Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering what programing languages I should start learning if I want to be able to start coding a similar project. Yes I do know that it takes a while to learn but I have time so what do you guys suggest I know before tackeling such a feat? C++?

· Registered
42 Posts
C++ is what this is coded in. If you wanna learn, go to www.gamedev.net, they have some good tuts, and there is also www.3dbuzz.com, their C++ video tutorials aren't free, but they have great forums, and some great links in there to other tutorial sites. Don't think you're going to learn C++ quickly, I've tried, it's hard. Don't mistake that comment though as if I was trying to shoot you down, I'm just saying to take it slow, I know, that's the last thing you wanna hear, but it's true. But the best thing to remember is, have fun! Coding is not good to do if you don't enjoy it! I hope I helped.

Thanks
Sincerely
Flap Jack

· Registered
1,056 Posts
you know we always like seeing people that are willing to try to help but here is the problem. Just becuase you know how to code doesnt meen you know how to code a emulator. Emulation is hard. Very hard. It takes knowing the system your emulating and knowing the system your emulating on and when I say knowing I meen everything about the system down to how maybe times it flushes the vram per cpu cycle, So writing a emulator isnt just about learning how to code but away to thinking and learning everything about the system in question.

· Registered
839 Posts
C and C++ are two very distinct programming languages, with the same basic subset of syntax. However, C++ extends the C programming langauge in order to allow object-oriented programming. I would personally recommend C++ as if you learn C++ you'll be learning C and C++ at the same time - killing two birds with one stone :thumb:. Another advantage to learning C++ is that you will probably be able to understand more modern APIs written in the language - such as DirectX, WTL and win32gui - which is an advantage learning just C doesn't give you. A great book on C++, which I personally learned a lot from is Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel. Check it out, and good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.