Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am wondering why Pete's Hardware plugin can't do the auto-smothing(blurring), while the soft gpu can do it well.
As far as I know the FF8 PC use this function too, it can make the background and 2d graphic looks a bit better, not that pixeled!.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I remember correctly, pete's opengl plugin does have smoothing, I don't remember how to turn it on though. It's an easter egg, search the board for easter egg and you should find it. It really makes things run slow though.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
IIRC correctly Pete once said that it was possible to have that sort of smoothing with his harware plugins but it would slow down his plugin(not as much as the easter egg I believe:) ).

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Wait wait wait.... by smoothing/blurring, do you mean "motion blur" or "bilinear filtering"?

AFAIK Soft GPU doesn't have motion blur, but there's auto bilinear filtering if you use it on an nVidia-based video card.

Now if you want bilinear filtering in Pete's OGL or D3D, then set the filtering mode to "2 - Extended"

However, if you want motion blur, then it's Shift + PgUp, and it's slow as hell on most standard hardware config :)

·
ePSXe
444 Posts
Originally posted by kairi00

AFAIK Soft GPU doesn't have motion blur, but there's auto bilinear filtering if you use it on an nVidia-based video card.
Also in ATI Radeon cards ;) :p
In games in 2d it is incredible the effect :cool:
Kawaks games :love:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by Betamax
It'll probably work fast on a geforce 10 or something. :)
Don't quote me on this, but I recall reading a post somewhere that Pete managed to get the blur effects running full speed on his system....so, no we don't have to wait that long... a GeForce3 would suffice ;)

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
The "easter egg" fullscreen smoothing was a try to implement fullscreen effects like Eagle, SAI, etc... the plugin reads the whole gfx card buffer, apply some effect on the sceen data, and writes it back again... but since that method is driving todays gfx cards to their limits (at least in higer resolutions), I never did a more complex filter, right now it's a simple box blurr effect of my own.

Well, but you can try to use "filtering + sprite smoothing" with my 1.55 plugins :)

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what I meant for the auto-smoothing is the blurring effect in software gpu, yup on nVidia card.
I tried shift + page up.And yes, it 's way slow.
Why it do both 2D and 3D? is there any posibility to do the blurring effect on 2D graphic(just like what they do in FF8 PC)?

BTW, YAY!! Pete's GPU 1.55 is OUT!!!
thanks Pete, I 'll try out your "filtering + sprite smoothing" now! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I just tested petes d3d and ogl version 1.55 on my voodoo 5 5500 with FF9..

The Filtering with sprite smoothing Looks great for Non FSAA capable cards even at higher resolutions.. The best is still with 4xFSAA with filtering + sprite smoothing at 640x480 though.. I could put up a screenshot, but they aren't working at the moment.. :(

The ogl version of petes gpu pluggins has better quality 4xFSAA for my voodoo 5 than with the d3d one.. Ogl and glide seems to have better quality FSAA than d3d in epsxe on a voodoo 5..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts