Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the owner of a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint drive, HD103UJ if I'm not mistaken. It has been bothering me for a while that this drive has a rather loud humming noise, sounding a bit as follows:

"zzzzzzzzzZZZZZOOOOOOMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...zzzzzzzzzZZZZZOOOOOOMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...zzzzzzzzzZZZZZOOOOOOMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm"

You get the idea, it's a hum that comes as if in waves. It is clearly audible in an entire bedroom for example, even during movies in silent passages. Just music and gaming drowns it out.

I was wondering if I'm the only one with this problem, or if it is something typical for the entire series. I'm considering two options:
1. RMA (and perhaps getting a WD Caviar Black instead)
2. Getting a new drive and putting this one in an external case that hopefully drows it out due to less resonance with the rest of the PC

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Sounds like the its possible the spinning platters or something is coming loose inside the drive and causing vibration and noise.

Better recover all your data while you still can.

I've had internal hdds that i've dropped and they start giving off odd sounds.

But also keep in mind that this drive is named after Formula One (F1) so its probably a hightech feature to help recreate the racing experience of driving a Formula One race vehicle. Hence why Samor has 13 of these sexy babies in his computer.

VROOOOOOOOOM

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the its possible the spinning platters or something is coming loose inside the drive and causing vibration and noise.

Better recover all your data while you still can.

I've had internal hdds that i've dropped and they start giving off odd sounds.
Well I'd need a new HDD for that anyway, seeing how it's my biggest drive anyway and my GF is well on her way filling up my old 320GB one after she discovered there's many nice things to find on the interwebs :p

But also keep in mind that this drive is named after Formula One (F1) so its probably a hightech feature to help recreate the racing experience of driving a Formula One race vehicle. Hence why Samor has 13 of these sexy babies in his computer.

VROOOOOOOOOM
Either that or mine refers to "Fooked 1" :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.