Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What hardware is Software GPU dependant on?? Is it just the CPU and not the video card?? I just felt like tryin software GPU today but big effects like spells from FF9 cause big time slow downs.....
Basically is it because Software GPU has a habit of ignoring 3d acceleraters and only relying on the CPU?? your reply would be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
A software GPU by definition, runs purely in software, so does not use any 3d accelerator functions in the host machine.
Everything is done by the CPU. The only thing that is dependant on the video card is the final blt of the rendered image.
The slowdown is probably caused by heavy blending, which is more costly on a software rendered than using a 3d hardware (where blending is normally "free").
It's worth noting that Pete's SoftGPU is not optimised (he would quite happily admit this, I think, eh Pete? ;) ), but it is highly compatible.
If you can write fast tri-fill routines for 4bit/8bit/16bit texturing, with optional alphablending at 4 different rates, then PLEASE write a nicely optimised SoftGPU ;) And then give me the routines to add to my hardware GPU for off-screen drawing! ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts