Next Generation Emulation banner

22321 - 22342 of 22634 Posts

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
I said both 12 and 16 in my post by accident, the 16 was a typo, I meant 12. It was based on what Spencer said about being more than 8 times higher than the XB1 (over 10.3) and twice the X (12).

What I'm thinking mostly about is MS talking constantly about how they would use their software advantage to focus on "one platform across many devices, instead of multiple platforms across many devices". Having the X and the SX being 'one platform' would fulfill that goal, while splitting them would be the opposite. They also talked a lot about how they dont care about the vague concept of "winning", and only wanted people to game and have fun, so keeping games compatible across both consoles would also fulfill that goal.

I definitely wouldn't expect the original Xbox to keep being supported because really, that's a huge gap. I wouldn't even expect the games to be at 1080p, I think they'd go back to releasing games at 720p. Possibly even lower, which wouldn't make people happy. I just saw going from XB1->XBX to XBX->XBSX as a somewhat natural progression, keeping games alive on two sister consoles at once.
The way I understood your previous post is that the PS5 is a 16+ tflops machine which made me scratch my head for a moment :p

I think that too and the 1-2 year support may be just that. There is no reason later on to support the XB1 and wasting resources and time like I mention before using my job as an example. From the looks of it they will end support for the XB1 and the X1X may turn into the lower tier until we move to the next upgrade which may be the XSX X or whatever they want to call it which by then support for the X1X will end.

I think that is the only logical way of moving forward. MS is in a very weird position right now because if they let's say come with the XSX and stop supporting all current consoles with their upcoming games we know the bash would come as people would call them out for letting the rest behind. In other words there is no easy way to please people and more when you are the under dog and I would be the first to call them out for not using consumer friendly practices if that was the case.

There strategy is weird but fair IMO as it show support for those who recently invested in their console as well as make sure people know what other option they have. Unlike popular opinion I don't believe those titles won't make use of the new hardware. The reason is very simple and is because is limited to first party titles only and those developers always make sure they take the last juice out of the hardware.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
There strategy is weird but fair IMO as it show support for those who recently invested in their console as well as make sure people know what other option they have. Unlike popular opinion I don't believe those titles won't make use of the new hardware. The reason is very simple and is because is limited to first party titles only and those developers always make sure they take the last juice out of the hardware.
I agree with your assessment.

Microsoft appears to be "dangling a carrot" rather than "pointing a gun" at XBox One S/X owners. I think the strategy is along the lines of: "Yes, you can play new titles on the old hardware for awhile. No, it won't look as good or play as well and may be missing some features."

To me, this is equivalent to playing a new PC game on low-spec hardware. Your experience won't be as good, but if you enjoy the game enough and want to play it with all the bells and whistles turned all the way up, you need to upgrade.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
I agree with your assessment.

Microsoft appears to be "dangling a carrot" rather than "pointing a gun" at XBox One S/X owners. I think the strategy is along the lines of: "Yes, you can play new titles on the old hardware for awhile. No, it won't look as good or play as well and may be missing some features."

To me, this is equivalent to playing a new PC game on low-spec hardware. Your experience won't be as good, but if you enjoy the game enough and want to play it with all the bells and whistles turned all the way up, you need to upgrade.
Yeah, we live in a different time and console business have changed. We have now people buying a new cell phone for $1000 every 1-2 years while keeping their catalog of apps and games and nobody complain. Mobile business have shown how to sell hardware and keep people wanting more which is the opposite in the console business as of today.

As much as people like to brag about Sony selling 100+m consoles they don't make money in hardware but with software and services. That is the reason why I believe MS is doing that in the first place as selling a launch title to a wider audience is far better than locking games down to a new console. I believe Sony will do the same and with such a huge amount of consoles sold it makes perfect sense for them to do so.

....but Sony is not even at E3 this year and is extremely quiet so all we can do is speculate what their plan is.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I think that too and the 1-2 year support may be just that. There is no reason later on to support the XB1 and wasting resources and time like I mention before using my job as an example. From the looks of it they will end support for the XB1 and the X1X may turn into the lower tier until we move to the next upgrade which may be the XSX X or whatever they want to call it which by then support for the X1X will end.
Hopefully, that'll be the case. The way I understood it was they would cut support from every previous console (X included) after 2 years, but if they simply cut support from the OG Xbox One, that's perfectly fair. I didn't expect them to support it at all, so giving it 1-2 years would be a bonus.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
Hopefully, that'll be the case. The way I understood it was they would cut support from every previous console (X included) after 2 years, but if they simply cut support from the OG Xbox One, that's perfectly fair. I didn't expect them to support it at all, so giving it 1-2 years would be a bonus.
They have mention many times they want to follow the mobile business strategy and when you think about how things are right now I think is clear. Game pass is going to be the service to have your games that will run on every device and consoles are going to be devices that will run games at different graphics levels like on PC.

What I think they are going to do is push some PR like all companies do and say X game was made possible because the API-X was needed. By doing so they make sure which devices support that API and so slightly limit the older ones but keeping those perfectly fine still using their services. As an option for those not supported devices I see xCloud coming into the game allowing those who haven't upgrade to play those games that aren't supported. If am correctly with that MS is going to earn money no matter what people do by selling more games and services.

Is a very clever strategy that took me a while to figure out hehehehe. I strongly believe that Sony will do something similar as they are in a better position but time will tell.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Dammit...trying to make me go to the dark side! LOL It's working. :p

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
My body is ready for another KI... I really hope MS bring another release because the KING have to make another come back and bring me joy like the last one did. I literally spent 6 years enjoying that game and that is what great games are. They don't provide you few hours or few days of experience because they are the experience you should enjoy for as much time as possible.

LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I'm still surprised MS didn't lean more heavily on Killer Instincts. The most popular F2P games (and even some B2P games) adopt the concept of "seasons", where they release a new big patch every 3-4 months. In the case of Killer Instinct, this would have been characters or stages.

What I would have liked to see them to is coincide those seasons with a new game release. When releasing Outer Worlds, release a new season where a monster from the game (like the Mantiqueen or a Primal) is added to Killer Instinct. In seasons where MS themselves isn't releasing a new game, they could have a deal where a new multiplatform game added to the Xbox Game Pass gets a character/stage added to KI. Release character for free, keep people engaged in the game, great marketing for your games, sell optional cosmetic skins to keep raising money for the game, profit.

The downside of this approach would be that Ki would lose its original appeal of "horror" fighter, but this already happened anyway. I'm honestly surprised they didn't explore the game more, it could have been far more popular, it definitely had the potential for it.

-----

Cyberpunk has been delayed until September. Darn

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
Yeah... I wish they do more and explore more because that is what I like about KI and in the video they say that too.... KI is a fighting game with a Ninja and a bunch of guest characters! that is what makes KI so special as they can throw everything in and still makes sense.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
I've enjoyed KI on Steam.

I just wish...

The arcade story for Seasons 1-3 were consistent as Season 1 with 3 endings and a Boss Fight at the end. I'd like it as Soul Calibur 6 does arcade with a different boss each difficulty, but season in KI.

The Original KI and KI2 arcade games as DLC that can be purchased. The soundtracks for them as well.

I dislike the story mode with its P2W healing/etc.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
If you watch the video you can see what really happened to that game. Double Helix got bought by Amazon and they had no idea what to do and they had to find a new developer which is a huge challenge. Am actually impressed Iron Galaxy was able to do what they did.

That is the main reason I wish for a new KI from the ground up and see a consistent story and gameplay.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
It seems like one of my games of the generation is coming to PC and is rumored that more PS4 games will follow. I really loved that game and would love to play that game on my PC with better frame rate. However, it doesn't seem to be good news for the usual dudes out there.

I personally wish Bloodborne is next....

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
It seems like one of my games of the generation is coming to PC and is rumored that more PS4 games will follow. I really loved that game and would love to play that game on my PC with better frame rate. However, it doesn't seem to be good news for the usual dudes out there.

I personally wish Bloodborne is next....

I wonder if they're doing this exclusively because of Death Stranding. Previously, Sony has allowed developers they don't own to share their exclusives on PC, but they haven't brought their own exclusives to PC. I think this would be the first one they'd do. But since Death Stranding is bringing the engine to PC, and since both games share the same engine, it's possibly Sony figured "its too easy an opportunity to pass up, they already did most of the work for us" and chose to gave it a try.
Would be interesting if Sony wasn't planning on doing this, and only did it because of DS.

Either way, I'm glad they're doing it (assuming the rumor is legit, I dont trust kotaku much). More importantly: it shows Sony sees Horizon as a big name, as a franchise, which should make it more likely for the game to get a sequel. If its important enough to come to PC, it's important enough to get a new game.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
I wonder if they're doing this exclusively because of Death Stranding. Previously, Sony has allowed developers they don't own to share their exclusives on PC, but they haven't brought their own exclusives to PC. I think this would be the first one they'd do. But since Death Stranding is bringing the engine to PC, and since both games share the same engine, it's possibly Sony figured "its too easy an opportunity to pass up, they already did most of the work for us" and chose to gave it a try.
Would be interesting if Sony wasn't planning on doing this, and only did it because of DS.

Either way, I'm glad they're doing it (assuming the rumor is legit, I dont trust kotaku much). More importantly: it shows Sony sees Horizon as a big name, as a franchise, which should make it more likely for the game to get a sequel. If its important enough to come to PC, it's important enough to get a new game.
Not just that but as I have said the staff that made the PS4 what it is this generation is not there anymore. The new boss have a Nadella mentality and the head of PlayStation is a business guy.

The industry has changed and Sony will follow. What just happened is that MS switched first for obvious reasons. Having a wider audience give those companies more opportunities and money because at the end of the day is all that matters for them.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
KI have a very special place in my live and bring so much memories. I still can hear the sounds coming from the Arcade in my head....such a great time.

This is my favorite reaction of the game back in 2013:

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
Thanks, I didn't know the history too well.

It is one of my favorite fighting games.

Better than Soul Calibur 6, The Blazblue Crossover game, Mortal Kombat X, All the Guilty Gear games, with only Street Fighter V Arcade, Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition, and Dead or Boincy 'er Alive 5 getting more time.

I've had DOA5 longer than most fighting games I have and like.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,919 Posts
By giving my X1X to my brother I really came to appreciate what gamepass really mean for gamers and it baffles my mind to see how fools out there try to spin it. I understand the bullshit and hate towards MS by ponies and dudes that probably have no idea about gaming but is great to see a high figure in gaming putting those fools in place.

In case you don't know David Jaffe in the video is the original creator of the God of War franchise and here is what he has to say about gamepass to shut those fools mouth:

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,650 Posts
I like gamepass, too bad Just Cause 3 was removed from it. I snagged the game on steam a while ago though, so I can play it there instead.
Without gamepass I probably would never have tried the series.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
That's how I treat the freebies on Epic. If I like the games I may buy them on GOG or Steam. If I don't I saved money not buying them.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
I'm glad just cause 3 is a good game as I have the complete version from a Humble Bundle.

22321 - 22342 of 22634 Posts