Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing that spybot search and destroy is one of the best free anti-spyware apps, from people on these forums and reviews at download.com .

My question is that i've downloaded spybot search and destroy, and everything was fine at first I scanned with my other antispyware apps to be safe, then as soon as I get finished scanning with spybot, my I rescan with my defender pro antispy, and now I have 100+ spyware apps on my computer, all created by spybot, and the spyware spybot searches for, such as an xxx dialer, none of that was on my pc before I downloaded spybot, is this program safe? I definately don't want dialer trojans on my pc, especially with dial-up. anyone or anyone that's had this happen, Please let me know if this program is safe. I really don't want that junk on my pc, Thanks a bunch;)

[Edit] I accidentally posted in the wrong section, would one of you mods be kind enough to move it to the proper section, thank you.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Well, let's see. If you downloaded spybot off the internet as your post suggests, perhaps you got a version someone purposefull loaded with spyware and viruses? :p Actually though, I'm guessing the cause is that the other programs are reading spybot's signature files and detecting them as spyware. Spybot knows better, since it is the one that created those files in the first place.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
You don't like teh pr0n dialers? :p

Indeed, I think Zyx is right about this, though I never had that problem when running both AdAware and Spybot, maybe those are compatible?

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
In my experience Spybot hasn't been that useful. Sure it deletes the things, but most adware nowadays regenerates itself when deleted and Spybot doesn't search for that. I'd recommend Security Task Manager which has saved me many-a-time where Spybot has failed.

Also this should be moved to software discussion shouldn't it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Vanit said:
In my experience Spybot hasn't been that useful. Sure it deletes the things, but most adware nowadays regenerates itself when deleted and Spybot doesn't search for that. I'd recommend Security Task Manager which has saved me many-a-time where Spybot has failed.

Also this should be moved to software discussion shouldn't it?
Security task manager + Hijackthis;is the best!

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
If properly used, Spybot is quite good. It sounds like you are not taing advantage of the full features.
Spybot can detect any changs attempted to your registry, and can deny such changes. It also has a good Immunize function. Of course we do recommend pairing it up with another proggie

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
There should be harsher rules against popups. If one walked down the street with a big advertisement sign and shoved it in everyones faces I'm sure one would be arrested.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i use spybot for the immunity, the host file addon, and some of the other advanced tools. It's got a really simple way to determine what internet ports programs are using, for example.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Vanit said:
There should be harsher rules against popups. If one walked down the street with a big advertisement sign and shoved it in everyones faces I'm sure one would be arrested.
With the amount of popups these days I don't even think the cops would bother in the Netherlands, they'd rather take on an easy task such as using their laser gun for cars, or fining innocent ppl having a beer :rolleyes:

@DW: 2 years ago I used Spybot as well, but it failed me at a moment. While I recognize the protection it offers, ever since someone here pointed me towards Spysweeper I am using it. 20 Euro wasn't a big price for me to pay for one of the best antispyware programs out there, I haven't had any problems ever since :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Spybot is te best tool for me in protecting my computer from spyware. Well if you can see from its site, spybot binary is the old one (version 1.4). You need to update it. And also, I suggest you to enable Tea timer because it will help you a lot.

·
Registered
378 Posts
orysyz said:
Spybot is te best tool for me in protecting my computer from spyware. Well if you can see from its site, spybot binary is the old one (version 1.4). You need to update it. And also, I suggest you to enable Tea timer because it will help you a lot.
Where are you getting this so-called "updated" version. I'm running 1.4 .

My personal preference is "tea timer" off, because its caused glitches for me. It may have been fixed.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I think Spybot is good, but I don't put all my confidence on it. I don't feel confident even with its updates. Recently I've discovered that Ad-Aware and M$ Anit-spyware are good progs, and I'm using them now (instead of S&D).

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Being more conservative with teh pr0n, refraction? :)

Seriously though, you'll only find infections when you're doing the following:

1) pr0norizing
2) reading up on 'hacking'
3) looking for illegal software or cracks
4) trying to find decent freeware

And I must admit I've been caught out on all accounts by the virus-fairy.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Vanit said:
Being more conservative with teh pr0n, refraction? :)

Seriously though, you'll only find infections when you're doing the following:

1) pr0norizing
2) reading up on 'hacking'
3) looking for illegal software or cracks
4) trying to find decent freeware

And I must admit I've been caught out on all accounts by the virus-fairy.
Yup, those are teh evil indeed.

And if you use IE don't even think about doing any of those, because it's a suicide mission :p

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
I have Adaware and use it only to get rid of bad cookies that crop up once in a while, which is pretty rare.

Ran Hijackthis a few weeks ago when the WMF exploit hit the fan and also did some digging on my own. Ship's clean as a whistle.

It's all in the usage. :)

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
I don't use Spybot.

Namely because something very bizarre happened after I used it in 2003. All ad-banners and popups i got after using it were under the impression i was a German woman. There's probably a very simple explenation for it... but I'll stick to AdAware, Firefox, and not visiting dodgy websites.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.