Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, after being bored again and checking out the differences from the GeForce2 TI (which is what I'm getting in my new computer) and the rest of the GeForce2's, I found out about one common and devastating bottleneck: memory clock speed. Now, I dont know how common overclocking itself is in these forums, and I'm really too scared to mess with stuff (that isnt automatic) on my computer anymore, especially something that has a chance of not being able to fix. I have a couple questions.. (all about my current system, not the new one with the geforce2)

1. Is overclocking a CPU and overclocking a GPU different things? Like, I know how overclocking a CPU requires exact numbers, you cant set your FSB at 108.2mhz. But is it the same thing for Video cards? I downloaded Powerstrip yesterday and ran it, didnt mess with anything, but looked at the overclocking section. It can change core/memory clock speeds by increments of 1mhz. For Video cards, is it ok to have strange clock speeds like 108mhz?

2. What are the chances that if something does go wrong, that I can get back in safe mode or something and fix it? My biggest worry is that i'll permanently damage the Video card and/or other parts of my computer.

3. I found a page that demonstrated and gave a chart that showed the different FPS my video card could get at different memory clock speeds. (http://www.coolcomputing.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=11) It claims that my card (the Xpert 98, first card they tested) is the easiest to overclock and most stable upto 110mhz. Should I trust them with this information.. and does this really make sense?

Also any other comments or suggestions are welcome, since it seems I'm going to have this problem with the slow memory clock of the GeForce2 TI I'll be getting shortly. How overclockable are nVidia's cards, and should I?

By the way, my video card is an 8mb ATI Rage Pro (Xpert 98 as it says on the box it came in) and on powerstrip it has the core clock speed at 75mhz, and the memory at 100mhz.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Hmmm

Overclocking GPU's is similar to CPU's....we don't really recommend it because it is like putting the lifespan of your GPU in fast foward (Unless you have the funds to easily replace it, but for that buy a faster card)

You could get better performance for some PC FPS's...In terms of emulation though...PSX especially can cause complications or just cause game and sound to play out of sync....

·
Registered
900 Posts
if you take proper care of your stuff overclocking really doesnt hurt it. big azz heatsinks, loud fans, and watercooling for extreme nuts. thats what its all about.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
There shouldn't be that big of a risk when overclocking videocards. Overclocking CPUs has a much higher risk factor. Just go 10 Mhz increments at a time and thoroughly test its stability with each increment. Run an extremely graphically intense 3D accelerated game like Quake 3 at a very high resolution and play it for half an hour or so and see if there are any graphical glitches (irregular textures, white dots;"snow" effect). If not then bump up the speed a bit more. The goal is to achieve the fastest speed setting without any graphical errors. I have a GeForce 2 Pro with its memory overclocked to 430(400 + 30) and everything runs just fine. If you're worried about stability then consider getting a better heatsknk/fan or another cooling solution.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I was getting at, if overclocking your Video card made a difference in any other programs. Like, overclocking a CPU effects many other parts of the computer (memory etc), but does overclocking a video card have any other effects besides possibly the monitor?

Also about your GeForce2 Pro, the GF2 Ti I'll be getting will be similar to yours, especially in terms of the memory clock bandwidth. Do you use any cooling procedures with your video card? The computer will be in our basement, which has no windows and is completely underground, which makes the basement about 5-10 degrees cooler than any part of the 1st floor. The room THIS computer is in is about the warmest room (doesnt matter now since its winter).. and this computer, being 3 years old, hasnt had to replace any parts because of failure. So I dont think heat will be an issue unless the newer hardware generates a significant amount of heat. Overclocking this ATI wasnt my goal, it was just going to be a trial and error thing so I dont screw up the GeForce2 Ti.

My main worry is incompatibilites with other hardware. I dont really have ANY 3D games on this computer other than the playstation ones. I just need to know if my video card will survive and not burst into flames on me.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think really the only piece of hardware that has serious heat problems is an AMD processor. Other than that, just about everything can be safely overclocked IF there's sufficient cooling. If you're serious about OCing your GF2 Ti, buy a heat sink, a fan, some thermal compound, and put 'em on the card. I'm sure there's a guide to cooling your card at Tom's Hardware Guide.

Also, if you're only playing PSX games on your PC, OCing isn't really necessary since you're working at a set FPS, and a GeForce 2 Ti should be able to handle it fine. But your choice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm.. there seems to be some kind of error when uploading pictures right now.. anyway, CPU temp right now is 108.5F (42.5C). Dont know if that's good or not, but as I said, the new computer would be in a 5-10F colder environment, albeit less air circulation.

EDIT: 15 mins later, its down to 101.3F (38.5C), which as I'm looking around at O/C sites, is pretty good for CPU's with a heatsink, and my tower is 5 years old and stuck up against a wall with the heater vent about 10 inches away. Heat isnt a problem with me.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Overclocking videocards won't really affect any other part of your system. It'll just add more frames to 3D accelerated games. Still, if you're getting well over 60 fps at your desired resolution and color depth then overclocking isn't necessary (although it might be for FSAA). Just make sure you test the new setting thoroughly with either Quake 3, Aquanox, Max Payne, Return to Castle Wolfenstein or any other graphically intensive game (you can download the demos off the web). If you can run any one of those games for more than 10 minutes without any graphical glitches then you're fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts