Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying more ram for my pc (dell 9100) and i needed to know how i could tell if the ram im buying is compatible with it(im buying from newegg) Also, i need to know how to install it onto my computer. Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Umm you need either a manual or go online or look at the memory you have and see what is it, "SO DIMM 200-pin" maybe, im not sure exaclty what you have, Installation , just plug it in and make sure its locked in, your bios may do automatic memory check, its too hard to tell. Why not give some more information about your current system, current memory etc.,

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
alrightyy...

Dell 9100
Pentium D Processor 2.8ghz 64bit+dual core
512mb of DDr2 ram (thats all i know about it)
Ati Radeon x600 w/hypermemory 256mb

Edit: here i found this on the dell website

"Memory

Type
dual-channel 400-, 533-, and 667-MHz DDR2

Memory connectors
four

Memory capacities
256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB

Minimum memory
512 MB

Maximum memory
4 GB

BIOS address
F0000h"
Source: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/SM/specs.htm#wp1053343

i found some ram at newegg:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227006

is it good?

·
Registered
378 Posts
use Cpu-z. (direct download)

Go to the SPD tab, and click through the slots until you find one thats filled. Check under max bandwidth and it should tell you the PC???? designation for your Ram. Buy that kind. (note: your motherboard may be able to handle faster, but this will tell you what Dell put in)

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks you for that. I found out its running at 266 mhz. I read that the computer will use that ram at the lowest speed thats installed, so if i buy faster ram, will it still run at 266?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Yes.. typically it's set in the BIOS (even on OEM PCs, such as your Dell). If you put any RAM in it now, it'll run at 266MHz (533MHz DDR).

·
Registered
378 Posts
while you can force it slower, doesn't the PC autodetect the speed? I checked my BIOS any almost everything is set to auto.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one last thing, if the ram doesnt workk on my computer (not compatible) can i get a refund from newegg? plus, is that one i picked decent?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've seen Geil memory offered as the "budget" RAM in gaming systems. Don't know much about it past that.

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One more Question, does the cas latency and timing have to be the same as well? thanks

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so i use CPU-z to figure out what my ram is and it says i have pc4300. But, if i go on dell websites or others, i search up my computer (dell 9100) and it says i haave pc4200. Then i look at the faq for cpu-z, and it says there could be some kind of error with ram or something. So, should i buy 4200 or 4300? thanks :)

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for clearing that up. And what is ECC?

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.