Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my system specs are:

DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
4 GB ram, etc.

Would I actually get better performance upgrading vista to windows 7 or should I just wait until its released and worked on a little bit?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I could get ahold of it, just my question I guess is it worth doing now, or smarter to wait?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
It's more of a question of preference. Vista + SP2 is a lot better over Vista + SP1 as far as I'm concerned, but Windows 7 still "feels" snappier and more responsive.

I'm going Windows 7 all the way. (As evidenced in my sig)

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
it would be nothing more that 1-4 fps more, if any. you would get like 10-30 fps if you overclocked to 4ghz

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was thinking about overclocking, any guide or any advice on how to go about learning to do that? Kind of new to this stuff in anyone can help me or if you need any more info on my setup i can get it.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
I have an almost identical system to you. Granted, I have an E8600 now, and 8GB of RAM, I started with the "E8400, 4GB, 8800GT" setup, and the basis will be the same. With that setup, I got a 4.05GHz 24/7 setup relatively easy. The E8600 is the same as the E8400, just with a +1 for the multiplier, and the extra RAM changes nothing outside actually limiting my overclock (which is why it runs at 4GHz when there's 8GB of RAM instead of 4.5GHz).

If you want to overclock (and unlike with PC games, your PCSX2 frame rate will go up about linearly with clock speed), I suggest starting a new thread in the Hardware forum for it, and have this stuff ready.

1. Understand that there are risks. While it's mostly safe, you do have to understand how to do more than follow a guide to be truly good (and safe) with it, and there are risks. Also, there are no guarantees of results (although in that CPUs case, I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it to 4GHz, but this also depends on the motherboard).

2. List your motherboard.

3. List your temperatures when idle and preferably when under load.

4. List your cooling (stock, or aftermarket, and if the latter, which one).

5. If possible, with that specific CPU, try and find out if it's the older C0 stepping, or the newer E0 stepping.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's more of a question of preference. Vista + SP2 is a lot better over Vista + SP1 as far as I'm concerned, but Windows 7 still "feels" snappier and more responsive.

I'm going Windows 7 all the way. (As evidenced in my sig)
Actually every test SP1 vs SP2 shows a drop in FPS for gaming. Nothing major but a drop none the less.

Windows 7 is a better way to go...so far user based tests show a 10% or higher performance jump in a big list of games. Some games only have 1% but it still more and sometimes 1-2 FPS can make a difference ^-^

·
Resident Rabble Rouser
174 Posts
Windows 7 is much faster than Vista, but if you really want performance, Windows XP is still total dominant king. Further, if you really want to up your juice, I would look for a torrent of MicroXP by eXPerience. Faster than stock XP, faster than 7, faster than Vista by light years.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
It's slightly faster than Vista but also consumes more memory. That's the general consensus of Windows 7 I think.

crhylove :

It's somewhat in a very gray area, as most MicroXP's have their own CD-Keys. I would suggest just using nLite, which is a software application which can strip Windows XP components you it would install less stuff in Windows XP, making it faster.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
No it doesn't. Windows 7 consumes less then Vista, it also makes use of it more efficiently.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may use Windows 7. It's far better than Vista. I feel I have a light body than when I used Vista sp2 a few days ago.
Go for Windows 7. It's great. The process explorer is just very little than that in Vista.

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tryed all 3 OS!! My fps in vista x64 were very very low and with it, doing nothing my cpu was always at 15-20 % and ram at 30%!!oO after the loading of SMS i get 14 fps!! Then i tryed windows 7 RTM x64 and work very well, doing nothing my cpu was at 2-3% and ram at 20% and fps in SMS grow to 18!! then I tryed XP 64 bit and cpu 0% and ram 11% and fps grow to 23!!!:) Now i've a dual boot 7 x64-xp 64 but xp is the best of all!!;)

·
Sir
51 Posts
Actually every test SP1 vs SP2 shows a drop in FPS for gaming. Nothing major but a drop none the less.

Windows 7 is a better way to go...so far user based tests show a 10% or higher performance jump in a big list of games. Some games only have 1% but it still more and sometimes 1-2 FPS can make a difference ^-^
I wouldnt trust tests just like that. I made my own tests and Vista x64 SP2 has the same performance, if not slightly better and more stable, than 7 in games.

Sometimes they take tests like that comparing Windows 7 RTM to Vista RTM (OLD, lol!). It just doesnt make any sense. I suggest you guys wait a bit till upgrading to 7 if you are already happy on Vista SP2. It wont matter as far as PCSX2 is concerned right now.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
stop stucking teh.......

Windows 7 is faster then SP2 in all my gaming benches.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Windows 7 is faster period on the i7, since it has a bunch of thread stalling crap removed which tied vista down.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
GTA4
Crysis

PCSX2, and Desmume also show uubstantial increases on Win7.

·
Sir
51 Posts
Weird... I couldnt reproduce those results here. GTA IV, Crysis 1.2.1 and Crysis Warhead 1.1 were actually slower on Windows 7 for me :(

Then again, ASUS support (I have a ASUS P6T mobo) is ****ed up at this moment for Windows 7. I couldnt get Intel Matrix Storage thingy to work correctly, so no RAID-0 on Windows 7 for me. :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.