Next Generation Emulation banner

22381 - 22400 of 22469 Posts

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I still need to Finish Final Fantasy 7...Heck I need to finish a Final Fantasy...as any of them...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
HBO had a big hit with their mini-series Chernobyl. Now they're bringing back the creator behind it AND the writer+creative director of The Last of Us to work together into adapting the series for TV.

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO to adapt The Last of Us, the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.
Carolyn Strauss will also executive produce along with Evan Wells, the president of Naughty Dog, the Santa Monica-based developer of the game. The project is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television in association with PlayStation Productions. It will be the first television series from PlayStation Productions.

Launched in 2013, Sony and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us garnered critical praise for its engrossing tale of the postapocalypse, centering on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be key to a cure for the deadly pandemic.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Last of Us was alright, but if the Chernobyl group are behind it then holy smokes that could be something else. I'm just not a fan of Naughty Dog's narrative style, I find it a bit pompous for my liking.

LMAO if it falls through and AMC pick it up. Couldn't think of anything worse.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The "Shadow" streaming service is making some changes. As previously known: Shadow differs from other streaming services (geforce now, stadia) by streaming the entire PC experience to you. You're not limited to only the games supported, you can install mods, you do what you want. You control the PC.
Some of the new changes could be related to Shadow partnering with LG.

Changes:
  • More coverage over the US
  • Base plan is now called "Shadow Boost", 15$ a month on a monthly sub, 12 on a yearly sub. 4 cores @ 3.4ghz, GTX 1080, 12gb ram,
  • Medium plan is Shadow Ultra. 30$ monthly plan, 25$ yearly plan. 4 cores @ 4ghz, RTX 2080, ability to use ray tracing, 16gb ram.
  • Highest plan is Shadow Infinite. 50$ monthly plan, 40$ yearly plan. 6 cores @ 4ghz, Titan RTX, 32gb ram.
  • If I understand correctly, the service can now be accessing on mobile devices through an app.
  • They appear to be testing support for VR games.
  • They mention upcoming expansion in NA and South Korea.
Only the base plan "Boost" is currently available, the other plans will be coming later.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Bringing more familiar talent to the TV adaptation of The Last of Us:
Gustavo Santaolalla is the composer for The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II. He is a two-time Academy Award winner, having taken home the award for Best Original Score in 2006 and 2007 for Brokeback Mountain and Babel. The Last of Us and its sequel are the only video games that he has composed for. Santaolalla's work as a composer goes all the way back to 2000, including work on Netflix's Narcos: Mexico and the documentary Making a Murderer.
Santaolalla is joining Craig Mazin and Druckmann for The Last of Us. The show is being led by Mazin, who is known for his work on HBO's critically acclaimed Chernobyl. Neil Druckmann will serve as the writer and executive producer for the show. Naughty Dog president Evan Wells and HBO producer Carolyn Strauss will also serve as producers for the TV series.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
State of Decay 2 has been remastered/overhauled and released as the Juggernaut edition. The game is now also available on more PC stores, including the Epic store.
It's unlikely the game will attract people who disliked it before, but people who were already fans of the game might enjoy this.
It's a bit surprising to see them remaster a game released in 2018, but it brings polished graphics, some quality of life improvements, and a new map. They've described it as State of Decay 2.5 as a result.

I personally will most likely give it another shot and try the new map/town.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Early review of Animal Crossing: New Horizons are out and they're very good. It currently stands at an average of 92, which puts it in the 100th percentile.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Early reviews for Doom Eternal are out, it stands at a strong 90 average on Opencritic. This places the game in the 99th percentile of games scored.
This is a higher score than Doom 2016, which had an average of 85, which placed it in the 94th percentile.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
There were rumors of Sony wanting to keep the price of the PS5 under control, and it seems like those rumors were true: the PS5 won't be as powerful as the XSX.
The PS5 will have approximately 10 tflops, while the XSX will have approx 12 tflops.

It seems as if the move from the previous gen to the next one will be relatively straightforward:
The XSX is equivalent to 2 XOX: going from 6 tflops to 12 tflops.
The PS5 is equivalent to 2.5 PS Pro: going from 4.1tflops to 10 tflops.

Sony might be happy that the difference in power will be smaller than it used to be, with the PS5 competing more closely with the XSX than the Pro did with the XOX. But Microsoft is definitely gonna be happy to offer more power, as it will be useful when advertising the next generation of consoles.

We still don't have a price.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
Apart from the boring show they delivered and unless I understand wrong the PS5 won't be fully BC but will offer a selected amount of BC PS4 games. Also the way they presented it looks like is not fully RDNA2 but more like using certain features of it and the 10 tflops as well as GPU frequency seems to be "variable" meaning it may not always hit that target but just at peak if possible. Another thing is RT which doesn't seem to be full featured unlike what MS show with the XSX. The bandwidth in general is lower as well and only the SSD seems to be the focus here which is great but IMO not a game changer.

To me it looked kinda spooky the moment he said about forgetting TFLOPS and CU counts which at certain point is true but the overall package seems kinda meh considering the hype. At the end of the day we are getting better consoles at least so we will see how this shape in the next few years.

Also it seems like the XSX release date is set for November 26th.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Apart from the boring show they delivered and unless I understand wrong the PS5 won't be fully BC but will offer a selected amount of BC PS4 games. Also the way they presented it looks like is not fully RDNA2 but more like using certain features of it and the 10 tflops as well as GPU frequency seems to be "variable" meaning it may not always hit that target but just at peak if possible. Another thing is RT which doesn't seem to be full featured unlike what MS show with the XSX. The bandwidth in general is lower as well and only the SSD seems to be the focus here which is great but IMO not a game changer.

To me it looked kinda spooky the moment he said about forgetting TFLOPS and CU counts which at certain point is true but the overall package seems kinda meh considering the hype. At the end of the day we are getting better consoles at least so we will see how this shape in the next few years.

Also it seems like the XSX release date is set for November 26th.
I'm not sure what you mean by not fully RDNA2, is there something missing? At first glance, it has features not available to RDNA1, and it's stronger than what RDNA1 could do.
I also think its unlikely it would have ray-tracing abilities if it was the older tech (RDNA1 or GCN5). They mention having support for the full RT experience (audio, illumination, shadows, reflections), so it does appear to have all of it. That said, since it'll be a lower variant, I also expect it won't do it as well as the GPU in the XSX. Similar to how there's a difference in RTX capabilities between the RTX 2070 and 2080.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,851 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by not fully RDNA2, is there something missing? At first glance, it has features not available to RDNA1, and it's stronger than what RDNA1 could do.
I also think its unlikely it would have ray-tracing abilities if it was the older tech (RDNA1 or GCN5). They mention having support for the full RT experience (audio, illumination, shadows, reflections), so it does appear to have all of it. That said, since it'll be a lower variant, I also expect it won't do it as well as the GPU in the XSX. Similar to how there's a difference in RTX capabilities between the RTX 2070 and 2080.
Maybe I got something wrong but from the way he explained(apart from his kinda annoying way of talking) it sounded to me more like RDNA1+ with some RDNA2 features rather than plain RDNA2. As for RT it seems not to have full fledge support like the XSX and the Minecraft demo with full Path Tracing for example which requires some heavy hardware RT power as explained here:

As for the 10 tflops.... it looks more to me like they overclocked the thing not to look bad at the last moment which may explain why there is still not real PS5 design reveal(at least a real unit) and the variable frequency in the CPU and GPU. The PS4/Pro are known to be turbines so lets hope this is not another sign of the same repeating over again.

One thing I find really cool is the support for regular m.2 ssds which is great.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Unlocked Doom early, first impressions: hell yeah!
Not too far in just yet, but I find the level design better, the music is still kickass, and some tweaks to the combat make it more satisfying.
"Zombies" seem to have been demoted from "monsters you must kill to progress the stage" to "hazardous obstacles (which may content hp or ammo)", and that's great for the pacing. You can still kill them if you want, but it's not required and you can instead focus on the bigger demons. They're mostly something to keep your eye on, but not a requirement anymore.
The pistol is out of the game completely, you now start with the shotgun, which is another nice bonus. You start right away with the shotgun and chainsaw, which combined with not HAVING to kill zombies, makes the combat feel more destructive than it used to. More powerful weapons from the start, greater focus on stronger enemies, more satisfaction.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
In case I get the game I will let you know ;)
So far I strongly recommend it, I've only noticed one small technical issue: dynamic resolution seems to create a poor picture.
I'm not entirely sure why it's happening. It does use 100% of my GPU, which means it must be doing a good job of using everything I've got to run as high a resolution as possible.
But it also introduces 2 flaws: 1) sometime, I can notice a weird filter effect on various parts of the screen. It's hard to exactly explain it, but it only appears with dynamic res. 2) sometime, the screen "flashes" a bit. Some type of strobe light effect. At first, I didnt think it was a technical glitch, I thought that maybe there was something close to my character inside the game which flashed light around me. But I tried with dynamic res on and off, and it disappeared when it was off.

That's unfortunate, since it's a great option to have. I just went with a static resolution instead.
Everything else in the game has been great!

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,028 Posts
Resident Evil 2 & 3 Remake are great. But i think i wouldn't play RE series anymore. The fact that the RE games have become so dark and have to used a torch to explore most of the places causes troubles to my eyes.

About upcoming next Gen consoles, i love Microsoft emphasises on achieving 4K+60-120fps. And I also love Sony emphasises on the loading speed. Hopefully these consoles' release date won't be affected by the current world's situation.

22381 - 22400 of 22469 Posts