Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the majority of you should know....the playstation (One) haves a limited time that the Laser Cannon works, after that it stops and u have to trade it....
What about play 2, does it haves this limitation time ???

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I assume he means the laser in the psx's cd drive. Its very cheap and has a tendency to get misaligned after a while. Thus it can't read disks without being adjusted back. As for the ps2? I don't really know but I assume that this should not be the case (as this problem was fixed in later psx's)

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
Remember all those times we had to put the psx on it's side or upside down just to play psx games.. Sheesh.. I never had any problems like that with Sega systems.. My saturn is still working great like the first day I bought it..

Maybe it's sony's way to make people buy new psx's?

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I'm not complaining. that's how I got my psx anyways (mate got a ps2 when his psx finally quit working. realigned the laser and got it going again)

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
as with all moving parts, the laser assembly will one day wear out.
its only been a year since the ps2 was released and i have yet to hear of many complaints about laser wear. i have heard of some people playing around with the potentiometers to make it stronger/work better but the same can be done on a psx.
all in all, id assume that the design isnt too bad and that you wouldnt hafta worry about it any time soon if you arent abusing your system..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
As for the PS2, I don't know how good of a laser they use, BUT its first shipments were put in rather hastidly, many ppl had to return thier systems after they got them becaus ethe laser was either to far or too close to the CD, as for reliability of systems, my SNES still runs perfectly.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
well the SNES ain't got no moving parts inside....my famicom still works pretty good too...if it weren't for the busted controllers. :p

S

·
0 Posts
I've had several orignal PSX's and also a PSOne w/the screen attached which I took around w/me. I never experienced any problems w/the laser in any of them. I agree w/Bgnome, if you don't abuse it, you shouldn't lose it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Originally posted by Shiori
well the SNES ain't got no moving parts inside....my famicom still works pretty good too...if it weren't for the busted controllers. :p
I still have my old NES, (okay so this was the third one.. but its really old).. my Atari (for some reason its not dead yet), my megadrive (1 and 2).. and the SNES.. (at least it should still be functioning, but my nephew crushed the controller with a vase :( ) my playstation.. its almost totally dead, but it still plays games.. (you have to put something heavy on top of it).. hehe.. so yeah, i guess if you take care of you're consoles.. they will really last long.. unless they get trashed by one of you're relatives.. :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep.....I agree with u....

Originally posted by JuniorCrb
thank emulation it makes everything so easy.....no realining my computer hehehe
Gee.....u r very right.....emulation makes everything easy.... just takes a little time to find the right plugins combination (if u r not using VGS or Bleem likes, of course) and them when u got the perfect match for your PC....its just playtime....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Compatibility is a problem for sure...

You r right....the compatibility is a weak point that all the emulators have....but...well he have to deal with it....

('cause...think well...there are a tons of people that are working hard to make, plugins, emus and all the games work with all these too...and everything for free, at least the majority of the emulators)

Talking about compatibility...Are true, the rumors I heard and saw in some sites, that people are working to make a new version (not from connectix) of the ,never more updated, VGS 1.41, that will probably accept all the PSX games ?????????

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by Xeven

my playstation.. its almost totally dead, but it still plays games.. (you have to put something heavy on top of it)..
Well even with taking that one I got to bits and realigning the laser for approx 2 hours I only managed to get it to work if its balanced on its edge. :eek:

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
I had a PS before i sold it , and it didnt have any problems like you guys' have ...
My cousin's one was cool tho , you have to put something on the button that is pressed by the cover when closed , spin the cd manually for sometime until it runs by itself , and do this often or the cd will stop spinning . I think it's one of the first batches...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my Playstation the day it came out in the US, and it lasted me about 4 years. It worked good, just that XA audio would be crackly with certain games. My brother bought himself a new Playstation, so I packaged my old one in his box and took it back to the store for a new one. ;) Free replacement. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi, new person here. Well I had my PSX for more than 3 years and it runs perfectly. I don't exactly how long you guys had your PSX, but I have never experienced any of the problems that was mentioned. As for the PS2 it works great I love the stand for the PS2 cause I get to show it off. And it looks really good with the rest of my etertainment system, all my my stuff are black. Except for my room and a few article of clothing. However I do have a question for Sony though, when they designed the PSX why didn't they do it so that they could recycle our old PSX and take a few parts from the old PSX and use them for the new PS2? I'm not complaning or anything cause I got mine directly from the manufacturer for half price. It could reduce the price down a little for the lest fortunate. Hehe don't you love it when your relatives work for Sony? Sorry I just had to brag a little. ^-^

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,057 Posts
Originally posted by Palom
My brother bought himself a new Playstation, so I packaged my old one in his box and took it back to the store for a new one. ;) Free replacement. :)
I dont know what to say.. if they found out u cheated them... they could report to police.. :eyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts