Next Generation Emulation banner

22721 - 22740 of 22929 Posts

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,063 Posts
I find that tech to be excellent, but I'm still curious to see how AMD's version will perform. Nvidia benefit from having polished it over time (the early versions sucked) and from running it on dedicated hardware (helps avoid the performance impact).

Im still sold on it, and I see myself getting a new AMD card in the near future, but I do wonder how itll compare to actual DLSS2.
That is a good question, but time will tell. DLSS 2 is Nvidia's implementation, and they have a long time in development, MS is about to release their own version on consoles with the XSX. Sony's implementation is just a patent at the moment, which may or may not see the light of day, but at least there is something. In the end we will have 3 different implementations with probably 3 different results and performance levels. However, the problem I see is that Sony may be a bit late, as the other 2 may be far in development and optimizations. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's almost impossible to be on the same level from the beginning when you do your own implementation.

AMD on Windows will most probably use DirectML and down the road probably an alternative will appear.

I'm just reading through the samples and maybe I will toy myself with the code as is something that interest me.

A sample that uses DirectML to execute a basic super-resolution model to upscale video from 540p to 1080p in real time.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,073 Posts
Didn't they have something called Mixed Reality? What happened to that? Oh, right...
I have been following mixed reality since many years ago. The problem of MR is, none of the companies can find a solution (with current materials / hardwares) to fix the field of view issues. You either have a small FOV with better resolution, or higher FOV with low resolution.

Their latest MR device is called Hololens 2 , which is not aiming for consumer market, cost around USD 3500.

I am a big fan of MR, but the current situation for this tech is really bad, i think we need 5-10 more years to see something great.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Sea of Thieves isn't even getting released for a while?

I think the other one looked stupid but that's just my opinion.

After playing I am Setsua I don't take "this RPG is just like .... Chrono Trigger...Secret of Mana, Mario RPG...Insert popular game name.

I certainly didn't and don't believe I am Setsuna is worth $40...I'll finish it eventually...but the grinding needed to be leveled up to face the final boss...UGH...

Chrono Trigger and Secret of (Depression) 'er Mana were the only 2 RPGs I played from beginning to end without getting burned out (on the Super NES),,,

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Sea of Thieves isn't even getting released for a while?

I think the other one looked stupid but that's just my opinion.
Sea of Thieves did release on Steam a little while ago. It sold a bit over 1m copies on Steam.
What the hell is going on here........not a fan of neither of those two games but goddammit!
I think it's a mix between receiving exposure from the recent presentation, and a lack of big releases lately. Not to say there hasn't been any, but it's July and the big guns are coming out in November.
I think they also benefit from a lower price point, it's a good way to get people into a multiplayer game. I like seeing smaller budget, cheaper multiplayer games being available.

With that said: the sales are good, but they're not exactly top 10 games on PC right now.
I'm looking at the activity - how many people are playing the games - and Sea of Thieves is currently #58. It's below games like Dark Souls 3, No Man's Sky, and BARELY above Left 4 Dead 2.
That's not to say this isn't good, selling over 1m copies is great, but it might explain why you find this shocking. It puts their popularity into context and shows where the game stands in term of actual playerbase. Sea of Thieves received a great amount of content updates, and I'm glad to see their "second launch" (in a way) go well.

I'm not finding data on the amount of people playing Grounded. It might be a bit too early, we could get a better idea tomorrow or next week.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Ok it was another game I was thinking of...for some reason when I tried to see it on steam it was blocked because of a preference. I had a hard time figuring out how to show it.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
It was sea of stars I was thinking about...sorry...

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,063 Posts
I think it's a mix between receiving exposure from the recent presentation, and a lack of big releases lately. Not to say there hasn't been any, but it's July and the big guns are coming out in November.
I think they also benefit from a lower price point, it's a good way to get people into a multiplayer game. I like seeing smaller budget, cheaper multiplayer games being available.

With that said: the sales are good, but they're not exactly top 10 games on PC right now.
I'm looking at the activity - how many people are playing the games - and Sea of Thieves is currently #58. It's below games like Dark Souls 3, No Man's Sky, and BARELY above Left 4 Dead 2.
That's not to say this isn't good, selling over 1m copies is great, but it might explain why you find this shocking. It puts their popularity into context and shows where the game stands in term of actual playerbase. Sea of Thieves received a great amount of content updates, and I'm glad to see their "second launch" (in a way) go well.

I'm not finding data on the amount of people playing Grounded. It might be a bit too early, we could get a better idea tomorrow or next week.
I'm surprised because these two games are on GamePass, and I thought people would go this way to play these games cheaper and more, instead of just getting them on Steam. I have GamePass until 2022, and I'm not interested in these games, but maybe I'll try them in the future.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I'm surprised because these two games are on GamePass, and I thought people would go this way to play these games cheaper and more, instead of just getting them on Steam. I have GamePass until 2022, and I'm not interested in these games, but maybe I'll try them in the future.
Some of the people I play board games with were interesting in playing multiplayer games together during the virus, and when I told them about the game pass, the reception was a little mixed.
At first, they loved that the 1$ trial offer meant we could very easily try the games, but most of them weren't interested in actually subscribing long-term to the pass. They mentioned that if they loved a game and we were gonna keep playing it, they'd rather just buy it. They didn't like the concept of subscribing long-term to a service to rent those games, they only liked a short subscription.
I personally don't mind, but there's still a strong market for buying-and-owning the game, so I'm not too surprised about the pass games selling copies on Steam.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
2 shooters I picked up off Humble store for about $25-$26 total after tax, There went my August Steam budget.

Reactions: Samor

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I like Darius but it will be a while before I'm good at it.

Boy, Yakuza doesn't need much hardware on the Steam version IIRC. I don't have Kiwami 2. just 0 and 1.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,686 Posts
That's exactly the difference, Kiwami 2 runs on a much newer engine (Dragon Engine) that could only reach 30fps on a base ps4.

Considering the graphics seem to be the same, it's not even a bad port, just too much for the base xbox one hardware. It's still playable, though... either way I already had it on pc anyway.

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,063 Posts
Some of the people I play board games with were interesting in playing multiplayer games together during the virus, and when I told them about the game pass, the reception was a little mixed.
At first, they loved that the 1$ trial offer meant we could very easily try the games, but most of them weren't interested in actually subscribing long-term to the pass. They mentioned that if they loved a game and we were gonna keep playing it, they'd rather just buy it. They didn't like the concept of subscribing long-term to a service to rent those games, they only liked a short subscription.
I personally don't mind, but there's still a strong market for buying-and-owning the game, so I'm not too surprised about the pass games selling copies on Steam.
Yeah... I know quite few that don't want to subscribe but rather buy the game. In my case i'm set until 2022 so I don't have to worry for a long time ;)

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,073 Posts
Suddenly thought about Lost Planet series. LP gave me so much good memory with all those giant monsters and movie like scenes. This series is like Dino Crisis, died or stopped at 3...

Btw, Gear of wars gave me very similar feel to LP (both are 3rd person shooting games with giant monsters), and interestingly they both came out on the same year 2006 (GOW was Nov, LP was Dec).

·
Crazy GFX coder
17,063 Posts
Suddenly thought about Lost Planet series. LP gave me so much good memory with all those giant monsters and movie like scenes. This series is like Dino Crisis, died or stopped at 3...

Btw, Gear of wars gave me very similar feel to LP (both are 3rd person shooting games with giant monsters), and interestingly they both came out on the same year 2006 (GOW was Nov, LP was Dec).
I played the older Gears or War games and they are insanely good. Sekiro in the other hand have that awesome FROM SOFTWARE sense of weight and insanely good fighting style that is like no other.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,073 Posts
I played the older Gears or War games and they are insanely good. Sekiro in the other hand have that awesome FROM SOFTWARE sense of weight and insanely good fighting style that is like no other.

I watched most of your GOW gameplay videos before :) I am easily attracted to games that have giant monsters.

Sekiro's art style looks really nice, i like those slow motion / cool effects. GOW is on my must play list.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,686 Posts
I really started playing halo guardians (finally, it was delayed a bit because of multiple yakuza series playthroughs for 4 years) and I quite like it. The titular "guardians" look pretty impressive too.

22721 - 22740 of 22929 Posts