Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Hmm, I read that review. It seems the Radeon 8500 still needs a lot of work in the drivers section. In true gaming scenarios it falls short of the GeFoce 3 and only scores good in the theoretical scores. It's also missing the SmoothVision FSAA. I kinda get the feeling that the product was somewhat rushed at the end...

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
check here for real world stats and performance from the 8500 with the current drivers.. Its not looking too good for ATi at the moment.. The geforce3 ti 500 is still king..

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1544

The card has potential, but how long are we gonna have to wait until we see it..

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i think ati rushed releasing the 8500 in order not to be totally left behind, although i think once the drivers mature the 8500 should start to show its true potential, albeit, the nvidia group is probably the best optimizers out there, so its going to be hard competing with a solid group like that.. software wise anyhow...:)

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
Ive been looking about as I own a radeon64 and was considering upgradeing to a 8500 sometime,but from what I've seen and read ati have blown it again.Fair enough the cards only just been released but the release drivers seem the same as they preview drivers that toms hardware previewed 2 months or so ago,and if ati aint improved/implemented the new features since then whats to say they will anytime soon.
I bought my radeon and I'm satisfied with it but the drivers have never released the full potential of my card with out tweaking.
I formatted the otherday and dloaded the newest beta drivers for it and they sucked big time so I had to dload another set which were better but the thing is these 2 sets of drivers came in at a total size of 20summat mb which is just annoying on a 56k.
When I bought my card all I heard was atis drivers are getting better but all the sets Ive ever tried are allmost the same (within 5% fps wise).
Im also sick of getting a new driver set only to find the vid in wont work and as for the fsaa on my radeon well it just plain sux,either it doesnt work in most of the drivers or it makes no dissernable difference.
So Im not gonna buy another ati card untill ati proves there drivers are actually releasing the full potential of the card.
Its a pity as they 8500 has some good looking features but ati seem more interested in saying our card can do this and the geforce cant when in actuall fact the radeons exclusive features are never/rarelly used.
mmmmmm I think my next cards gonna be a g3...pity
J:eyes:Z

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I think we should cut ATi some slack. They only recently got seriously into the 3D graphics scene and they're bound to make some mistakes. On the whole I think they're doing well, and giving nVidia some serious competition. Plus, ATi cards have superior 2D features and performance. Personally, I don't like the 16bit video quality of nVidia cards.

FSAA isn't all it's cracked up to be. 4XFSAA on my GF2 Pro doesn't make that big of a difference. I can still see plenty of jaggies, although they're less noticable and blurred out. FSAA may look good in still shots but it's a whole different story animated. Judging from screenshots, the FSAA quality of ATi and nVidia cards seem to be pretty much equal.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
think we should cut ATi some slack.
Well yes, they are trying to do their best. But if trying to do their best means releasing "immature" products, then they deserve to be flamed their as$es off!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts