Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! I posted a few threads a while back and have helped out some people since the (returning the favor), however, i need some help yet again. Whats up with the PCI slot irq prority settings in the BIOS? Can changing these setting give me an improovement in my PCI video card? I was just wondering, since ive always seen it, but never knew what it was for.... Also, can I have 2 PCI cards installed on my pc at the same time? I have an intel 810e mobo, with a pII750 and a Inno3D tnt2 PCI 32mb (its also reeeeallly overclocked, about 50%...) Tnx in advance;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
since win98 se was released its possible now to put 2 vga cards on one pc (dual display)
and the settings of the pci in the bios settings may improve the
performance of your vga card a bit but no thing is guaranteed
so you have to try but always remember what was the last move you made so you can go back if you need to .
see ya

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Can changing these setting give me an improovement in my PCI video card?
iirc lower irq's have higher priority, i.e. 1 has a higher priority than 3, does this affect performance? yes it could, because remember: When multiple devices are in contention to interrupt the CPU, their priority decides which interrupts will occur in what order, this is what the irq priority settings in the bios is all about.

But also remember, the problem is more perceptible with communication peripherals and it only becomes a problem on a system with heavy pheripheral usage.. AFAIK, but i could always be wrong.. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx! ill keep all this stuff in mind, basically, If I set the irqs lower, the card will have priority in my cpu, right?

·
5,568 Posts
well yes, something like that.. but also remember than os's like windows can mess around with the irq table as well as the bios. Also note, using lower irq's for peripherals doesn't really translate to an improved pheripheral performance in most desktop systems, since normally, there shouldn't be much contention going on.. afaik.. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeahm i got it....... well thnx for your help, youve been real nice. I guess ill just have to cope mith crappy performance anyway. damn 810 mobos!

·
5,568 Posts
well, you'll get an upgrade sooner or later, so .. that'l be you're chance to redeem your system .. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts