·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help picking between this 3 brands:

KINGSTON: DIMM 4GB DDR2 PC6400 KINGSTON (KIT X 2) KVR800D2N6K2/4G

MUSHKIN: DIMM 4GB DDR2 PC6400 MUSHKIN KIT 996633

A-Data: DIMM 4GB DDR2 PC6400 A-DATA KIT VITESTA EXTREME

The corsair i currently have are no good i need something so i can overclock my CPU to at least 3.7 that meaning upping the fsb to 268 (i don't mind if i have to lower the ram from 800 to 667 to achieve that i just want them to work with that fsb mainly).

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
It would be better to get some RAM sticks that are approved for a higher speed like 1066, 1200, or 1333.

Out of those brands I would go with Mushkin. Even their value series OCs well. Though a +68MHz OC on your FSB is quite extreme and almost guarantees that you will have to drop your RAM multiplier.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
I have the Adata Vitesta but mine is 2GB kit, it's not bad if you run it @ default , but it doesn't OC well and the timing is terrible, Don't get it.
Out of the three I say Mushkin is the better one, but I'd get G.skill or Crucial ballistix if I were to buy new RAM...

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Adata Vitesta but mine is 2GB kit, it's not bad if you run it @ default , but it doesn't OC well and the timing is terrible, Don't get it.
Out of the three I say Mushkin is the better one, but I'd get G.skill or Crucial ballistix if I were to buy new RAM...
Those 2 brands aren't even listed at the shop i got to get my ram from :p.

It would be better to get some RAM sticks that are approved for a higher speed like 1066, 1200, or 1333.

Out of those brands I would go with Mushkin. Even their value series OCs well. Though a +68MHz OC on your FSB is quite extreme and almost guarantees that you will have to drop your RAM multiplier.
Based on your comment i did some more digging.

How about this ?

4GB DDR2 PC8500 MUSHKIN KIT 996599ES

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I would say it's between the Mushkin and the Kingston and you should go for whichever is cheaper.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
That Mushkin kit is listed as high performance/gaming and gets excellent marks in various reviews on other hardware sites. I've never had any problems with Mushkin RAM and they've always OCed very well. I'd get 'em.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
I think that was just a matter of you getting the wrong modules, their PC6400 "Xtreme Gamer" memory costs about as much as their PC6400 Value-RAM, so I don't think it's much different from it either. Most enthusiasts use Corsair Dominator PC8500, and that overclocks very well for many people.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
So i got this:

4GB DDR2 PC8500 MUSHKIN KIT 996599ES

Huge difference from corsair to them got all the way up to 285 fsb and a stable 1200 Mhz ... then i got bored :lol: i'll probably experiment some more if i'll get a better cpu cooler.

Good to hear! Corsair is still a good brand it's just that you have to shell out a lot more money for their "good stuff".

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All i know is that i had this:

in two different version (2.7 and 5.9) neither could go above 240 FSB

And even my poor Kingmax could take 264 FSB

Good to hear! Corsair is still a good brand it's just that you have to shell out a lot more money for their "good stuff".
Probably true though they marketed mine as a good overclocking choice to that's why it buggs me.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
!

XMS2 is supposed to be pretty good... hatred justified.

Corsair is on my ****list because of my power supply. The individual components are high quality, but it was all assembled in China according to a sticker on the housing. The 4-pin molex connectors didn't have any of their leads properly aligned so connecting them to a device was almost impossible. Fortunately, there is only 1 such connection in my case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.