Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me how i can set up a lil network with my cable modem? I have 3com HomeConnect Model No. 3cr29220. Do I need to get a router and a hub in order to set up a LAN with this type of modem?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does you’re cable modem using a network card?

If yes, you can either install another network card and use a hub or get a router where you would connect you’re cable modem into the WAN connecter and connect you computer in the LAN connecters.

IMO you should get a router. I’m currently using a DLink DI-704 with my DSL modem. I just enable DHCP in the router and both of my computers have access to the net instantly. I can also play games thru LAN.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
Most cable internet services allow multiple IPs in which case you can just plug the cable modem into a hub along with the computers you want connected. Each computer is assigned their own IP. They might charge extra for each connection you request though and you can have a maximum of 3 IPs per cable modem. Contact your cable modem company for more info on that. Otherwise you can get a secondary NIC and use internet connection sharing or a third party internet sharing software like Sygate or Wingate to share the connection. You can also get a router which work well with most internet connections but they're rather pricey.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well let’s take a closer look at the 2 Options here

First Option:

1 network card
1 network Hub
1 Internet sharing Software

-You’ll need to add that new network card in you’re pc, which will take some resources.

-You’ll need a hub. A good hub to get, would be a 10/100Mbs. You don’t want to share files at 10mbs. It’s quite a pain.

-You’ll need to have an Internet Sharing Software or use Microsoft ICS.

Now the disadvantage with this kind of setup is, that one computer will act has a server.

Second Option:

1 router

-You’ll need to connect each pc in the router and connect you’re modem to the wan connecter in the router. Then you’ll launch the web-base interface to setup the dhcp and within a few minutes, you’ll have a LAN that can access the net.

Now the disadvantage is you’ll need to open some ports if ya want to create an FTP or start a Game server for the internet. Those are only 2 examples. But nothing really complicated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts