have to wait long.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
I originally wanted to buy both the PS5 and XSX as I personally like consoles but the more info I check the less I want them. I see so many things that makes me hold back and just stay on PC and FPS is one of them. From the two I believe we will see more 30fps games on the PS5 and the reason is quite obvious. Playstation games are notorious to be story driven games and as such they will try to prioritize visuals over fps as much as they can not to mention the console seems not to be as powerful as they want us to believe.

When I see games such as Spiderman Miles Morales which is a cross-gen title from the way it looks offering a performance mode at the start of the generation I smell just that. I think the XSX will do slightly better in that department but not because of hardware but because MS seems to care more about FPS than Sony do with their games.
IMO, for first party games may be, but 3rd party games i believe would be going to be 30fps + 4K for both consoles quite soon. (if every game makers would include a performance mode, then would be a great news for us)

Anyway, it is interesting to see how things will turn out especially with Microsoft has 2 versions of next Gen consoles, wondering how game makers would make a game and need to deal with 3 difference consoles with difference performances and strong point.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
IMO, for first party games may be, but 3rd party games i believe would be going to be 30fps + 4K for both consoles quite soon. (if every game makers would include a performance mode, then would be a great news for us)

Anyway, it is interesting to see how things will turn out especially with Microsoft has 2 versions of next Gen consoles, wondering how game makers would make a game and need to deal with 3 difference consoles with difference performances and strong point.
I think we will have to wait and see but IMO the XSS is not a good deal even if is 200 bucks cheaper. The console only have 500GB of SSD which is really small and having to buy a expensive memory card will put you at the same price as a XSX which to me is the better option.

As for different hardware I personally don't worry since developers are used to develop for different systems and different hardware. Lets keep in mind that many games and engines run on PC, XB1, X1X, PS4 and PS4 Pro and in few cases even the Nintendo Switch which as we know are completely different so i'm not worried about that.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
In a different news.... it seems like someone from my country got his hands on a XSX and made the first unboxing of the console. I recognize the Dominican accent which is impossible to fake but what is interesting is that he claims MS actually sent him the console which I personally don't believe.

Whatever the case the dude have a XSX and is damn real.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
It seems like my assumptions about the SSD in next-gen consoles were correct after all as i'm not the only one expressing my concern but also the difference between MS and Sony approach.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
The new Spiderman on PS5 will have a performance mode with dynamic 4K + 60fps. While the graphics mode is 30fps + 4K + RT.

This is what i hope they implement on every PS5 title. Give us options to choose between 60fps and 30fps.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,701 Posts
I don't really have much up with halloween and f2p games changing their looks for it, but at least PSO2 has a catchy hiphop tune to go with it.

Speaking of which, does anyone here play it?

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
Was interested about PSO but never really try it.

Microsoft seems doing a pretty good job on advertising XSX. Seeing a lot of gameplay wvideos with the titles "4K 60FPS". They do know what gamers want.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,133 Posts
MS marketing right now is insane they even go as far as made a meme a reality. It's kinda funny as that meme was born out of the idea that the XSX was huge while the PS5 not but the whole thing ended quite the opposite.

23021 - 23040 of 23080 Posts