Next Generation Emulation banner

22601 - 22620 of 22651 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
For instance look at God of War a game that won GOTY. Is God of War better than Gears 5? that is subjective but what isn't are the facts that while almost nobody is playing God of War anymore nor even think about it
A website which tries to accurately track how many people are playing a game shows over 1m people playing God of War over the past month. 500 000 were returning players getting a new trophy, while 600 000 were new players.

That said, it can be difficult to know just how exact those numbers are. A year ago, Sony said the game had sold over 10m copies. The website says that today, 20m players total have launched the game. They do mention that their numbers are higher for every game since they dont track sales, but players. The player count tends to be higher than sales due people sharing a console (one game, two accounts on same console), due to player sharing game with friends, due to people reselling their game, due to people renting games, due to promotion allowing you to play a game without owning it, etc. In God of War's case, I expect that PSnow influenced that number. They base their numbers both on leaked data and by looking at trophies/achievements earned.

More to the point: 1m people playing the game over the last month isnt "nobody playing or thinking about it". Even if we assume their number are 200% (down from 20m played/shared/rentwd to 10m sold by Sony) of what they should be (highly doubtful) it would still be 550 000 players who shouldnt be dismissed. Or about 250 000 returning players and 300 000 new players. The website believes the margin of error to actually be around 10%, so could be higher than 1.15m by 10%, or lower by 10%, which is still around 1m.

I think you may be underestimating the lifespan of strong single player games. When a game is good, people will come back to it.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I'd prefer GotY be selected per genre and if a genre doesn't have a game good enough for GotY, then there is no GotY in that genre.

While I don't like the political skewing of what TV shows, movies, and music receive awards, I don't like comparing FPS to Racing games to RPG to MMO.

Reactions: Nightmare

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
The term seems to have lost all meaning, with GOTY Edition simply meaning "includes all dlc". Its a bit like every radio station claiming to be #1 in some way.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
A website which tries to accurately track how many people are playing a game shows over 1m people playing God of War over the past month. 500 000 were returning players getting a new trophy, while 600 000 were new players.

That said, it can be difficult to know just how exact those numbers are. A year ago, Sony said the game had sold over 10m copies. The website says that today, 20m players total have launched the game. They do mention that their numbers are higher for every game since they dont track sales, but players. The player count tends to be higher than sales due people sharing a console (one game, two accounts on same console), due to player sharing game with friends, due to people reselling their game, due to people renting games, due to promotion allowing you to play a game without owning it, etc. In God of War's case, I expect that PSnow influenced that number. They base their numbers both on leaked data and by looking at trophies/achievements earned.

More to the point: 1m people playing the game over the last month isnt "nobody playing or thinking about it". Even if we assume their number are 200% (down from 20m played/shared/rentwd to 10m sold by Sony) of what they should be (highly doubtful) it would still be 550 000 players who shouldnt be dismissed. Or about 250 000 returning players and 300 000 new players. The website believes the margin of error to actually be around 10%, so could be higher than 1.15m by 10%, or lower by 10%, which is still around 1m.

I think you may be underestimating the lifespan of strong single player games. When a game is good, people will come back to it.
I think most of it are people who get the game later on(purchase from second hand or deals) that play the game but those games barely have replayeability and that is a very important factor. Some people tend to come back and replay some of those games but is nothing compared to games that offer multiplayer experiences where people keep playing over and over.

Single player games are short experiences and that's their nature while multiplayer based games can last an eternity.....GTAV anyone??? 3 generations and beyond lol!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I think most of it are people who get the game later on(purchase from second hand or deals) that play the game but those games barely have replayeability and that is a very important factor. Some people tend to come back and replay some of those games but is nothing compared to games that offer multiplayer experiences where people keep playing over and over.

Single player games are short experiences and that's their nature while multiplayer based games can last an eternity.....GTAV anyone??? 3 generations and beyond lol!
I'm not arguing against how much potential for longevity multiplayer games have, since that's a given. I just think we shouldn't discount how long of a life a single-player can rock. The number of gamers who already owned God of War and came back to play it again appears to be higher than the amount of gamers who played Gears 5 in the same span of time (based on estimates from Gears 5 fans themselves, they put it at 100k max, many of them aim lower). Honestly, I'm not arguing about how well a multiplayer game can do. It's just that you called it 'facts' that God of War wasn't played or talked about anymore, while Gears 5 was. It appears to be the opposite. And that seems to be where a well-received SP will get people coming back, while a poorly received MP will make the fans move to a different game while awaiting a sequel (or a great patch to breathe life back into the game, I wouldn't give up on it yet).

A strong multiplayer game can mean a huge and long hit (like Counter Strike, Rocket League, Warframe, Minecraft, fricking Team Fortress 2 is still going strong), but even Single-Player games can have a long life. I disagree with calling SP games short experiences, not just because some of them can last forever (Witcher 3, Stardew Valley) but simply because good games stick with people and get replayed a lot. People still mod Vampires: Bloodlines, they still speedrun Zelda, they still revisit TLOU to prepare for the sequel, and they still play God of War and Spiderman a lot apparently.
Once again: I'm not arguing against MP or saying that MP can't give you more play time than SP. Of course MP can last a lifetime, I might go back to WoW eventually. I'm just arguing against dismissing SP as being short, or saying that a SP game becomes irrelevant after only 2 years.
When a game is good, it will be replayed, and it will last a long time.

Hell, if that wasn't the case, people wouldn't be so mad when a console doesn't have backward compatibility. I don't think they're trying to log on the servers for Killzone 2.
There's also a reason why we're on a forum about emulations. Good games stick with you.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
I'm not arguing against how much potential for longevity multiplayer games have, since that's a given. I just think we shouldn't discount how long of a life a single-player can rock. The number of gamers who already owned God of War and came back to play it again appears to be higher than the amount of gamers who played Gears 5 in the same span of time (based on estimates from Gears 5 fans themselves, they put it at 100k max, many of them aim lower). Honestly, I'm not arguing about how well a multiplayer game can do. It's just that you called it 'facts' that God of War wasn't played or talked about anymore, while Gears 5 was. It appears to be the opposite. And that seems to be where a well-received SP will get people coming back, while a poorly received MP will make the fans move to a different game while awaiting a sequel (or a great patch to breathe life back into the game, I wouldn't give up on it yet).

A strong multiplayer game can mean a huge and long hit (like Counter Strike, Rocket League, Warframe, Minecraft, fricking Team Fortress 2 is still going strong), but even Single-Player games can have a long life. I disagree with calling SP games short experiences, not just because some of them can last forever (Witcher 3, Stardew Valley) but simply because good games stick with people and get replayed a lot. People still mod Vampires: Bloodlines, they still speedrun Zelda, they still revisit TLOU to prepare for the sequel, and they still play God of War and Spiderman a lot apparently.
Once again: I'm not arguing against MP or saying that MP can't give you more play time than SP. Of course MP can last a lifetime, I might go back to WoW eventually. I'm just arguing against dismissing SP as being short, or saying that a SP game becomes irrelevant after only 2 years.
When a game is good, it will be replayed, and it will last a long time.

Hell, if that wasn't the case, people wouldn't be so mad when a console doesn't have backward compatibility. I don't think they're trying to log on the servers for Killzone 2.
There's also a reason why we're on a forum about emulations. Good games stick with you.
It depends because the SP you are talking about are of a different kind and mostly the ones I praise the most. For instance Zelda, Bloodborne, HZD, The Witcher and many more. The ones i'm specifically talking are the cinematic ones which is where God of War kinda fits in but not completely while Detroit Become Human fits entirely in that cathegory.

I should have been more specific when saying SP but yeah I meant more the cinematic types.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
As for your gamestat website its hard to say because while they have full stats on Playstation games you don't on Xbox games except for a list and numbers while on the Playstation side you have a link to each game. When I see different behaviours that is the moment I stop looking at the numbers and stop taking them serious regardless who they are.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
As for your gamestat website its hard to say because while they have full stats on Playstation games you don't on Xbox games except for a list and numbers while on the Playstation side you have a link to each game. When I see different behaviours that is the moment I stop looking at the numbers and stop taking them serious regardless who they are.

I know, it's why I decided not to use their stats for the Xbox. The stats for the playstation seem believable since they've got far more info to get their numbers from. They got access to leaks and trophies. They didnt have access to the same info for Xbox, so I didn't look at their numbers.

It's why I went with the fans for Gears 5. The fans were the ones complaining about a low player count with the game, and making quite low guesses.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GearsOfWar/comments/fp0yiy (I believe the 146k refers to international global reviews, which strangely reverts to a much smaller number for our own region when opening the link(even 146k would be lower tho)): Gears 5 has over 100 k active players?
Some of them had a good point about Gears being far less popular than BF2, which tends to have fewer than 20k players.
Supposedly, the biggest single day (not month, to avoid confusion with previous numbers) was 100k, which is good but less than what previous games did despite requiring full price: Gears 3 Had More TA Players than Gears 5 in its Launch Week

Like I mentioned previously: I unfortunately don't have solid hard numbers for Gears 5, I just have what the fans report about the playerbase being low.
We do have solid numbers for Steam, but they're incredibly low and I don't think they're fair when it comes to Gears.

Also the formatting is weird due to the links showing up as previews.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
Gears 5 wasn't receive well by fans and in the past I did not understand it but after playing Gears 2 and 3 I understood how wrong I was and the reason why Gears 4 and 5 were receive so poorly.

It's on my to-do list to write my thoughts on the matter and also why I said i'm glad Rod is gone from the team which leaves nothing in the way for a fresh start.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Thanks to a loan from my sweetie, I now have a Sega Genesis model 2 with RCA (RYW cables) and can play my Genesis games, even the ones with yellow (bootleg?) that bypassed the Sega Security Lockout.

I played an awful game of Crue Ball which I used to beat, and a mediocre game of Sonic 2 (which I rented way too much back in the day.)

Yes, I have Sega Genesis collections but playing the real thing is fun. It was only $25 for the system and $11 (after shipping) for the cable.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,651 Posts
Playing No Man's Sky now as it's on gamepass. The current game (with all the updates) is quite good, there is really a lot to explore and to do... initially I thought it was a bit like minecraft in space but there's more to it. At some point I discovered it's quite lucrative to just attack cargo fleet and loot them for all its worth. Not good for your rep but excellent for the cashflow.
Bought a ship from a merchant on a space station that's prettier than mine and set off to another star system. Currently a bit stranded on a planet without hyperdrive or ability to teleport, but that's part of the charm - there should be a way to solve this.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Those are free games, those are bonuses... They had Star Wars Battlefront II and Call of Duty: WWII last month and now they are angry because they didn't get something as good or better?

I think people nowadays forgot about appreciation / be grateful, and tend to complain about everything.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
And the day certainly has come....

THE LAST OF US 2
7.5/10

I was thinking in a 8 since I believed that it totally deserve it but after my last run I just took my time to actually think about the experience, the good and the bad to give the final note that I believe is fair for the game and what it has to offer.

THE GOOD
TLOU2 is by far the most graphically impressive game I have played on any platform and certainly a benchmark for any game that is in the industry. Besides the very few bugs I encountered the attention to detail is bar none incredible and the animations are not just the best in the industry but the best and smoothest I have seen so far (even though the game got slightly downgraded in that area from the E3 demo shown in the past). Walking through the different areas makes you use the snapshot feature to capture great moments and check the details of certain areas and is indeed a pleasure to the eyes to watch this game in motion.

I have never seen a game that looks as great as TLOU 2 and ND certainly did a job that I never thought a game developer would be able to pull off.

THE BAD
The graphics are certainly one of the strongest points of the game but at the same time it is the biggest flaw at a certain degree. At the beginning the game offers a area that looks HUGE and it makes you drool for a couple of minutes until you realize it actually isn't not to mention is the first and last sort of big area you will ever see in the game. The more you play the game the more you realize how they pulled such beautiful graphics and that's at the expense of design and 30fps. In order to get the necessary resources to render the game with such details ND decided to use a chunk of small areas and force you to go through wall cracks or wholes just to have enough time to load the next area. Such a technique by itself is pretty clever but when you have such an ambitious project it can get repetitive and it certainly does. Areas are strategically made so that when you pass a certain area you can't go back killing the whole idea that the place is huge as you can only explore very few places. Because of that you are mostly forced to go through buildings and small places that feel EMPTY unless you happen to encounter the regular repetitive 3-4 enemies.

The animation work is excellent as I already stated but the overall fighting mechanic is very weak when you compare it to other games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Its really sad to have such beautiful water and scenes where you can swim yet you can't hunt your enemies from the water for example. The enemies AI is very aggressive but only when you put yourself in the middle of the action as enemies always do the same and are rather dumb or easy to exploit by killing few and die just to comeback in a better position. Dogs were presented in the demo but in reality there are like 3 places in the game where they are available and with a simple bow you can easily shut them down and get away.

Stealth and crafting are key for the game but crafting feels kinda pointless as after maxing out all my weapons it didn't felt like an achievement nor heavy advantage over enemies as they are too aggressive and fighting them with guns may not always be the best way as they can shoot way faster than you can hold your gun. Stealth by itself feels great and even have a MGS music touch but just as the fighting mechanic it gets extremely repetitive. Button smashing is another issue the game has as you get to the point where you just either press the square button like 90% of the time while in occasions the triangle or L1.

Enemies are repetitive depending in the area and they all do the same and they can be beaten to death with a simple square, square, L1(to dodge), square, square. The repetitive and look alike enemies as well as fighting mechanic reminds me Ryse son of Rome. Something that got me wondering is the fact that they put so much attention into details yet your partner in the game seems invisible to the enemies in almost every case. Clickers and bosses aren't any different and there are just 2 memorable boss fights in the game that are indeed fun and challenging.

THE UGLY
The story is without a doubt a very subjective topic but for me is the biggest let down of the game. Basically they have a perfect story that combined with a beautiful looking game have the potential to create a perfect game and story. To me it all falls flat with the execution ND decided for the story.

First of all there are too many flashbacks for my taste as the story keep going back and forth and the heavy focus in the story kills the gameplay as the game may be 30+ hours but out of that time at least 25 hours are just cut scenes and story. I can't enjoy a game when gameplay is like 3-5 minutes and followed by another cutscene just to provide you 1 minute of walking scene to give you another cutscene probably followed by 2 or 3 more. It gets to the point when you ask yourself whatever you should just have watched the entire game on YouTube and save the 70 bucks I payed for the game.

At the end the game feels like they were out of ideas and repetitive scenarios were put there just to increase the game hours followed by a ending that you may or may not enjoy. Apart from that Ellie and Abby seem to be the most lucky girls in history as they fall in the hands of the enemy over and over yet they always manage to escape and stay alive. If we are taking this game from a real life perspective (like many seem to base their arguments on) then go to a dangerous country and do some nasty stuff and let the enemy capture you.... let's see if you are still alive after being captured several times....

SPOILER: you won't and probably someone will find you into pieces somewhere.

A lot can be subjective but the points I mentioned were highly criticized in lots of games over the past 7 years yet ND and TLOU 2 manages to get a pass in almost every single area. This game reviews clearly shows that journalism is "as false as the love of a prostitute" as my grandpa used to say. We deserve better and we need fairness in the media and that is what i'm asking for because the game is excellent in many areas but it has many flaws that need to be pointed out and not just let the beautiful graphics blind your opinion.
Interesting to see the review of a very popular youtuber pointing out the exact same things I pointed out in my post from few days ago. I also didn't expected him to give a lower score than I did though.

Also Jim gave the exact same amount of points as me and pointed out many of the things I said.... interesting...

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Aren't they bonuses for playing online which costs money?

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
Companies are only interested in your money so there are no bonuses. If they give you something and most certainly Sony then is because you pretty much pay it without you knowing. That's not just Sony but almost every company in this world as nothing is for free. The only difference is that some do it more aggressively than others but at the end is all the same.

When companies do good will is always seeking something from you or to take advantage of certain situation. Look at MS and their good will but when you look closer they are also looking for you to join their eco-system so they get your money at the end.

That's business 101.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts

$70 Games May Finally Become The Norm With PS5 And Xbox Series X

"That's finally set to change with the launch of PS5 and Xbox Series X, at least in the case of one game series. 2K has announced that NBA 2K21 will cost $60 on current-gen consoles as usual, while the next-gen versions will cost $70. "

So a company that makes mediocre sports games not worth $20 on Steam wants to set a trend of paying $10 more for jarate quality games.

Yeah, that would make me wanna buy an overpriced console...

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,929 Posts
Jesus Christ.... what a bunch of crybabies! Xbox games have been trashed the entire generation and developers work have been torn apart from reviewers every single time with very few exceptions YET you haven't seen a single one crying over few bad reviews let alone the 10/10 they got for whatever the reason and now they are crying for everything.... is that really the way they bully the media to be afraid of giving games a bad review??? I was an idiot as a young boy for bullying kids at the school but at least I was a inexperienced little boy who grew to be better.

This bunch of crybabies are grown up man who got their ego so freaking high that they can't take a hit when the truth slap their faces.

22601 - 22620 of 22651 Posts