Next Generation Emulation banner

22741 - 22760 of 22961 Posts

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
In early April, I picked up a Humble Bundle with Octahedron: Transfixed Edition included.in the bundle. When I saw the video promoting the fame, I was unimpressed but after playing it I enjoyed playing the game

I was wondering if anyone else felt that way, the the video of the game didn't make it look as fun as it is when you play it.

I also liked the soundtrack enough to buy it. Being able to upgrade the game with a discount is nice.

When I've played it enough I'll do a review.

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
adventure.jpg

Yes, I'm playing an Atari 2600 game on a PS2 emulator on a PC. Yes, I'm that crazy. I just wanted to play Battlezone legally. The rest is gravy...

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Rumors: a new Silent Hill (reboot?) might be announced soon during a PS5 game showcase.

Konami has been sharing Silent Hill stuff online and trying to downplay it afterward, but a "source" who has previously leaked stuff about Resident Evil is now sharing that theyll soon announce a new Silent Hill game. It should be from a new developer (not brand new, just unattached to SH) and should be revealed soon during a PS5 showcase (unannounced yet).

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,080 Posts
I watched most of your GOW gameplay videos before :) I am easily attracted to games that have giant monsters.

Sekiro's art style looks really nice, i like those slow motion / cool effects. GOW is on my must play list.
I used the Xenia emulator and they run pretty well except for 2 with some minor glitches.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,080 Posts

And just to be super clear — there will be no PlayStation Studios updates in Thursday’s episode. There won’t be any updates around hardware, business, preorders, or dates either. On Thursday, our focus is squarely on showcasing some cool upcoming games coming to the broader PlayStation ecosystem. Should be fun! - PlayStation Blog
We have reached such a level of stupidity in the game media and in the industry as a whole that companies now have to explain to their audience what they are going to do as if they were first class children. The reason for all this is obvious, because everything is turned around and interpreted in such a way that the media can create 1000 stories and rumors just to make news.

It is really sad to see how humanity has sunk to such a level, but the worst thing is that we know it will get worse.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I've been a bit disappointed by the rotation of games leaving/joining the game pass over the past few months. I definitely love how many indie games are being added, but we've had big names leaving and the replacements aren't quite up to the same level. I don't know if it's because it got expensive to keep them around, or if maybe Microsoft is still signing big names, and keeping them for a huge game pass announcement in the near future. My hope is they're still signing them, but keeping it secret for a XSX announcement where they'll announce all the big titles being added at the same time.

Leaving this month:
Devil May Cry 5 (Console)
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (Console & PC)
Space Hulk: Tactics (PC)
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (PC)
Yoku’s Island Express (Console & PC)

Being added this month:
Darksiders: Genesis (Console)
It Lurks Below (Console & PC)
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
Trailmakers (Console & PC)
UnderMine (Console & PC)
Xeno Crisis (Console & PC)
Final Fantasy VII HD (Console & PC)

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,080 Posts
It is the nature of such a service, and it will be time when good games go away and bad ones arrive. However, it's a matter of taste, because the only game worth leaving is DMC5, while Darksiders, The Dark Picture Anthology (which is a good game by the way) and Xeno Crisis are good games for me and are a good replacement for the games that leave soon.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
It is the nature of such a service, and it will be time when good games go away and bad ones arrive. However, it's a matter of taste, because the only game worth leaving is DMC5, while Darksiders, The Dark Picture Anthology (which is a good game by the way) and Xeno Crisis are good games for me and are a good replacement for the games that leave soon.
It's more about the trend over the past few months.
Games they've lost recently:
  • Life is Strange 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • Dead Rising 4
  • Metal Gear Solid V
  • Undertale
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Prey
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Superhot
  • Deus Ex Mankind Divided
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Just cause 4
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
  • Saints Row 3
I've been using and enjoying the game pass, but 2020 seems to have reversed the flow, with more "big" or well-known games leaving, and fewer big games joining. We're still getting a steady flow of games, but it seems to mainly consist of indie games nowadays. We still get the occasional big titles, but they now appear to be the exception, the sugary treat in a bowl of bland cereal.
To me, it seems as if we get 1 big title for every 2 big titles lost in 2020.

I previously saw the Pass as being a way to save money since it gave you access to the big titles you would be interested in buying. But with the big games leaving, the pass instead seems to be losing that status, and instead being a way to try games with a smaller budgets. I don't have an issue with that - I love games with a smaller budget - but I wonder if the pass is losing its identity.
Before: get the pass, don't buy big names. Now: get the pass, still buy big names, but get access to small names too.
It's still good, but I would argue it's not AS good as it used to be, and it's not the same kickass deal we used to get. It's still a way to discover new fun games we hadn't heard about, and that remains valuable, but I see people having to go back to buying popular multiplatform games where they previously got them for free with the pass.

Either way: as mentioned, my hope is that the dried out flow of big games is simply an attempt to hoard them for a huge announcement later this year. If they want to hype up people, being able to announce "here's 15 amazing games coming to the pass all at once" will have a bigger impact over "we're adding 3 games for 5 months in a row".

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,080 Posts
It may be because I see it here as a side service that I happen to have access until end of 2022 that cost me 1€ about a year ago. For instance I don't own Gears 5(payed around 100 bucks for Gears 4 in the past), FH4, Ori 2, Street of Rage, Hellblade, Metro Exodus, remnant from the ashes, Cuphead, DMC5, A Plague Tale, Minecraft Dungeons(which my kids enjoy), Rage 2 and many other games I enjoyed the past 12 months without paying a single penny.

It may be because you are using the subscription and have to pay every month while I don't even have to care for quite a long time before I have to pay the very first subscription fee.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
It may be because I see it here as a side service that I happen to have access until end of 2022 that cost me 1€ about a year ago. For instance I don't own Gears 5(payed around 100 bucks for Gears 4 in the past), FH4, Ori 2, Street of Rage, Hellblade, Metro Exodus, remnant from the ashes, Cuphead, DMC5, A Plague Tale, Minecraft Dungeons(which my kids enjoy), Rage 2 and many other games I enjoyed the past 12 months without paying a single penny.

It may be because you are using the subscription and have to pay every month while I don't even have to care for quite a long time before I have to pay the very first subscription fee.
Ive only been paying 1$ due to the PC pass being in a semi-permanent state of "trial". As long as you cancel, even if you fully finished your first month, you can resubscribe for 1$.

And I dont know if the price being paid really matters. Its an observation about more games leaving than being added, I think its worth analyzing. When they remove DMC5 and Metro and replace it with 1 good game, it slowly reduces how many good games we have at our hands. The question is what will the floor be, when will it stop shrinking. Theres no answer to this, but its something ive noticed as the games get cycled in and out. 2019 had an impressive cycle, 2020 appears to be a poor cycle.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,080 Posts
It's a good observation, and as I just said, it's different for me because I consider it a side service and I rarely check anything unless it's something that really interests me, like Gears 5, Ori, Streets of Rage, A plage Tale and so on.

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
Nintendo is selling refurb SNES Mini and I ordered one a week ago. It came in the mail today.

I already hooked it up to my monitor and played some Secret of (Depression) Mana, Legend of Zelda Link to the Past, and Donkey Kong Country.

Considering SquareEnix didn't do a very good job of porting Secret of Mana to Steam, and the other games playable, I'm happy having spent $80 ($69.99 + $5.00 S/H and 6% tax) on it.

Yeah, yeah, a fancy box with an emulator and ROMa.... It's legal at least.

I also have a Genesis I picked up from Gamestop used.

I have my first 2 consoles back.

·
332 Posts
It looks more like a very bad PS1 emulator or a very early N64 emulation. Mipmapping (LOD) Hi-Res textures in meshes? none of the N64 games use Hi-Res textures on meshes. The NPC textures are extremely low quality even for N64.
A FPS game in N64 without lens flares? Fingers instead of stumps? LOL! That's the joke.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,687 Posts
Replayed the first Halo and I was reminded how repetitive the level design of that game is.

Playing Halo 2 (Anniversary) now, I have to say it has some very pretty cutscenes.

Actually the very first scene in the game is a new one set during the events of Halo 5 where Spartan Locke explains to Arbiter he is hunting the Spartan. This scene kind of happens in Halo 5 but it's quite different. I watched some trailers to better understand some people's frustration with Halo 5's story and the whole buildup suggested quite a rivalry between Locke and Master Chief, but it's really mellowed down in the final game. Anyway, after this new scene we go "back in time" and the actual story of Halo 2 begins.

22741 - 22760 of 22961 Posts