Next Generation Emulation banner

22281 - 22300 of 22426 Posts

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,451 Posts
It's why I was so surprised when I heard news about people lining up around the block for the 3950x launch, the price was the highest anywhere in the world and it still sold out.

I suppose folks need a lot of compute to upscale their art to huge resolutions.
I wonder about online availability in Japan. People lining up for PC components would never happen in the US unless we lost a bunch of our online stores.

I know component cost is usually pretty fair in Japan. Maybe these guys had been holding off on upgrading for a long time and saw a chance for near HEDT performance? Maybe they just wanted to flip the chips for a profit due to their rarity?

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,825 Posts
I wonder about online availability in Japan. People lining up for PC components would never happen in the US unless we lost a bunch of our online stores.

I know component cost is usually pretty fair in Japan. Maybe these guys had been holding off on upgrading for a long time and saw a chance for near HEDT performance? Maybe they just wanted to flip the chips for a profit due to their rarity?
Flipping is a good option, but after I read about the technical issues of the Berserk anime, with their machines being unable to render things in time I'm curious if studios sent out their staff to go get some chips to make life easier.

Some of the production work that Level1 Tech's have been talking about, along with promo materials by AMD in conjunction with art studios in how those extra cores help reduce time to get their work out, I'm assuming there are some production studios who need that tech, especially since the ROI in a rendering environment would be achieved so quickly.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
People disappointed because they were expecting a PS5 reveal at CES after the momentum MS is getting for the XSX and Hellblade 2 reveal.

Sony....... here is our new logo [drops the mic] and everyone is "w-what?"
PS5-Logo-buffed.png

CES isn't for that kind of things but I guess some fools don't get that to keep their expectations in check.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
They literally replaced 4 with 5 and that's it. I believe they know its a very bad time for every console maker as every single mistake they do right now is something they will have to deal the entire generation. MS already did it in a very good way so they have that behind plus tons of positive news right after but Sony is in a different position as they are very successful right now but a mistake can drag them back to garbage.

Unlike MS they can't afford a bad generation. You have also the fact that the team of people that made the PS4 a marketing success aren't working at Sony any longer and the new team is doomed to either land a hit or do a mistake like the Xbox one back in 2013 and to complete the combo they have a different MS this time.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
The PS5 logo is the same as the PS4 logo, which was the same as the PS3 logo. Which was the PS2 logo, but in black and white.
The only logo to look different was the very first one for the PS1. Since then they've kept the same design.
They've been using the same logo for 20 years, but I imagine CES lacked stories, so that's what's being discussed.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
Everyone knows that is just the thirst of fans waiting for something. As I said CES isn't a conference for that kind of reveals but you had tons of people live streaming believing Sony to fully reveal the PS5 just like MS did by surprise in the awards.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Frag, I miss the old days when Windows asked it you wanted to give access to programs and didn't just cut access without telling you.

I just wasted over a half hour getting Origin updated thanks to Windows Firewall blocking Origin.

Sheesh, I never have these issues with Steam. I had to manually select 3 separate programs to let Windows give them access.

What a PitA.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
Talking about Twitter Sony also twitted in order provide some excitement to their fanbase:

sonytwitter.jpg

Then Major Nelson and former Xbox executive Mike Ybarra responded:

majornelson.jpg

mikeybarra.jpg

Sony deleted the tweet after some Sony fanboys pretty much raged over the tweet and Xbox fanboys as well because of the situation. The original tweet status was here but as you can see it has been deleted.

Social media and gaming get a little out of control a lot at times.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,602 Posts
The PS5 logo is the same as the PS4 logo, which was the same as the PS3 logo. Which was the PS2 logo, but in black and white.
The only logo to look different was the very first one for the PS1. Since then they've kept the same design.
They've been using the same logo for 20 years, but I imagine CES lacked stories, so that's what's being discussed.
Actually the ps3 originally had the spiderman font logo, they later changed it back to the logo you see now which resembles the ps2 one; the only difference being the rounded edges on the font.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
Actually the ps3 originally had the spiderman font logo, they later changed it back to the logo you see now which resembles the ps2 one; the only difference being the rounded edges on the font.
They just used a new Photoshop version and forgot to install the font but for 5 they already had the template ready :p. Now all we need are MS executives coming with a tutorial called "How to design a Console logo" just like the infamous "How to share games" video from Sony executives and we will have 2013 back again but probably inverted.

In a more serious note.... I think the logo is fine and why fix what isn't broken? people are making memes and a huge deal out of it but I believe is more because of the disappointment of not getting any new information they were probably expecting but instead a lot of talk just to show a logo.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
--
So AMD and maybe the new Xbox might use a SSD to cache and act like extended gpu memory.
That approach seems very interesting.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
--
So AMD and maybe the new Xbox might use a SSD to cache and act like extended gpu memory.
That approach seems very interesting.
AMD already did that with a GPU if am not mistaking which uses a SSD inside the GPU. Also the PS5 may use a similar approach as they were hyping loading times and that is one way I can see that happening.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
The local Gamestop is closing so when I took Charline to see Star Wars Episode IX, I made a side trip in the mall to a last minute purchase.

I picked up 3 games for around $35, they were half off no discount for my Power up rewards card.

Nier, Tales of Vesparia, Forza Horizon 2, all XBOX 360.

Its sad for me as I used to look forward to shopping there.

Any thoughts about the games I picked up?

My PC can't run Nier. Vesparia was cheap, $5 after discoint.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,602 Posts
In a more serious note.... I think the logo is fine and why fix what isn't broken? people are making memes and a huge deal out of it but I believe is more because of the disappointment of not getting any new information they were probably expecting but instead a lot of talk just to show a logo.
It's fine, but why present a logo when you didn't change it?

·
Classic Games Lover
5,274 Posts
The local Gamestop is closing so when I took Charline to see Star Wars Episode IX, I made a side trip in the mall to a last minute purchase.

I picked up 3 games for around $35, they were half off no discount for my Power up rewards card.

Nier, Tales of Vesparia, Forza Horizon 2, all XBOX 360.

Its sad for me as I used to look forward to shopping there.

Any thoughts about the games I picked up?

My PC can't run Nier. Vesparia was cheap, $5 after discoint.
Nier is quite a good game and quite underrated. Vesperia is probably my favourite Tales of game. As for FH2 can't say much, I only played FH4.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,602 Posts
Well, it's 360 FH2, which is more like the first game but with the map of the second one.
It's still good but it feels more like an expansion for FH1 as it lacks the innovations from the xb1 version.

·
Crazy GFX coder
16,836 Posts
It's fine, but why present a logo when you didn't change it?
Very true and that show was a little weird even if it was CES. In my opinion they changed the script in the last moment because you don't explain all those things and simply show a logo that all it does is replace 4 with 5. In case you didn't saw my post Phil Spencer replaced his twitter picture with the next Xbox CPU and I think Sony saw that and immediately changed the script not to show so much.

If I remember correctly in the article I read a while back about the internal changes at Sony it also mention how scared they are to f*ck up. Now you think about the fact that all the staff that made the PS4 a running success is gone and you have a MS that goes to the offensive with a successful console reveal then you can probably imagine what's going on there.

Sony have a very good position right now but as history has show every console generation is like a hard reset and a single mistake can drag them down the whole generation and no company is immune to that.

Talking about the logo.... you have now ponies bragging about instagram likes LMAO!

22281 - 22300 of 22426 Posts