Next Generation Emulation banner

22401 - 22420 of 22469 Posts

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
So far I strongly recommend it, I've only noticed one small technical issue: dynamic resolution seems to create a poor picture.
I'm not entirely sure why it's happening. It does use 100% of my GPU, which means it must be doing a good job of using everything I've got to run as high a resolution as possible.
But it also introduces 2 flaws: 1) sometime, I can notice a weird filter effect on various parts of the screen. It's hard to exactly explain it, but it only appears with dynamic res. 2) sometime, the screen "flashes" a bit. Some type of strobe light effect. At first, I didnt think it was a technical glitch, I thought that maybe there was something close to my character inside the game which flashed light around me. But I tried with dynamic res on and off, and it disappeared when it was off.

That's unfortunate, since it's a great option to have. I just went with a static resolution instead.
Everything else in the game has been great!
I saw the DF video and the engine as well as the game seems to be well optimized and balanced. I was thinking in hitting the purchase button today but I will wait a little and see if it comes to game pass as it happened with other games before. So far the reviews of the game seems to show that is a really good game so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Resident Evil 2 & 3 Remake are great. But i think i wouldn't play RE series anymore. The fact that the RE games have become so dark and have to used a torch to explore most of the places causes troubles to my eyes.

About upcoming next Gen consoles, i love Microsoft emphasises on achieving 4K+60-120fps. And I also love Sony emphasises on the loading speed. Hopefully these consoles' release date won't be affected by the current world's situation.
The remakes are awesome and completely different in many aspects to the original games. I personally wish that Capcom come to their senses and understand that is the type of RE we always wanted to get and not what they delivered after 4. Heck.... even 4 was not what we originally wanted even though it turn out to be good.

As for consoles.... I really like what they are doing and even if am not into consoles right now I am really excited to see what nextgen is going to bring in terms of games. However, I honestly hate the one sided BS we have got since the beginning of this generation. Its totally insane to see the damage control and big news websites trying to make it sound like all of sudden a faster ssd can provide more tflops or something. My issue with that is the constant misinformation getting spread this days.

Both consoles are great in their own ways and infos must be somewhat accurate IMO. The XSX will provide the horse power and real RT but the PS5 will have some basic implementation as cerny itself said and I quote: "There's no need to use RT.... but it presents an opportunity for those interested". When the designer of the console itself express himself like that you know its not the full implementation as is the way devs pretty much talk when they have a basic implementation of anything for others to tinker.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I saw the DF video and the engine as well as the game seems to be well optimized and balanced. I was thinking in hitting the purchase button today but I will wait a little and see if it comes to game pass as it happened with other games before. So far the reviews of the game seems to show that is a really good game so I can't wait to get my hands on it.
Bethesda has added games to the pass before, but strangely enough not the first Doom. Since it's such a big hit, I think it might take a while before its added.
I personally got my copy from GMG, got to save a bit of money. They also gave me vouchers to share with people, apparently you can save 16%.

Unrelated: I'm also finding myself enjoying Animal Crossing!

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I'm surprised none of you are concerned with the virus tanking the economy and people not wanting or being unable to buy new consoles. In the US most non essential businesses are shut down, people are hoarding stuff like toilet paper, rubbing alcohol, and video games are the last thing on their mind.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I'm surprised none of you are concerned with the virus tanking the economy and people not wanting or being unable to buy new consoles. In the US most non essential businesses are shut down, people are hoarding stuff like toilet paper, rubbing alcohol, and video games are the last thing on their mind.
But video games ARE essential businesses! I'm kidding, but gamestop and ebgames got in a real shitstorm by labeling themselves as "essential stores" to remain open. They even had people line up outside their stores on Friday.
I think many of us are in the perfect age to weather the storm. I'm not really affected by the stock market tanking since I don't have money in the markets, but my best friend has a lot in it, and even he isn't too worried about it due to his age (also early 30s). He's obviously not happy about it, but the markets will go back up one day, and they'll go back up before it's time for him to retire. This sucks far more for older generations, both financially and in regard to their health.
Canada isn't doing a terrible job of dealing with the virus, so we're just staying home and entertaining ourselves.

I am feeling a bit guilty for spending money on games while knowing that I should save my money - I think we'll be asked to self-quarantine more than once over the next 12 months - but I can afford it and I see myself spending a LOT of time on Animal Crossing while isolated.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,028 Posts
The remakes are awesome and completely different in many aspects to the original games. I personally wish that Capcom come to their senses and understand that is the type of RE we always wanted to get and not what they delivered after 4. Heck.... even 4 was not what we originally wanted even though it turn out to be good.

As for consoles.... I really like what they are doing and even if am not into consoles right now I am really excited to see what nextgen is going to bring in terms of games. However, I honestly hate the one sided BS we have got since the beginning of this generation. Its totally insane to see the damage control and big news websites trying to make it sound like all of sudden a faster ssd can provide more tflops or something. My issue with that is the constant misinformation getting spread this days.

Both consoles are great in their own ways and infos must be somewhat accurate IMO. The XSX will provide the horse power and real RT but the PS5 will have some basic implementation as cerny itself said and I quote: "There's no need to use RT.... but it presents an opportunity for those interested". When the designer of the console itself express himself like that you know its not the full implementation as is the way devs pretty much talk when they have a basic implementation of anything for others to tinker.
I tried RE2 Remake again today and i made the game as bright as possible, it helped. It is indeed quite scary especially when i kept hearing Mr.T walking sound, damn...

I am a bit disappointed with Sony not making it to be 12 TF as i am really hoping to see most games to support RT. But i think i can accept it for now as long as they make sure games are 4K + consistent 60fps. The era of 20-30fps must be ended. I must give a big Thanks to Microsoft as they keep insisting and working on 60fps or more.

We are having similar issue, just not as bad as the USA or Italy atm. I really hope this virus issue can be solved asap and the world back to normal again.

When this virus issue became serious, i was thinking, we don't even need nuclear to destroy human being, just a deadly virus might do it... We human being are so weak in this area.

And those people who support wars, think again, when war happens, the situation in the affected countries is 100X more serious and uncontrollable.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
So much talk about SSD recently and how a fast 5.5GB/Sec will change the world as devs can use it as a memory pool. All that makes me question myself whatever all this years I knew what m.2 technology is but then... I remember this:

DDR data transfer rates:
DDR 266:2.1 GB/s
DDR 333:2.6 GB/s
DDR 400:3.2 GB/s

DDR2 data transfer rates:
DDR2 533:4.2 GB/s
DDR2 667:5.3 GB/s
DDR2 800:6.4 GB/s

DDR3 data transfer rates:
DDR3 1066:8.5 GB/s
DDR3 1333:10.6 GB/s
DDR3 1600:12.8 G MB/s
DDR3 1866:14.9 G MB/s

DDR4 data transfer rates:
DDR4 2133:17 GB/s
DDR4 2400:19.2 GB/s
DDR4 2666:21.3 GB/s
DDR4 3200:25.6 GB/s

Source: What are the data transfer rates for DDR, DDR2, DDR3 and DDR4? - Product Support

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
I am a bit disappointed with Sony not making it to be 12 TF as i am really hoping to see most games to support RT. But i think i can accept it for now as long as they make sure games are 4K + consistent 60fps. The era of 20-30fps must be ended. I must give a big Thanks to Microsoft as they keep insisting and working on 60fps or more.
The PS5 even at 10 tflops(in reality 9.2 without overclock) is pretty amazing for a console. The problem I have with their messaging is the false information and the false hope they sell to the common people that have no idea. When you see Cerny itself saying "RT is not necessary as the graphics are fine" you know is not full RT but they make it sound like it. Then you have SSD were the media is making a huge deal out of it when in reality its amazing as a hdd for loading times but useless as a DDR2 RAM in the system.

I believe they should keep the message just as the PS4 and forget about all the false hopes and marketing BS. Just keep the focus in the games which right now are good and give a clear message to the people. Sony with the current specs can't deliver RT in full force let alone 4k/60fps in all games. What I believe they are going to do is keep the resolution at ~1800p and 60fps or do cinematic games at 4k 30fps while adding some sort of RT.

To me Sony is looking right now like MS back in 2013.

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,028 Posts
The PS5 even at 10 tflops(in reality 9.2 without overclock) is pretty amazing for a console. The problem I have with their messaging is the false information and the false hope they sell to the common people that have no idea. When you see Cerny itself saying "RT is not necessary as the graphics are fine" you know is not full RT but they make it sound like it. Then you have SSD were the media is making a huge deal out of it when in reality its amazing as a hdd for loading times but useless as a DDR2 RAM in the system.

I believe they should keep the message just as the PS4 and forget about all the false hopes and marketing BS. Just keep the focus in the games which right now are good and give a clear message to the people. Sony with the current specs can't deliver RT in full force let alone 4k/60fps in all games. What I believe they are going to do is keep the resolution at ~1800p and 60fps or do cinematic games at 4k 30fps while adding some sort of RT.

Personally, i really like RT because it makes things more realistic. I wish next gen to be able to support it fully, but if it can't, i am actually still fine. To be frank, i didn't know in-game lighting wasn't real or perfect before RT was started getting popular or frequently mentioning more. So, i kinda ok with Cerny saying "RT is not necessary as the graphics are fine". If it can't be implemented fully or if it would affect fps, i wish game dev will ignore it and purely focus on 4K + 60fps as their target. I really don't want to see DEV working on RT+4k+30FPS.

Recently, i keep watching some youtube game channels to see what games are up to my graphics standard, so far i like Forza horizon 4, the graphics is so realistic. GTA5 with real life mode is amazing too. But i am not sure what is missing, when i am driving in real life, i think back those games' graphics i saw, none of them actually near "real life", far away from "real life" or "realistic". I am wondering when game graphics will reach a level that we can't differentiate a real human vs CG human.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts

I think part of what makes Sony look worse is they're being more transparent.
An example of this is the 10tflops with variable frequency: truth is, I expect both consoles to have variable frequency, because this has been used for CPUs and GPUs for a long time now. Many many years. Your own GPU uses variable frequency.
Both the PS5 and the XSX are listed as using "8 cores zen 2 cpus", and "Custome RDNA2 gpu". But MS listed their CPU as 8 cores @ 3.8ghz, while Sony listed it as 8 cores @ 3.5ghz (variable frequency).

Here's the thing: we know that every Zen cpu uses variable frequency. It's one of their greatest strength. Overclocking Ryzen cpus became way less useful because they overclock themselves so well through their "variable frequency". Taking this into account, I don't think the reason MS didn't mention their cpu as having a variable frequency is because it doesn't, and instead has a static 3.8ghz. I think MS simply didn't think it was important to mention, because honestly, it's not that important to mention.

This brings us to the GPU, where the same thing is most likely true. AMD and Nvidia have both been using variable frequency for a while now. It's a good thing too: this is how we get the most out of our hardware. Odds are, the XSX also has variable frequency for the GPU. It just seems like MS didn't figure it was important to include it, while Sony decided to include it. We'll most likely see the PS5 move between 9.5 to 10tflops and the XSX move between 11.5 and 12tflops. Overall, it seems like a non-story.

As for SSD: the main reason I wouldn't use a SSD as ram is simply because you don't know how much space will be left unused by the user. In the case of consoles, I could see the console keeping a section of the SSD "hidden", so that the user would never use it, but I would only see this being used for assets which are smaller (and as such can be moved quickly despite the SSD being slower than ram). So maybe the ram itself is used for huge pieces that are 1gb in size, while the SSD is used for small 10 to 50mb files which will transfer quickly despite the SSD "only" moving 5.5gb/s.
I don't expect devs to go super hard on it tho.

As for RT: I still think it's just gonna be a case of both of them having the same technology. Sony did describe supporting the full effects, AMD just announced their cards having support for DX12 ultimate, and I expect AMD's RT support to be similar to what Nvidia has done. Currently, Nvidia doesn't do entire games in RT, they do specific effects, and they do them at a "lower resolution". I'm expecting the same thing with the XSX and the PS5: not full games, specific effects, lower resolutions for those effects. I expect the stronger GPU in the XSX to allow to render the effects at a higher quality (higher resolution) and the PS5 to have the same effect, but shittier quality. Simple example: MS would play BF5 with RT at High quality, Sony would play BF5 with RT at Medium quality.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
I will answer both of you because what I want to say is somehow relevant to both of you. I think we need a big leap in graphics, and whatever that may or may not be necessary is a personal opinion. The way things are hyped and especially the SSD on both sides (Sony has the bigger focus) is wrong. The SSD may be fast, but it's not fast enough to be considered a real RAM pool. However, in both cases, they can serve as a frame buffer to get the necessary data and avoid performance problems.

We can use modern emulators and shader compilation as an idea to explain the scenario. We can have two methods of compiling shader caches, where 1 is twice as fast as the other, and I think we all know the results. The one that is twice as fast will make the compiled cache available faster, avoiding stuttering and making performance available faster. That's a 1:1 scenario, but the overall performance remains the same.

In a game design, things work differently, and the developers know what they're dealing with. I think the biggest benefit is not for the end user, but more importantly for the developers, who don't have to deal with techniques for streaming assets and data, because they can now access them faster and create larger worlds, but that can be true for both consoles regardless of ssd speeds.

As for the variable frequency... if I'm not mistaken, MS has made it clear that this is a static frequency, so there is no down/up. They even mention the 8 cores and 3.8ghz or 16 threads and 3.6ghz.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I don't think MS confirmed or denied whether it was static or variable. My guess is they just didnt see the point in mentioning it.
It's actually weird of Sony to mention it, because nobody does. If you buy hardware, it will list a speed ("this RTX 2080 Super runs at 1845 mhz") but they're actually on variable frequency.
Nowadays, hardware uses variable frequencies, it's used for just about everything. It's nice of Sony to be thorough by listing it, but they're creating unnecessary confusion with it.

More to the point, they both seem to be using the same AMD generation of hardware. They both seem to be using the same Ryzen gen, they both seem to be using the same RDNA gen. (Both AMD and Sony call it RDNA2, seems to be true)

It mostly appears to be a case of (as an example, not actual specs):
  • The XSX is using a Ryzen 4500 with 8 cores @ 3.8ghz and a Radeon 6600x @ 12tflops.
  • The PS5 is using a Ryzen 4400 with 8 cores @ 3.5ghz and a Radeon 6500 @ 10tflops.
It's possible MS bought a 4.2ghz CPU and a 13 tflops GPU, and then downclocked them to a static 3.8 and 12, but it seems wasteful.

As for a big leap in graphics: in general I agree, but I'm not sure if the hardware is ready just yet. Since the generation leap was interrupted with a semi-generation (Pro and X1) we're not seeing as big of a jump. Ray-tracing could help make a leap, but the hardware doesn't seem fully ready just yet. Even big proponents of ray-tracing seem to be telling people to remain realistic about what can be done at the moment, which is unfortunate. Still, I hope we'll see people try their hand at it. I also hope we'll see indie developers make games with simpler graphics, but heavy RT implementation.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
I don't think MS confirmed or denied whether it was static or variable. My guess is they just didnt see the point in mentioning it.
It's actually weird of Sony to mention it, because nobody does. If you buy hardware, it will list a speed ("this RTX 2080 Super runs at 1845 mhz") but they're actually on variable frequency.
Nowadays, hardware uses variable frequencies, it's used for just about everything. It's nice of Sony to be thorough by listing it, but they're creating unnecessary confusion with it.

More to the point, they both seem to be using the same AMD generation of hardware. They both seem to be using the same Ryzen gen, they both seem to be using the same RDNA gen. (Both AMD and Sony call it RDNA2, seems to be true)

It mostly appears to be a case of (as an example, not actual specs):
  • The XSX is using a Ryzen 4500 with 8 cores @ 3.8ghz and a Radeon 6600x @ 12tflops.
  • The PS5 is using a Ryzen 4400 with 8 cores @ 3.5ghz and a Radeon 6500 @ 10tflops.
It's possible MS bought a 4.2ghz CPU and a 13 tflops GPU, and then downclocked them to a static 3.8 and 12, but it seems wasteful.

As for a big leap in graphics: in general I agree, but I'm not sure if the hardware is ready just yet. Since the generation leap was interrupted with a semi-generation (Pro and X1) we're not seeing as big of a jump. Ray-tracing could help make a leap, but the hardware doesn't seem fully ready just yet. Even big proponents of ray-tracing seem to be telling people to remain realistic about what can be done at the moment, which is unfortunate. Still, I hope we'll see people try their hand at it. I also hope we'll see indie developers make games with simpler graphics, but heavy RT implementation.
I found the part in the DF video where Richard mentions the locked frequency. Check out the video below and look at the 2:45 mark when he clearly says it is "locked" and will not adjust under any conditions.

We have reached a level where simple tflops are no longer sufficient to make a huge graphical leap. However, I believe that RT, if handled correctly, can achieve this. A good example is "Project Mara" from NT, which seems to rely heavily on RT to create a very realistic environment. The problem is obvious, and that is performance, but we don't know to what extent RT is supported.

So why am I skeptical about Sony in this regard and not MS??? it's very simple... Sony doesn't hesitate to brag when they know they have something and so far they haven't shown anything, and even on the specs Cerny said "RT is not needed", which sounds like damage control to me. MS in the other hands had demos and is very open about it. It's my personal opinion, but for me the "variable" choice of the PS5 is because they overclocked the system to look less weak compared to the MS machine. The reason I see this approach is also simple and is also part of the reveal where Cerny talked about the special cooling they were working on but didn't show it in the end.

We are PC enthusiasts and we know when special and more expensive cooling is needed ;)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I found the part in the DF video where Richard mentions the locked frequency. Check out the video below and look at the 2:45 mark when he clearly says it is "locked" and will not adjust under any conditions.

That is interesting, I haven't seen the mention of locking it elsewhere but this does seem to confirm it 100%.
I wonder how they'll handle pricing, because having it locked at frequencies higher than what Sony boosts to means spending quite a bit more money.
If Microsoft is willing to eat some of the cost (which I think they would), they might be able to sell it at the same price as the PS5, which would be very interesting for us.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
That is interesting, I haven't seen the mention of locking it elsewhere but this does seem to confirm it 100%.
I wonder how they'll handle pricing, because having it locked at frequencies higher than what Sony boosts to means spending quite a bit more money.
If Microsoft is willing to eat some of the cost (which I think they would), they might be able to sell it at the same price as the PS5, which would be very interesting for us.
Phil said a while ago that he won't get beaten this time in power and price and even went as far as say that the XSX will cost less than we think.

I believe they will announce the price and Sony will have to make a huge decision as I believe it will be priced at 450-500.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,028 Posts
RT is going to provide the jump we need in many cases and here is why:

I really like RT. With next gen coming out, i think we will see most games have big graphics jump in many areas (altho PCs are much more powerful, but we know what is the relationship between games on PC and consoles) .

Capcom, please... i need remake of Dino Crisis 1 & 2 (or a totally new Dino game) and Dragon Dogma 2 on next gen!!! My heart has been waiting for these games for many many years. <3

22401 - 22420 of 22469 Posts