Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. This may be an improper post, or may be in the wrong area...if either of these is the case then let me first apologize.
I am curious to know if ps2 emulation is actually working properly now days. I tried many years ago but to no success due to many issues, probably mostly relating to the fact that I didnt have a very good machine. I do realize that there are alot of posts talking about working games and so on, but Id love to hear straight from the horses mouth if you will that ps2 emulation IS in fact working and is successful. My ps2 for many years has sat in a box due to a broken motor in the cd tray and I never managed to get it working again, so for the records I do own a ps2 and many games. So if anyone can accuratly report the status of ps2 emulation and possibly a list of compatible games I would deeply appreciate it! Thanks in advance :)

And also Id like to post my PC specs in hopes someone can tell me if its enough to emulate the PS2 properly.
AMD Phenom 9600 2.3Ghz
4gb DDR2 800
Nvidia 8800GT

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alright Im looking into it now. Thank you for the speedy response!

any suggestions to get me started? version of pcsx2? Plugins? Anything like that would be great!

PS. I am very well aware of this sites policy on not endorsing or helping to locate roms or isos. So let me ask simply this. Is there a way to clone my games or do I have to hunt down someone elses rip?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
You can either run it from the disc, or make an ISO image of it.

Your PC will be "okay", but overclock the CPU if you want best results. It's a bit underpowered. Many things won't go full speed with that CPU at that clock speed.

Remember the key. For PCSX2, it needs the more pure speed out of two cores as possible. That's it. Frame rate goes up almost linearly with clock speed (hence why low clock speeds aren't ideal), so in other words, you get results greater than you would from a standard PC game when you overclock for PCSX2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, this board hates overclocking but I can see what kinda results I can get. I have a ghetto asus board that doesnt allow specific voltage adjustments so its hard to get stable with a phenom. But thanks much for the advice, I appreciate it. Its nice to know I can still use my ps2 games =D

I feel like I shouldnt say this because you probably know but the phenom is a quad core...will that effect anything? I thought I saw somewhere that pcsx2 doesnt work with quads or something.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I'm aware it's a quad core, but PCSX itself doesn't utilize any more that two cores, so as I said, the most speed from two cores is the most important key. Clock speed is more important than two versus four cores in this program (to show you how important, my CPU at it's clock speed can just about pull off Final Fantasy X in single core mode*, so you can see the clock speed scaling very well here).

If I remember right, the Phenom (Phenom I, not the Phenom II, as the latter is quite better) is slower clock for clock than surely the Core 2 (both Conroe, let alone Wolfdale), and maybe even than the older Athlon X2. Id you want to judge IPC, let PCSX2 be a good judge. Even a Core 2 at 2.3GHz is considered a bit too slow, but it will surely suffice. The only way to find out is to try and see, and ask any questions about issues, plug-ins, configurations, and speed in a thread.

*I played the first few minutes until Sin swallows Tidus and Auron, which is relatively easy I'd imagine compared to the latter game, and besides the Demi spell slowing to ~40-some FPS, I can't recall anything noticeable. I'll have to try it again and note the drops with a graph.

That actually sparks some interest. I wonder if one core at one speed is faster than two cores each at half the speed (equaling theoretically the same total computational power). I'd wager PCSX2 doesn't use both cores and threads equally, meaning one core may be faster. We only use two cores since threading it to two helped increase speed because that's how CPUs are growing now, and the gains were worth it (going to four would see far less profit for far more effort, according to the team). I should test this... is clock speed king in PCSX2?

Okay, now you got me thinking and I'm rambling.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
It's time to come out of your cave and see it with your own eyes... Or just visit youtube and type in pcsx2 for the main keyword along with other words. You should also visit the Video thread in the sticky first if i were you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Will do, and so commences the digging out of ancient history =D Thanks alot for the stunning info, and hey, worst case is I go pick up my old 6400+ again, but Ill give my phenom a whirl and see what I can come up with. Thanks again guys!!!

Btw zed...how on earth did you get 4.5 ghz out of a core2 0.0 Thats amazing!

Ok Im looking into PCSX2...wow its confusing. Can I dump my bios from a broken ps2? Are there precopied bios somewhere provided by the pcsx team? Ow my head lol

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Many of the 45nm Core 2 Duos (the E8x00s, specifically), go to 4GHz and beyond. It's nothing new. With exotic cooling and high voltage levels, they could go even further (ala, benchmarkers, who've taken Core 2s to at least 6GHz or 7GHz and more).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.