Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a dual motherboard.. which kind i am not sure... is it worth it than getting a single cpu motherboard?
I heard it is a hassle dealing with the right kind of processors and ops and what nots..
please help me out here :D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I could be completely wrong on this, but I think that there are only certain programs that can take advantage of dual processors. And games are even more rare. A friend told me that Quake 3 was supposed to take advantage of dual processors, but didn't.

·
Registered
345 Posts
yeah only certain programs (mostly high end CAD programs) utilize dual proccessoers.

it would be more cost effective to get a fast single prosseccor than two slower dual prosseccors

you would also see a larger increase in performance because of the lack of support for duals

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok... so i guess its better to get a single processor board?i was gonna use the motherboard i'm using on a diff computer.
is it ok if i only have 1 cpu installed on the mother board instead of 2? this gives me room for upgrades when the time is right.. would it work or no?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Huh?
Do you mean to put a single processor on a dual motherboard?
It would be better to just get a regular single chip motherboard.

Different motherboards are designed to take different ranges of processors. For example a motherboard may only be able to run a P3 and not a P2 or P4. (actually maybe that's all motherboards)
I'm not an expert on this, but maybe that helps you some.

·
Registered
345 Posts
well, as far as i know P4's cannot be in dual proccessor systems because of how they access the memory. i could be wrong because i read that when i was doing a repot on RAM for a computer class. also, i dont think there are any mother boards that use AMD's in them
i would actually talk with a "real" person on this subject

·
playing FGO
10,134 Posts
most apps dont take full advantage of dual processing power. so it'd be wiser to go for more RAM if you're looking for speed. You can also overclock chips, but as you know there ARE risks in doing that. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts