Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
about resolution - Anyone?

Here's a question about res
On Final Fantasy, if I run the game at any resolutinon above 320*240, the back images get pixelized but the character stays focused. Do the PSX games really run at 320*240 in the TV? Then why do the look so big? I ussualy use the emulator at 800*600 w/ scanlines, to the the backrounds dont look so pixelized.
Is there anyway to fix this?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
> Do the PSX games really run at 320*240 in the TV? Then why
> do the look so big?

A monitor runs at a higher resolution, and you are also much closer to the monitor than a tv (sit right next to a TV while playing a PSX game and you'll start to notice a LOT more graphical flaws).

As for the "pixelization," I don't really know, because I haven't really seen the need to. Although 32 bit color seems to smooth it out a bit...

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I'm moving this because it technically isn't an ePSXe specific question and applies to several other emulators.

Oh, and on the thread itself, ahem, the PSX does indeed play at 320x240. I don't know why I didn't have that in the first response, but that's the way it goes...

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Back in 1995 or whenever it was released, 320x240 wasn't bad at all. It's just now that case no longer applies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's not ENTIRELY true... I believe that 320x240 is the default res for the PSX, and about 95% of all PSX games run at it. However, there are some that run higher (I believe there are even a couple that run at 640x480, however don't quote me on that). Some have REALLY weird resolutions, also (Tekken3 is like 240x480... No those #s are not backwards, it is a higher vertical resolution than horizontal. STRANGE).

Also, Ryos is right that if you sit as close to a TV as you do a monitor, it does start to look worse. However, TV's are also designed differently than monitors, so do not look quite as bad at lower resolutions. And, one of the design differences is that they use scanlines. This is why a lot of emus include that option, because they help to make the monitor look more like a television screen.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think U re not wrong cuz' of epsxe...
when u put the upper line (of pete s OGL for example)
for cfg all the options, sometimes (I ll put a screenshot later)
it reduces itself (so resolution becomes HIGHER.Correct me if I am wrong)

TRy playing chrono cross w/ pete s soft plugin at 640x480
and go to the "new game/continue" screen.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usualy use Pete's D3d (DX7)
Ive been runing the games at 700*525 (the proportion manitains :) ) and w/ scnalines enabled. The games run GREAT!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
i've read a few news related articles, and thay state that depending on the game your playing the psx resolution can change from 320x240 to up to 800x600

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
800x600? What PSX games run at THAT high of a resolution? And thanks for letting me know not all games run at 320x240. That was news to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FF8 title screen is 640x480 (at least the square logo). some other games have higher resolutions too, but they are not in-game, because psx is too slow. and isn't there a high-res mode in GT? I haven't seen 800x600 though.

S

·
0 Posts
800x600? can a tv even do that?
hm, well, AFAIK menu screens are often in 640x480.

Games that uses higher resolutions are for example Tony Hawks and cps2-ports (like street fighter alpha)

In VGS, all resolutions are displayed in a 640x480 modus....in the case of the 320x240 games, they're just being stretched (doubled in this case (320x2 and 240x2)) so they look the same (yet more pixelated because it's on a monitor and there are no scanlines...and then you havew the nvidia cards that can do the blur-thingy).....in the case of games with a different resolution they're stretched....this often makes it look a lot more pixelated than the ps version.
I've found the ultimate solution for vgs thoug: I play it ona TV using tv-out...this makes the 95% 320x240 games look just as fine as the original psx...

of course, being a pc gamer accustomed to 1024x768, if ePSXe runs the game I prefer that :D

on a side note: vgs is ideal for the 2d games

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The maximum playstation resolution is 640x480 , and there is no power in that grey box to move this! ;).

I only see 640x480 in titles & logos...

The higher resolution i ever see in a game is GT high-resolution mode that is 640x240

byeeee :p

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, HDTV's can do 800x600 (Erm, well, some can... There are different kinds of HDTV, but to keep it simple I'll say some can do 800x600), however I SERIOUSLY doubt that the PSX was designed to make use of HDTV's. In fact, was HDTV even around yet in 1994? And, while TV resolutions are different than monitor resolutions, most PAL televisions are limited to about 640x480 (Snake explained it pretty well on the bleem! boards awhile ago... It's not exactly 640x480, but I don't remember the explanation, so I'm sayingit's close enough. :p). NTSC televisions are limited to a slightly lower res, IIRC.

Also, I KNOW that PSX games are capable of resolutions LOWER than 320x240, also. There are some that were 240x180, and probably some even lower that I'm not remembering. Since the place where SanDRock read that was wrong about the lower bound, I'd be willing to be they're wrong about the upper bound, even if normal TV's WERE capable of going that high...

S

·
0 Posts
No, HD TV was not yet around in 1994, but there were rumors. I've also noticed the difference in the logos and titles. It makes you think that the game is going to look like that, when in reality, it doesn't. What I wonder is, if Sony was able to get the PSX to display the logos and titles in 640x480 resolution, then why not the whole game? You would think that the PSX could handle it, wouldn't you?
sincerely,
sx/amiga

1 - 20 of 34 Posts