Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Ive been using a GeXcube Radeon 9600 Pro for a while now, and after I recently formatted my computer, the card had been acting very strange.
Ive been having refresh rate problems, it always stays at 60Hz even if I change the Refresh Settings in the ATI Control Panel or the Monitor Settings, it still stays at 60hz.
The monitor also flickers sometimes.
Also the computer doesnt recoqnise what monitor I have as its set as default monitor where as before it use to. I tried all the latest drivers and updates and this still hasnt fixed the problem.
I even changed my motherboard from a ECS K7S5A Pro to an Asrock K7VT6 but it made no difference.

What do I do?

:cry:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
doubtful the card just fried....

What is the order you installed your drivers? You wanna install the AGP drivers first, then the Catalyst drivers

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
try changing the monitor driver to Plug N Play Monitor, the default monitor seems to have detection problems and just opens up every setting, but sometimes it does very little.

plug n play seems to work alright for me tho, failing that, goto your monitor manufacturers site and get the inf file for your monitor

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
refraction said:
plug n play seems to work alright for me tho, failing that, goto your monitor manufacturers site and get the inf file for your monitor
actually I would try and make a custom inf file using RivaTuner. You have more control with the refresh rates that way

·
Registered
181 Posts
i remember reading about a problem with ati's drivers, that they dont keep there refresh rate and go back to 60 hz. Try a google search for "Multires" it a free program that can fix that little refresh problem u have.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
sonicfoot said:
The monitor also flickers sometimes.
what do you mean by flickering??? Is it one of those things where the monitor loses the signal for about 10 seconds, then it displays again with a ATi VPU Recover error?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
There's a feature used to lock refresh rates on custom settings, but some games (HL1 and prolly 2) tend to override these with default one. The trick? DL Refreshlock, manually
set refresh rate for every resolution, apply, ask it to load at windows startup...
Then there will be a small icon in the taskbar, it only takes about 700kb of your RAM,
and overrides ANY defaut and/or games forced values with the soft's one.
(note: it doesn't apply on DOS games, but who cares ;))

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay!
1. First I always Install the AGP Drivers first, then the Catalyst drivers.
2. I used the plug and play display driver, no difference.
3. I used multires, no affect.
4. I made a custom monitor ini with Rivatuner. Fixed the problem sort of.
5. I still get flickering every now and then. Its like a black line which apears across the screen whenever i do things like open something from tasktray, or opening the display propreties, and other things.
Its almost feels like my monitor is gonna break.
:(

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Don't stay too close to your monitor :p

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had a similiar problem,whenever i changed my refresh nothing happened, i solved it setting the max refresh of my monitor as the picture shows.

-DeathPenalty

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
the flickering might have something to do with DirectX...

disable ALL DirectX acceleration options from within dxdiag, restart, then try to recrerate the problem

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could it be a power supply problem? I have 2 harddrives, 4 fans (front, side, rear and CPU Fan), a CDwriter and DVD writer running on a 300w powersupply.

·
Registered
885 Posts
if it is power supply try disconnecting your fan, also you can try to unplug your graphics card then replug it again.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
A 300w powerpack for all that equipment? But even if that could be the case, you said it was working before you reinstalled windows....which leads me to believe that it must be a software issue, not hardware.

I would recommend reinstalling XP, followed by your AGP drivers, DX9.0c and then the Catalyst drivers (4.12 now). Then use a util called ReForce (can't be arsed to get the link..search in google). Very nifty program, and hopefully there should be no problems.

r2rX :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts