Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well , whatever how much you become good in something , time proves to you , that you are still know little .

Last week , I've known about a SNES game for an addon called Satellvision . Which is a text based RPG released by Squaresoft in 1996 . It was called Radical Dreamers . The name rings a bell for Chrono Trigger world fans . As that's the name of the song at the ending of Chrono Cross (You must hear that really) . And what was astonishing is that the game was said to be the real sequel of CT . So without hesitation I got the game and was ready to play it . And I was met with something good (not as CT or CC ofcourse , as it's just a text RPG ) .

The game revealed some secrets and teasers about CT (one of them is really sad to CT fans) . And it's actually a small part of CC , which shows that CC is the excelent conversion of this game from Text RPG to a full Graphical one .

Kid , Serge and Guile (this time named Magil) are there , trying to steal the Frozen Flame from Viper's Manor . As usual in CT world , there are 7 endings possible .

Actually I'm sure many of you know already about this game , and that I'm the one who was sleeping in an icy cave for many years :p .

Some facts , I want to refer to :

1) The Magil/Guile being Magus thing is greatly appearing here aswell (many thought guile is magus after playing CC) . I think Square put Magil as Magus in Radical Dreamers , but have changed their minds in CC (play the game and you'll know why , Magil is Magus , no doubt) .
(have added one of the proofs between pics attached) :)

2) Some of the music of the game is used as it is in CC . Battle theme is a good example .

3) Chrono cross contains this game inside , it even completes it's events .

Check some of the pics , i've captured . I removed the text in some to show artwork .

I've ripped one of the music pieces too . In spc format though . Winamp can play it with a specific plugin .

·
space trader
1,803 Posts
cloudvii said:
Actually I'm sure many of you know already about this game , and that I'm the one who was sleeping in an icy cave for many years :p .
...heh heh... I guess you can say something like that, yeah ;) (no offence)

...the connection betwen CT/CC and Radical Dreamers was known even to non-Japanese speaking CT fans, for several years now (even before the game was translated).
Even I have heard about this game, and I'm not exactly the "console game savvy" kind of person - far from it, actually !! (suffice it to say, that I've yet to finish CT or CC :p ).

Anyway, it's good to see that more and more people get to know this game, and actually like playing it, too !! :) (I'm saying this because adventure games tend not to be very popular - especially nowadays).

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yeah i do know that song, didnt knew if it had any connection with CC it self or it just a random name for the music (didnt finish the game), but the music is beautifull. Btw if anyof of you guys know where i can get translated lyrics of it i would apreciate it :p

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
ive played it a while back when the translation aptch got out and didnt like too much the text base so i never went completly through the game...

Music is very good, some of the songs appearing also in CC are better in RD.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
i played it a long time ago once they translater it, i believe i got 4 or so endings, it was kind of a strange game but it was still good, specially since i was bored then ;)

anyways... concerning the magus/gil (magil)/ guile thing... ive said it a looooong time ago when i was still a new member... magus in ct IS magil ... but... NOT guile in cc... i believe the story goes that they were going to make guile be magus, BUT, they ran out of time and just wanted to get the game out so they skipped making a whole huge sidequest for him and his background. Also, you'll remember that Magil was Kid's protector in RD, and in cc there is a small sidequest later in the game where kid finds a note left to her by lucca before she died, and she says something along the lines of "you'll always have people look out for you, isnt that right janus" ... if youll remember from ct... magus real name from the zeal kingdom is janus... it was probably something they forgot to take out or left in there to get people talking about it, but either way there is no magus in cc because they didnt build upon it

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Strider , that proves to myself that i'm right . While I don't think they put Magus out of CC because they ran out of time . I think they got him out because of different things . As you know they took much much big time for CC , what would stop them from talking some more time when compared to 5 years ? Magil was supposed to be Magus in their first thought of CC . But for some reason they changed their mind totally , and they changed his name to Guile and changed his Design as well (look at the pic s above and compare it with Guile) . While sharing the same characteristics and many other things they aren't the same design nor the same personality (slightly changed personality though)

Actually when I played CC at the start , I thought Guile is Magus really , but after that I knew he isn't for sure

*Spoiler

(At least he'd say anything after they save Schala)

*end of spoiler

But I really wanted him to be in their and to find Schala , the guy is one of my favourite characters ever . And I think fans wouyld appreciate it more if he was in CC :( .

Back to Radical dreamers , that game rocks for reading fans . It's very cool and boring at the same time , battles are repetitive and every monster has it's same order of killing , like : "duck" , then "ram it" then throw it on floor" for skeletons :p (Play the game , and you'll know what I mean ;) .

Maybe we'll have to wait for Chrono Break (If it'll ever exist) to see Magus again :) .

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
yeah i wish magus was in cc too, although cc had its open ended characters/parties, it wouldve helped if you still had 3 main characters; Serge, Kid, and Magus... glenn and karsh are the closest things to a third main character but theyre still secondary, you can replace them for example with grobyc or norris (i personally used serge / norris / kid when i didnt have glenn, and serge / kid / glenn when i did have him)

it would be kinda weird to have magus all weak at the beginning of the game though considering he was always extremely strong :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts