Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well I have a bunch of questions....just having an answer to 1 question at a time is fine..

Out of these 3, which one is the best? R4, M3 Simply or M3 Real?
Maybe it depends on what I want out of them, I want to play music, ds games, videos, and gba games.
A plus would be to play SNES games.

Now is there something entirely separate for playing gba games on my ds like that GBA Expansion pack that can be bundled with the m3 real?

I heard somewhere that the GBA expansion pack takes TONS of battery power though..is that true?

I've seen on youtube people using M3 DS real with the EZ Flash V Expansion Pack to play GBA games, and I've seen people use M3 DS real and the GBA Expansion pack to somehow play SNES games.

Which of the 3 has the best video playing quality?
Music quality?

What would I need to play videos, music, SNES, GBA, and DS games..all on my DS?

Now a few questions about No$gba and iDeaS:

Is it possible to move/convert save files from these 2 emulators onto R4 and M3?

Oh and also is it possible to move save files from various SNES and GBA emulators onto R4 and M3?
R4 and M3 pretty much have the same compatibility with DS games...I have read that much. Which one gets updated more often though?

I'm planning on getting this stuff for Christmas. Anyone know a cheap/safe/reliable site to buy this stuff?

I think that's all of my questions...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just to answer a few of those questions:

If I had to chose out of those 3, I'd go with M3 Real. My personal favorite is AceKard2 though, and I also Like the DSTT as well.

If you want a lot of information on these cards and which one would be best for you, check out gbatemp.net and go through the forums. Best place on the net to learn about flash cards.

Also, if you want a great website to buy from, I recommend Dealextreme.com. Everything has free shipping, but the items come from China so the shipping takes a little longer. Getting the DSTT for $6.63 shipped, or the Acekard 2 for $12.06 shipped is great! They also have the R4 for under $9 shipped, though the M3 is near $30. Do some research and GBAtemp and decide which card is best for you :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gbatemp.net is awesome! Thanks for telling me about it :D
It has tons of good info. This site should answer most of my questions actually..

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
M3 Simply isn't worth it, Real is basically the same cart but with more features.
One of my friends has an R4 and although it didn't seem to have many features, it was functional and its GUI was much more reactive than M3 ones (excluding beta Sakura firmwares for Real). Also the M3 team added RTS (equivalent to emulator savestates) to their list of advantages ^^

BUT, I must warn you about something, I with my brightness set to 2/4, I can barely play 4 or 5 hours before the LED goes red. It might be a defective battery, but the M3 is also know to drag more power than most other carts.

And GBAtemp indeed rocks ;)
I recommand you use the iSakuReal firmware from the download section, it includes standard Real OS (slow and ugly but solid homebrow compatibility + RTS), iTouch (R4/Simply-like OS, basically useless IMO) and the hacked Sakura beta (nice and fast GUI, best video/music support, but broken homebrew and RTS not added yet)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Right now I've got in narrowed down to an M3 Real VS an Acekard 2.
I'm going to look into how much power the M3 drains, thanks for the heads up. And I borrowed my friends M3 Real for the brief period that I could and I put Sakura on it. It IS kinda ugly, but it's capable.
The Acekard 2 is appealing to me because it's so...skinnable and just looks cool..haha
I'm also going to look into how long an Acekard lasts, I saw a guy complaining on GBAtemp about how his Acekard didn't even last a year.
I'm eventually going to buy that 3 in 1 ezflash expansion pack, though I've looked on a couple of sites and they were sold out most of the time..
And I don't know if I'm willing to wait for DealExtreme's long shipping times..but if I'm saving a good chunk of money I might just go for it. So basically I'm still looking for a site to buy from too...and since it's almost Christmas, stuff is getting sold out and all that. I'm looking for a site that can get this to me in a week or less if possible. I live in Texas, (central USA)

Which do you guys prefer? Acekard 2 or M3 Real?
I doubt alot of people have both..so if anyone could just let me know from their own personal experience what they like/don't like about either of them, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I dunno how much skinnability is important for you, but M3 can be skinned too. Both the standard version (the slow one...) and Sakura (in which you can also change the wallpaper independantly). That is, if my battery consumption problem is really because of the M3 and you need to be able to play for more than 4hours without staying plugged to a wall, you'd better ask/check on gbatemp forums and elsewhere how both drain it.

I'm not sure if Acekard supports real time saves though, so if you want this feature, M3 Real is one of the only few that has it.

Can't tell you where to buy it, sorry, I already had hard time finding a seller in France, where Nintendo officially threatened those who sold them looooong ago :s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to go with the M3 Real. The Acekard 2 doesn't have the RTS function and plus I've read that the Acekard 2 kinda dies on people randomly. I mean the M3 Real dies sometimes too, but just with a google search you can see that it happens more often with Acekards. I don't know if that was fixed in 2.1 or whatever but that's enough for me.
Acekard has a cool looking interface and you can skin it tons but I'm sure that would get old after a while. The Acekard doesn't look like it's built to last as long as an M3..Plus the M3 can come bundled with the ezflash 3 in 1 which is nice. 4 hour battery power should be enough, I never take trips on the road that last more than 3 hours, I'll mostly be using it at home, which is where I'll have my charger anyway.
And lastly I've plain just had more experience using an M3 Real, which I borrowed from my friend.
All that's left now is to find out where to buy it, check which SD cards are compatible with it, and find the cheapest SD cards with the most space.
Just one little tiny question. Can the M3 Real use the in-game guide function? I'm still buying it regardless but I just couldn't find out if it did because when I googled it I just came up with how-to-use M3 guides.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I don't know what you call ingame guides, could you explain?
My M3 works well with my 4GB Dane-Elec µSD card. Don't buy a too cheap card, as those have lower read/write speeds. It can break some games that access a lot of data at once, and makes saving games a tad slower (esp RTS that dump 4MB of RAM to the card for each savestate slot). Not mentionning the process of filling you cart with ROMs and MP3s ^^'.
Go for average price/reliable brand, you don't need to get a high-priced one, though I recommand you go directly for at least a 2 or 4GB since it gets filled pretty fast, even by trimming tthe ROMs (esp if you also plan to use it for music). Mine came with an 1GB card and it showed itself to be really too small, so I had to get a 4GB and gave this one to a friend for his phone ^^'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The in-game guides thing..well I don't know too much about it myself but I read that there were a few flashcards where you could put a guide from..like...gamefaqs on it and read the guide in-game. I read it while I was looking into which card to buy so I don't remember which flashcard had it exactly..
I'm looking into buying from realhotstuff.com, and they're selling M3 reals for $36, and I have an option to bundle it with an SD card. I know I want a 4 gig so they have Sandisk 4gig micro SDHC for another $25. Is that a good price? O and they are including a little 1 gig as a weekly bonus that comes with the M3.

M3 DS Real

Apparently the site ships pretty fast
Real Hot Stuff - realhotstuff.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
But it iiiis almost Christmas..

I'm looking here for my 3 in 1
GamerSection.ca Gaming Accessories - Canada & USA

I have an original fat DS, so I couldn't find an M3 bundled with one of the GBA game sized 3 in 1s.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
M3 doesn't have such feature (concerning guides), sorry :p
4GB for about 30$ is an ok price. If you get and extra GB for the same price it's ok, but I doubt you'll love to switch between 2 cards just to change games (they're so small you can easily lose them, and it can wear the flashcart socket after a while).

Basically, all you want is the flashcart itself with an USB reader. Don't waste money on a bundle that includes 1GB, or even a rumble-pack (they're useless in most games, very noisy and power-consuming when a game uses it). The only extra you can consider is a slot2 extension for GBA ROM support or extra-but-non-vital features.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gbatemp just got....awesomer.

Amazon.com: Sandisk 4GB MicroSDHC Memory Card with SD Adapter (BULK Packaging): Electronics

See now I can pay you back for all the help with this link to cheap SD cards! Woo! Realhotstuff.com would of sold this for about 30 bucks.
Plus people at gbatemp said to get this pack instead of the ezflash 3 in 1:

M3 DS Real Rumble GBA Expansion Pak

and just to make sure to get the free expansion pack case. Since I have the original DS fat then with that free replacement case I can replace the DS lite case with the GBA game sized case and that'd fit.

$12.58 for the SD card
$52.00 for the M3 DS Real - Rumble & GBA Expansion Pak
$64.58
Plus whatever shipping is...
So about $75-$80?

Glad I'm finally done debating on what to get now...time to play games and enjoy my vacation...aaaa...

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Too bad we don't have the same kind of prices in France ^^'
52$ is nice for such a bundle, although you'll quickly want to drop the rumble pack. At least you have the GBA expansion (does it work as a RAMpack too?)
Anyways, whatever the price is, it's always worth to have if you play a lot of games. That you'll dump yourself from your own carts, of course... :innocent:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts