Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking, i was once told the higher the latency the better, but the one who told me is an idiot, and i say online the lower the better. But which is better for ram timinings? something like 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-18 etc.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
Lower is better. It specifically refers to how many clock cycles it takes to access data.

Latency is always better when its lower. Just like network and internet latency. In technology, its the measurement of time it takes for data to access or retrieve data or for data to go from one location to another. Faster and less amount of time is better.

If you want a more technical & thurough expanation of ram timings and specificaly what each number represents read the wikipedia article.
Memory timings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also btw ram timings aren't too important on your core2 system, when playing pc games on core2 architecture, you'll experinece probably around a 1-2% improvement, if that, going from 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-12 (if the memory is the same speed). I've been reading similar things are being experienced with games and and ram timings on core7.

you usually only see higher 5-5-5-18 timings on higher clocked ram like 1200mhz DDR2 modules. The faster the memory clock speed usually results in higher latency. In this case there is some discussion as to which is better, memory clock speed or ram timings. In the case of the 1200mhz 5-5-5-18 ram that would be better in most cases as opposed to 800mhz 4-4-4-12. But you are talking about minor imporvements. A single percentage point or two improvement in many games. You might kick ass in your synthetic memory benchmarks but real world pc game performance in most games i know of are not very much.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Don't worry too much about RAM timings, and for that matter, so long as it's at least 800MHz (this is for Core 2 systems with DDR2), don't worry too much about rated frequency, unless you're going to overclock to the moon and back (or have a CPU with a lower multiplier and you intend to overclock it and need the extra RAM speed just to meet the 1:1 ratio). RAM amount has always been more important than RAM frequency and/or timings.

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah just doin a little research. the same ram with the 444 is a little over 5 dollars more usually than the same stuff at 555. And i was rebuilding my pc by the end of the summer, a cheaper build, wanna get a GTX260, an e8600, the 1tb hdd and the neccesities.

Also wanna try the new(ish) 3d monitor with the nvidia glasses. although together thats 600$ alone. But its also the reason for going nvidia on the video card. I like the idea depending on how well it works.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Some mainboards do not like extremely tight timings, while others are perfectly fine with them.

·
9,320 Posts
I knew Lord Zedeck would be posting in this thread.

·
9,320 Posts

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
Just like that E8600

Get a E8500...or start thinking about quads...

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
I would actually say you should stick to the E8500 seeing as you're worried most about gaming performance and high clocks are starting to play a role again...and cheap quads don't have high clocks...either that or get a Q9400 or Q9550 or above...

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hm. Ill have to see how much i have to spend and all that end of this summer, especially with price drops by then. I may consider a 9550. I also like to dip into video editing and much more cpu dependant programs, so a quad may be a good idea.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
until you move to multigpu setups, where the Core i7 utterly dominates.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
the faster the better.. though, i would recommend vsync or cap the fps to 60fps to prevent microstuttering.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.