Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, the development of Dolphin has been coming along quite nicely. I have to ask, once Dolphin is in its prime stages, what kind of system specs do you think will be required to run games smoothly (specifically wind waker or twilight princess)?

Right now you need a really fast CPU because it isn't quite there yet. I was asking because I was going to be buying one of the 2.4ghz aluminum macbooks (2gb of ram, 9400m nvidia graphics, and core 2 duo processor), and I know it wouldn't run it like a champ at this moment, but the emulation is getting better each day and I was wondering what the experts have to say about how those specs might hold up at the end of the day.

The OSX version isn't really an issue of mine, since all of my gaming will probably be done on the windows partition.

And since this laptop can run brand new PC games with little to no trouble (exception of Crysis ZOMG!), I kind of had high hopes for the future of this emulator, but won't be crushed if I turn out needing higher specs. Thanks.

EDIT: What does Dolphin WX mean?

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's cool man thanks for the quick reply. If that's the case for you, I feel a little better because the speed gets better with each consecutive build thus far (what's your average fps?). By the end it might be close, but we may get some playable speeds out of dolphin. If that's how it turns out then I will be satisfied.

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks for the tip. how does everyone feel about installing 64-bit windows for dolphin as opposed to 32-bit? I've searched around, but I'd like to know if either of you or anyone else can give me a straight, honest answer

·
Locked and Loaded.
191 Posts
You gotta remember that that the 6th generation of consoles will not be easily emulated as the past generations, there is a lot more code and video processing. That said, even when the day comes that Dolphin is optimized and perfected the hell out of... it's still gonna require at least a 3.0+ Ghz (Single Core) or 2.4+ Ghz (Multi-Core) processors on top of a decent, non-intel, video card. Also, at least 2 GB RAM.

When all said and done, Dolphin takes a hell of a lot of power to run, but it'll all be worth it once everyone in the future will have at least Dual-Core-2GB-RAM-NVidia-8800-GTX-Super-Machines... at minimum.

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
what you described would be fine for me. I know you're just ballparking, but if you have confidence in the information you provided then I'm satisfied. I realize it might not be AMAZING, but 2.4ghz with dual-core, nvidia 9400m and 2gb of ram is what I will have (while running the 64-bit edition on a vista64 bootcamp partition). I know dual-core is not "multi" core necessarily (I will be able to enable dual core mode), but if I can at least achieve reasonable gaming I will be happy. Having dolphin work good is just a bonus for me.

Edit: this guy can get reasonable speeds as of September 10, 2008 with a similar machine and older revision, plus I hear the cpu matters a little more than the gpu. Here's his info:

"Running on my Notebook (2,4 GHZ Core 2 Duo Mobile, 2 Gigs of RAM, Geforce 9500 M GS @ 512 MB RAM + 700 Shared + DX9 Video Plugin, Dual Core Mode, about 20-30 FPS all the time."

Video: YouTube - Dolphin SVN R 490

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info MisterMr. This is why I have hopes for smooth games in the future. how does everyone feel about installing 64-bit windows for dolphin as opposed to 32-bit? I heard that alone can squeeze out a couple more frames.

·
Locked and Loaded.
191 Posts
Thanks for the info MisterMr. This is why I have hopes for smooth games in the future. how does everyone feel about installing 64-bit windows for dolphin as opposed to 32-bit? I heard that alone can squeeze out a couple more frames.
Glad to help!

64-bit operating systems are superior as they can use up to 128GB of RAM and they can bit shift with much more speed. Simply put, yes you get a small speed increase.

Also, my computer is almost 4 years old and it's still chugging along quite nicely, you can see my specs on my profile.

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Another example of decent speed as of September 28, 2008 in revision 704 in 32-bit:

FPS around 20~35 in 1024x768, Using Plugin OpenGL.

Playing on
VGA: XFX 8800GT 512MB
CPU: Core2Duo 2.2ghz
RAM: 2GB DDR2

Video: YouTube - Zelda Wind Waker - Playing on Dolphin Emu Rev704

I realize I'm favouring zelda games, but that's only because those are the ones I'm most concerned with. Feel free to post videos of other games running decently thus far that you are interested in.

So, my point is that thus far the emulator is extremely promising and has made great progress. By the time it's in it's prime I think it's feasible that you won't need a monster machine to run games nicely.

Glad to help!

64-bit operating systems are superior as they can use up to 128GB of RAM and they can bit shift with much more speed. Simply put, yes you get a small speed increase.

Also, my computer is almost 4 years old and it's still chugging along quite nicely, you can see my specs on my profile.
Do you receive any benefit even if your computer only has say... 2gb of RAM? obviously you aren't tapping the potential, but I'm always open to potential upgrades and wonder if it will be worth it with only 2gb.

Edit: Sounds like it's about pointless unless you have at least 4gb. So should I drop the extra bucks or wait out the storm to see how the chips fall :p. I'll think it out.

Can anyone confirm my x64 reasoning at the end of my last post?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wind Waker isn't difficult to run quickly, any dual core CPU will do the trick. I had a 7300GS and 1.8ghz core duo and it was fine. Twilight Princess is more difficult - even clocked at 3.07, it sometimes struggles quite severely with the speed. It's just the state of development right now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have problems with starting dolphin on an old pC
PC:Amd Xp 2,2GHz 2200
758MB DDR PC 800 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 4 MX TI 5200
it say dolphin has a problem and must shutdown
Ps:i have already vc and dx installed, but notheing happens
reinstall my windows xp isnt very good too

·
Locked and Loaded.
191 Posts
Justincase, it looks like you have two problems there...

1. You don't have 1 GB of RAM.
2. Your video card is way out of date.

Hardware is the only problem here if you've updated all the Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs) and Runtimes.

·
Nintendo Lover
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
MisterMr's right. I'm not sure if I'd recommend upgrading or saving for a new machine, but that all depends on your budget. upgrading is probably more realistic since your processor is actually okay. Maybe spring for 2gb of ram and a graphics chip that suits your needs. I don't know whether you prefer ATI or nvidia, but here's a link to nvidia's site to at least get you started and show you what to expect from each choice: Graphics Cards Buy Now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts