Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.Just today I was watching prices for RAM chips and I must say that they are pretty low...well...much much much lower then before:p
Anyway I am interested in how much RAM memory you guys have in your computers and what is the optimal RAM size today?1GB,2GB or more??
I will admit that for already 6 years I have 512 MB of RAM...I think that it's even DDR1 lol.:DI know that this is probably a funny question,but is there ANYONE here that still has 512 MB of RAM with the DDR1 or am I the only one???:dead:

What do you guys think how much of the process can 512 MB of RAM handle in Windows?Probably not much especially with today's programs...lol.
Oh by the way is there anyone that has Windows Vista with 512 MB of RAM?:dead:if yes,how slow it works? =P

I read that the 32-bit operating systems support maximum to 4 GB of RAM.But it always shows that you have 3.5 GB of RAM in your computer.Does that mean that Windows are not using ALL 4 GB,or they DO USE it,but they are showing 3.5 GB instead of 4 GB?????
I would really like to know the answer since I am planning to buy 4GB of RAM for my crapy laptop which sucks at everything else too,not just in RAM. :p

I also read that the 64-bit operating systems are supporting up to even 128 GB of RAM:wub:Is this true???And even if it is,how the hell is possible to have 128 GB of RAM inside of your computer???:rolleyes:You would need so many RAM slots lol...

I noticed that 99% of the people today has AT LEAST 2 GB of RAM and there is also a large number of people that has even 4 GB of RAM.
The thing that I am very interested in is how would games work with 4 GB of RAM?Let's take this for example.You have the game Half-Life 2 Episode Two and you configured it's graphic quality ALL to the maximum level.Now...if you have 64 MB in your graphic card,BUT 4 GB of RAM instead of the crapy 512 MB of RAM,would the game then work much faster???I am asking this because I never had more then 512 MB of RAM in my entire life lol.Ok I know that the graphic won't be perfectly good because the 64 MB for graphic sucks,but still textures would be little bit nicer.So I am just wondering would the game work fast with that 64 MB graphic card EVEN if you have 4 GB of RAM instead of 512 MB of RAM???????????And if yes,is there a big difference between DDR2 and DDR3?Is DDR3 MUCH faster then DDR2???
I heard for DDR4,only I never met anyone who has it :p

Just today I was scanning my TEST COMPUTER with the MemTest version 3.8 and it found an error on my RAM chip.BAH!!!Now I must buy a new 512 MB of RAM chips and then I won't have enough money for 4 GB of RAM for my laptop.:mad:

Nah...aynway as we all know,Windows XP supports up to 3.5 GB of RAM,and on the internet I read that you can make it to support WHOLE 4 GB of RAM by changing some things in the "boot.ini" file.Is this true???Anyone ever tryed this???

All of you who are using 32-bit Vista,what is the maximum size for the RAM memory???By the way...is here anyone who has 12 or even 16 GB of RAM?:D:D:D

If anyone here has much experience with this RAM memory things,I would really like if you give me some answers on the questions I asked.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
281 Posts
You need to focus you're questions. But, you can only use as much ram as you're mobo supports. Most modern mobos are capped at 8-12gb of ram. 12gb of ram is alot, and I don't know of any game or program the average user would need that much ram for.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I contemplated answering your questions, but ultimately decided to refrain from feeding the troll.

Otherwise; this thread is ultimate lulz.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Buy a new computer. If you spend 300Euros you'll have a computer infinitely better than the POS you currently own. If you're even half as dedicated as you pretend to be, it is quite possibly the single greatest investment of your life.

When you eventually do get a new PC, if you're on somewhat of a budget stick to DDR2... But if you've got cash to spend, go DDR3. The performance difference is minimal at best, but it will give you some headroom to upgrade in the future.

2GB RAM is the bare minimum nowadays. Currently I'm stuck with said amount not out of choice, but rather out of budget. If you buy a new PC, go with 4GB RAM. No more, no less. (Plausibly 6GB if you go Core i7).

And **** Windows XP. Windows 7 or GTFO.

And finally, for the love of anything sacred... LEARN HOW TO CONSTRUCT YOUR POSTS. Quite frankly, this is the last time I'm going to put up with your absolute absence of construction. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, google basic english construcion/grammar. It is simply unbearable in its current state, and I refuse to assist you any further unless you're willing to devote at the very least some time to fixing your oh so very distinct **** posting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Buy a new computer. If you spend 300Euros you'll have a computer infinitely better than the POS you currently own. If you're even half as dedicated as you pretend to be, it is quite possibly the single greatest investment of your life.

When you eventually do get a new PC, if you're on somewhat of a budget stick to DDR2... But if you've got cash to spend, go DDR3. The performance difference is minimal at best, but it will give you some headroom to upgrade in the future.

2GB RAM is the bare minimum nowadays. Currently I'm stuck with said amount not out of choice, but rather out of budget. If you buy a new PC, go with 4GB RAM. No more, no less. (Plausibly 6GB if you go Core i7).

And finally, for the love of anything sacred... LEARN HOW TO CONSTRUCT YOUR POSTS. Quite frankly, this is the last time I'm going to put up with your absolute absence of construction. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, google basic english construcion/grammar. It is simply unbearable in its current state, and I refuse to assist you any further unless you're willing to devote at the very least some time to fixing your oh so very distinct **** posting.
I was going to say that, but I think just getting to the point would better.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ugh, 512MB of ram? Assumingly a slow single core processor and a small HDD, too?

Time to recycle that piece of ****.
My HDD before was crapy 34 GB and I replaced it with the 120 GB HDD.Yeah the processor IS a single core with only 1.6 ghz.No dual or quad.:dead:Well 512 MB of RAM maybe is a peace of ****,but it always served me good lol.Even thought that there were days when I lost my nerves by waiting for the game to exit heh...

May I ask what's wrong with Windows XP???
Oh and I know that my posts are usually unreadable.Heh.The reason is because while I am writing,in the middle of it I always remember of how many things I want to ask and I forget about the post construct.:D
I apologize for that.In the future I will try to make it more "readable".:rolleyes:

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
for me thats still to expensive sence i would need to pick up 4 of them and just dont have the money to do that right now

edit: and the amount of ram i have in here is less then 2 gigs its at 1.75 gigs split among 3 512 sticks of ddr1 pc3200 and a single stick of 256 at ddr1 pc2700

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts

Cheesus, please phrase things slightly more civil in the non-bin sections, such language can be rather intimidating for new members as they might get the idea they'd get the same treatment if they have a basic-level question :)

STARS: If you'd first get a general idea of what you actually want to ask and break things down into paragraphs that are readable and answerable per each of them, it would make it much easier for us to read your question, and many more would be willing to spend time in your thread. We're not asking for university-level essays but some willingness to make yourself understandable would be most appreciated.

As for your hardware questions:
32 bit has an addressing limit. Hardware and windows needs some of this addressing space, resulting in there being a maximum amount of RAM it can address at the same time, which hovers around 3.5GB, depending on other hardware.

The reason why 64bit supports so much is simple: To be future proof so that they don't have to switch again within the next two years. Still that limit is most likely also a technical one.

As for now: 2GB is a minimum you'll need to run a standard Windows with all service packs, assuming you have a virusscan and several other programs running in the background while you want to run a heavy application. The full 2GB won't always be used unless you're a heavy PC user, but you need the 2x1GB combination for the speed it gives (Dual Channel), and 2x512MB just doesn't cut it anymore.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
RAM: Used: 1509/1919MB (78% Load)

·
The Master of Disguise
808 Posts
I don't know what it is u guys do but, I never have used more than 900mb/2GB of RAM. U guys just like having 20 open websites at the same time while listening to music and playing a game without looking at the game screen, seriously though 2GB will stay on my system for a good while until something really demanding hits the scene.

The only reason I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM is because this one gives me a bit of trouble when going past the 800MHz mark which is no help when it comes to OCing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.