Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got myself a new external hdd and i was just wondering what the best way to move it is.

before i had a maxtor drive that i used to put back in the box and move it.

just wondering if that is necessary, or if it is just as well to put the drive and the cables in a plastic bag.

i'm traveling a about twice a week with a bus or a car and wondered what the safest way to move the external drive is?

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
i just got myself a new external hdd and i was just wondering what the best way to move it is.

before i had a maxtor drive that i used to put back in the box and move it.

just wondering if that is necessary, or if it is just as well to put the drive and the cables in a plastic bag.

i'm traveling a about twice a week with a bus or a car and wondered what the safest way to move the external drive is?
....pick it up and move it? It already has an enclosure; does it not?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, just me being overprotective then.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
you're going to have to be throwing it against the floor to cause enough of a shock to damage it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my last external hdd fell to the floor while i was copying some stuff to my friends computer, and it stopped working.
but i guess it is much easier to damage the drive while it's in use.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
That would be be obvious cuz whilst the drive is in use the head is spinning constantly so it's much easier for the drive to experience a head crash when jolted too hard. However when not connected the head is stationary and only dependant on your movement and how violently you move it so it's much less likely to happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.