Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on the site that the FPS are due to the high CPU requirement of the console:

...simply due to the CPU power required to get 'playable' speeds from a PS2 game under emulation.
So is the limited FPS due to the lack of hardware acceleration so far (as is so often the case in early development emulators), or because of this supposedly uber-powerful PS2 CPU? I'm just hoping to get this distinction cleared up.

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
aperson said:
I read on the site that the FPS are due to the high CPU requirement of the console:

So is the limited FPS due to the lack of hardware acceleration so far (as is so often the case in early development emulators), or because of this supposedly uber-powerful PS2 CPU? I'm just hoping to get this distinction cleared up.
well the problem is the PS2 isnt just 1 CPU, its 2 plus about 5 sub processors.

EE Core - The PS2's main core
IOP - A PSX core used with the EE Core but for the device side/PS1 emulation
VPU - A sub processor which handles all the vertex information (this sucks a lot of the power when in 3d games)
SPU - Sub processor handling the sound
IPU - Mpeg hardware decoding unit designed for handling the video side and image effects
GS - The graphics engine the PS2 uses

im sure there is possibly more, and we have to emulate all of these and the functions that link these together in a real PS2, so as you can imagine, the data rates we require are extreme, over 24gb/sec of PS2 data is required, which is very difficult to achieve when emulating it on a different architecture

·
Narcissist
725 Posts

·
Familiar Face
5,307 Posts

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
Sorry, I knew it was someone who posts regularly ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.