Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, what are the optimal settings for running the game using the latest version of nullDC?

Second, is there any fix for the problem of your character moving on their own even when you're not pressing the movement keys?

Third, I've heard that the original game used the VMU screen and Rumble features for some things in the game, like finding items. If you have a guide to these item locations, will you be able to find them without the VMU and such?

And lastly, I read that there are a few things in the game that can only be accessed by downloading something, though the Dreamcast servers likely don't exist anymore. Yet, I found a website (Downloads - The SoA Addons) that has those things for download, and was wondering if there is any way to get those into the game.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
System Specs:

WinXP Pro x64 edition
Intel Core2Duo e6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
Ati Radeon x1950pro, 512mb
Realtek HD Audio, integrated sound card
24", 1650x1080 resolution

Using v1.0.0 beta 1.6:

1) nullpvr, Image Reader, nullAICA. All in default settings. I get a constant 60FPS, with decent audio. Sometimes either the background music or certain beats or melodies within the music will cut out leaving just the SFX. This rarely happened in all of my 30 hours of gameplay. There are graphical glitches with the skies because nullDC doesn't handle transparencies properly sometimes (or for whatever reason). Clouds/trees/buildings may have messy edges or fringing, denoting where things should be transparent. Possibly related is the fact that anywhere there is fog in the game, there won't be any in nullDC such as Glacia and Rixis.

2) I've only seen this problem when you press and hold a button when the game is booting up. Never seen this happen in-game on nullDC.

3) There is a VMU emulation being developed for some future release of nullDC, but as of right now, there's no visual vmu to look at while playing on nullDC. You will just have to either remember where the chams/choms are or use a guide.

4) You have to use vmuexplorer which can be found here: -- Blue Swirl --. You take the saves from your game, open them up with vmuexplorer, upload the downloadable files to explorer and save the new file. When you load up the VMU in SoA, it will recognize the downloads like it should.

I'd also like to thank the nullDC developers for creating this awesome emulator. The day my Dreamcast died (a month ago) I was wondering if I'd ever be able to play Skies of Arcadia or Shenmue again. nullDC gave me that chance. Thanks and keep up the good work.

·
Deus ex machina
1,110 Posts
System Specs:

WinXP Pro x64 edition
Intel Core2Duo e6600 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
Ati Radeon x1950pro, 512mb
Realtek HD Audio, integrated sound card
24", 1650x1080 resolution

Using v1.0.0 beta 1.6:

1) nullpvr, Image Reader, nullAICA. All in default settings. I get a constant 60FPS, with decent audio. Sometimes either the background music or certain beats or melodies within the music will cut out leaving just the SFX. This rarely happened in all of my 30 hours of gameplay. There are graphical glitches with the skies because nullDC doesn't handle transparencies properly sometimes (or for whatever reason). Clouds/trees/buildings may have messy edges or fringing, denoting where things should be transparent. Possibly related is the fact that anywhere there is fog in the game, there won't be any in nullDC such as Glacia and Rixis.

2) I've only seen this problem when you press and hold a button when the game is booting up. Never seen this happen in-game on nullDC.

3) There is a VMU emulation being developed for some future release of nullDC, but as of right now, there's no visual vmu to look at while playing on nullDC. You will just have to either remember where the chams/choms are or use a guide.

4) You have to use vmuexplorer which can be found here: -- Blue Swirl --. You take the saves from your game, open them up with vmuexplorer, upload the downloadable files to explorer and save the new file. When you load up the VMU in SoA, it will recognize the downloads like it should.

I'd also like to thank the nullDC developers for creating this awesome emulator. The day my Dreamcast died (a month ago) I was wondering if I'd ever be able to play Skies of Arcadia or Shenmue again. nullDC gave me that chance. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Toothhermit you use an old version of Null DC. The current one is 1.0.3 (it is already five months old) and it has less graphical glitches, VMU emulation and fog emulation(but controller support is broken). You were probably fooled by the name of the version... And an even newer version than that is planned with fixed controller support , better sound in Shenmue, etc...

See the threads below for more info...

http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-discussion/88095-nulldc-progress-report-new-features-problems-fixed-problems-remaining-21-11-08-a.html

http://forums.ngemu.com/nulldc-discussion/110114-nulldc-1-0-3-naomi-input-fix-released.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
orly...

Haha. I don't follow dreamcast emulation so I just downloaded whatever I came across, downloading nullDC from another site which said it was the newest version. I guess it gives me another reason to play through some games again using the updated version. The internetz is so big.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've tested out 1.0.3 and have some new comments:

Graphical glitches in the skies still exist. Some transparencies are fixed, but new graphical glitches seem to have sprung up from the previous release. Glitches like being able to see through islands on one side as if the polygons were removed and the clouds which go past you when you're flying a ship obscuring the view. I've just noticed that changing 'sort: strip' in the powervr settings to 'per triangle' makes the menu look perfect, but introduces graphical glitches in the skies and islands. The fringing around objects still exists.

Things in the audio department are somewhat better. Music in the game is almost fully intact, however new SFX glitches have come up like the absence of the sound when an enemy is defeated and disappears. Another rather odd thing is that the music in the first disc's intro is nearly perfect, but when you go into the VMU selection screen and into the game itself, the sound quality seems to lower substantially and sounds tinny. Even changing the buffer size doesn't help. The previous version did not have this problem.

Other general things:
-This version tends to load/read GDIs slower than the previous version which boot up almost instantly
-For whatever reason (probably some compatibility issue with my computer) the emulator tends to lock up randomly for split seconds every minute or so causing hiccups in game play
-The emulator freezes for a few seconds when maximizing or minimizing the window unlike the previous version

One great thing is the VMU emulation which looks perfectly implemented. You can actually see what's on the VMU screen. Great.

I'd suggest sticking with beta 1.6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The worst in this all that SoA fails in the black screen randomly! I can't play normally either on beta 1.6 and 1.0.3 - that black screen chaising me! I have no idea about it - i was trying all options in all plugins, it can't help.
Now i'm playing on Demul 0.50 - there is no crashes on him, but it's still far from perfect emulation.
Anybody have an idea?

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
If you want an alternativ in dreamcast emulation try writhing makaron on google an emu made by deunan other than that i dont think there are other DC emu's out there

·
Registered
599 Posts
The worst in this all that SoA fails in the black screen randomly! I can't play normally either on beta 1.6 and 1.0.3 - that black screen chaising me! I have no idea about it - i was trying all options in all plugins, it can't help.
Now i'm playing on Demul 0.50 - there is no crashes on him, but it's still far from perfect emulation.
Anybody have an idea?
I recently found the cause of this, and it will be (hopefully) fixed on 1.0.4.At least, the flash file corruption will be ;p

@Toothhermit: i know this is a bit late, but the slowness on resize/fullscreen is because the renderer reinits to render on the full resolution, instead of simply stretching to it

·
Deus ex machina
1,110 Posts
Thanks, drkIIRaziel! I'll be waiting! )))
In the meantime avoid entering and exiting the menu too often since this triggers it usually. Enter only if it is necessary and always save before exiting (it helped me a lot to finish the game without drawbacks ;))

·
Registered
32 Posts
about uploading file for SoA i get an error...when i try to upload 1 of the downloads using vmuexplorer it says> "cant import VM file. Error -10". anyone knows what does that mean?? heres an image of my little problem...

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8537/semttulokpy.jpg

and here-s my save game in case anyone wants to try and import the download files to that memory card and then post it back on this topic. I would appreciate so much! thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same plug-ins selected as you do in NullDC 1.3 for my NullDC 1.6. I have 2 ghz of RAM, and new NVidia graphics card, Windows Vista, on a computer than runs Elder Scrolls IV fairly well. When I load the backup file of SoA.nrg file on NullDC it comes up as a music CD.

Could anyone help me to play SoA again now that my Dreamcast is dead?! I've spent, literally and honestly, days trying to get this to work and to know avail. I've tried Chankast with the same result: music CD.

·
Time Lord
1,989 Posts
assuming you dont want to rip the game from your dreamcast /bb adaptor all over again, I would use nero to burn the dc back up disc from the nrg image file, then use alcohol 120% or discjuggler to make a cdi image from the disc

1 - 17 of 17 Posts