Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding whether a message is allowed to be posted, and I wanted to confirm before posting whether it is acceptible or not.

I am in the process of ripping my old playstation games (using Alcohol 120%) and I encountered two CDs that would not rip. One freezes at 2%, the other at 9% even on multiple machines at the minimum read speed. One game is a Squaresoft game and the other is an Enix game, but contacting Square-Enix I find that they will only replace games purchased within 90 days. I have thoroughly cleaned the disks and they still will not read. My only conclusion is that they are damaged beyond the ability to be read.

My question is this: Is is allowable for me to make a request for an CCD of these two games on this board? I have the games here, and with a digital camera I could certainly provide any documentation to prove that I own them (including pictures of the disks, along with say a post-it note showing the current date or any other method that would appropriately demonstrate ownership and/or purchase details including the location and method of purchase).

I wanted confirmation before I posted a request to make sure I wasn't going astray here. I am not in favor of piracy (working in the software industry, although not in the actual technical side, it is sort of a requirement that I be against piracy), and while I hear that I could get these from BitTorrent or other similar places, I wouldn't know where to begin with these things since I have never used them (and, on the same subject, does BitTorrent and the like have legitimate uses? I have never been told).

Anyhow, please let me know of any legal and legitimate method I could use. If someone knows the proper method for working through Square-Enix (although they did not seem helpful to me), that would be fine. If it would be appropriate to place a request here on this board, that would be appreciated as well. I understand that there is a standing rule not to post ISO requests (which is why I posted for confirmation before posting the request). I believe that the purpose is to avoid piracy, but I wasn't certain if this was an appropriate exception.

That being said, if none of this is allowable, I understand and apologize for taking up posting space. Please let me know either way.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
hmm, i think this would've been better in site feedback & questions or if you just PMed an admin. but hey you have 1 post so how would ya know :p

anyway, i wish i could say yes, you can get one, but, i cant. it's illegal, and emuforums doesnt support that. it's sad, but you bought the rights to that one game, not every game in the universe.

i understand your predicament, and i know that you own the game, but it's still illegal, sorry man.

on a side note, i'd recommend not to defy me/us and go download the games with BT or somewhere, even if it were legal i still wouldnt recommend it as those rips are crap, they are poorly ripped/have glitches/etc.

does BitTorrent and the like have legitimate uses?
yeah, definitely. i've used BT to distribute my own files (notably, my 500mb RAR of japan trip pics on this board), it's used to distribute unlicensed anime (www.animesuki.com), the PCSX2 team uses it a lot to distribute files (like demo movies), i know you can get 3dmark, FFDshow, etc on BT, and plenty of other things.

anyway, i'd suggest buying the games, if you can. and be sure to take extra good care of em ;) if you cant buy em again, i think you can play em in the PS1, in my experience it isnt picky.

·
Registered
654 Posts
First of all, don't waste your time with torrents - by many accounts, those who ripped the games set their image-making programs to ignore errors, so the resulting images are defective. They are, in fact, a source of common requests for help here despite the rules because they crash or freeze at certain game points.

Second, the BitTorrent protocol does indeed have substantial non-infringing uses (as the lawyers would put it). It's how Blizzard distributes Warcraft updates. It's the distribution method of choice for amateur Internet video (such as the Red vs. Blue machinima series). It's the distribution method of choice for Linux distributions.

Thirdly, while I personally would not have a problem with it - to me it seems legally equivalent to having a backup, which is both fair use and explicitly allowed under the DMCA - I wouldn't want to speak for the site owners.

Fourth, many Square-Enix PS1 titles are still being pressed and can be had new for reasonable sums. Which titles are you having problems with?

Last, did you make sure to set the retry count as high as it would go? (16)

Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hushypushy and dbhankins, thanks for the quick replies.

First, to hushypushy, sorry to have posted this in the wrong place. I also appreciate the advice regarding Bit Torrent, and the information (you would think I would know about it by now, considering how many people around me use it).

Seond, to dbhankins, two quick points. Now that I know I am not posting a ISO request, I guess I can tell you that the games are Brave Fencer Musashi and Star Ocean - Second Story disk 2. I found a link to Brave Fencer Musashi on the website but couldn't find how to order it. I could see nothing about SO-II. If you know where they could be purchased, I would appreciate it (it seems wrong to purchase a game twice, but what are you going to do?) I found both on eBay, and BFM seems reasonably priced but SO-II is still quite expensive.

Also, you said to set retry count to maximum. I did that, but the problem remained. Any other ideas on ways to maybe sneak a good rip out of Alcohol? Or are there other, better products for getting info from damaged disks? If I am going to have to spend money, I would rather spend it for better ripping software than for games I already own.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't know of a program that's better at reading disks than Alcohol. If Alcohol can't read it, it's probably damaged or rotted beyond reading. If the data layer has been scratched or compromised, the disk is done.

I've only had one PS1 disk that Alcohol just couldn't read, and that was one with bottom-side scratches. Once I resurfaced the disk, Alcohol could read it just fine. I've only ever gotten one disk that had top-side scratches, and that was before I started using emulation. Fortunately, I was able to find a replacement for $5 USD.

I have gotten a few disks with some disk rot that wouldn't play in my Playstation, and even one with an adhesive label stuck to the top side, but none that were so far gone that Alcohol couldn't read them (with lots of retries and slowing down).

The best advice I can give you is to:
  • Check the disks for top-side scratches (hold up to a bright light and see if light shines through scratches or pinholes). If you find these don't waste your time trying to image the disks; they're done for.
  • Check for bottom-side scratches. If you find these and they're not too deep try resurfacing the disk with a GameDoctor (or DVD Doctor etc they're all the same product). If you resurface with a GameDoctor follow the directions precisely - incorrect usage can damage the disk further.
  • If the disks are unscratched, it's probably disk rot to the point where the disks are unsalvageable.

Musashi is going to run you around $15 (price from Amazon), but the best price for immediate purchase I was able to find for SO-II after checking Amazon, eBay and Froogle was $30. There were lower prices on eBay, but that was on auctions that still have several days to run. I would go with Amazon before eBay; you have more recourse in the event of bad merchandise.

Dan

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
If you want the disks repaired there are places you could send them, but it'll cost you some money, I think they have a money back guaranteee if they can't fix your CD's.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
dbhankins said:
Thirdly, while I personally would not have a problem with it - to me it seems legally equivalent to having a backup, which is both fair use and explicitly allowed under the DMCA - I wouldn't want to speak for the site owners.
the DMCA covers those backups for your own self, i.e. you arent allowed to go make backups for all your friends. (just to clarify)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Toothpaste method is an ABSOLUTE last resort as it WILL cause permanant damage to the disc, but may make it readable for a little while anyway. Be careful using oil also because of the lense in your drive. You may want to clean the lense using a specially designed cleaning kit if you plan to do that.
Using toothpaste on a CD is about the same thing as sticking a bad hard drive in a freezer...it will probably boot once more, and then never again. Make your ISO while you have the chance...

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
My dad has some music CDs that my brother did the toothpaste trick on about 5 years ago and they're still working flawlessly. What about the toothpaste would kill the CD? The scouring effect from the toothpaste shouldn't affect it that much.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try the toothpaste trick on an AOL CD three or four times and see if it still works...it thins the layer of plastic which affects the angle at which the laser hits the reading surface. In a good CD drive i guess it just adjusts the laser-to-surface geometry to compensate and everything still works fine, but in a crappy drive it would start reading (or try to read) "between" the data. It happens, perhaps not as often as I thought though.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
pretty much. that's what all CD repairers do anyway. whether you're using game doctor, toothpaste, or some other abrasive, you're polishing down the plastic which means you're taking some off.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
yeah, you made it seem like toothpaste is HORRIBLE and that no one should ever try it. if your CD is dead and you're cheap, polishing it with toothpaste is just fine, you just gotta make sure you do it right.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
dbhankins said:
The best advice I can give you is to:
  • Check the disks for top-side scratches (hold up to a bright light and see if light shines through scratches or pinholes). If you find these don't waste your time trying to image the disks; they're done for.

Dan
my street fighter ex2plus game has a damaged top side (abouta centimetre of a thin 1mm scratch on the topside) and light shines thru it yet it works perfect... :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.