i've played:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Grandia 2
Diablo I
Diablo 2
but i cant find or i'm not aware of any other rpg on pc that is console type
or that is not online
most of the rpg games right now are only online but that is problem with me 'cause in my location Dominican Republic a fast internet connection is expensive and i can't play them
so I want to know of others rpg games that are not online and are worth checking out
I will apreciate your advice

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
If you are looking for console rpg type on the PC, you can try Anachronox, Septerra Core and Breath of Fire 4. And if you like Diablo type gameplay you could also try Sacred.

But I think you're missing out some of the best RPG on the PC if you only like console RPG, try:

- Fallout I & 2
- Planescape Torment
- Baldur's Gate I & II
- Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic

That's some of the best RPG on the PC IMO

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info
I've already played Breath of Fire 4 on Psx and PC
But I'll try the others next time
I had Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic but didn't really like it.
I think I'll try to get Anachronox and find some reviews of the others that you posted

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
You should really check out Septerra Core as Didamangi suggested, it's a very fun console style RPG, let me warn you though as once you've gotten far into the game it's infected by a lot of bugs which is a shame for such a otherwise good game :(

Best RPGs on PC:
Gothic 1
Gothic 2
The Complete Ultima VII
Betrayel at Krondor ( now freeware )

If you want a good freeware console style RPG try out Laxius Power:

www.laxiuspower.com

If you like that one try: Three the hard way ( probably the best freeware J-style RPG ever ) Do not under any circumstances watch the movie with the same name though!!!! ( unless you're a girl :D )

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i played and finished septerra core and yes, it is a good rpg for pc. yep chankast rules, it does get buggy and somewhat repetitive as u progress but who ever likes final fantasy, i advise u to play this game. its rather addictive.

another rpg i liked is Darkstone. ha dmultiple stories and gameplay.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
I should really try some of these out, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
i second the fallout series, some of the best on the pc

i personally don't recommend the baldurs gate series, the second one was ok but it continued from the storyline of bg1 which was pretty damn boring at times (and the storyline wasnt really that good either)

diablo 1 and 2 are both fun classics that are meant to be played online, they can be really fun when you play with people you know but some people just arent that into the genre, its more of an action/rpg, but it does have good replay value, i must've stopped playing it and started over again 10 times now

planescape torment has probably the best storyline / depth to any game ive played, its one you should try

betrayal at krondor like chankast said is free, and its a fun classic if you dont mind the graphics, im actually replaying it right now

the ultima series in general is very good, 7, 8, 9 are the last of the series so you might wanna try those, its not necessary to play 1-6 to get into them.
for these last two games though you might need dosbox to get them playing

gothic 1 and 2 had pretty good graphics when they were published, the storyline was nothing spectacular though, the dialogs were ok, but the gameplay was really fun and it has a unique combat system, which i wish more games would emulate (you actually control your swings and parrys)

septerra core is a fun game with a pretty good story, but the gameplay does get boring later on

the #1 pc rpg? for me there's no doubt, Anachronox. This buried treasure shouldve made it to the top selling lists and had sequels and expansions but unfortunately it didn't make enough money. But... it has some of the best characters, the funniest lines, and one of the coolest most original stories ever, this game is my #1 reccomendation... if you can find it

·
Ride the Darkness
337 Posts
Neverwinter Nights is really good also and has an engaging story with plenty of replay value (try different classes etc.). Then lets see... Morrowind is good, also check out Icewind Dale and Dungeon Siege.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
I tried Never Winter Nights on my computer yesterday but the background was black? All I could see were the characters. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Greetings,

Hey, I tried that Laxius Power (went straight to 3), it looks really interesting, but there are a couple of issues.

1. The text is so horribly formatted as to be virtually unreadable.

2. It appears to run the game at 320X240 and it still looks blocky as hell.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I have played other RPGMaker games, and none of them had these kind of problems. ( I can live with the blocky graphics, but the text is just awful.)

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
Does anyone remember Eye of the Beholder series? It's old like hell, but still, the first two parts rule :)

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
Neverwinter Nights is really good also and has an engaging story with plenty of replay value (try different classes etc.). Then lets see... Morrowind is good, also check out Icewind Dale and Dungeon Siege.
i cant personally recommend Neverwinter Nights unless you get the hordes of the underdark (or whatever it was called) expansion, the expansion was really the only thing that saved that game from me calling it a disappointment, the story wasnt really that good and everything was really... just pretty cheesy ad&d stuff

morrowind, i personally liked, but the story isnt that good, its a very open game which is a good thing if you like to do a lot of exploring and questing, though the quests in general aren't very captivating and the exploring gets boring after a while

icewind dale i havent actually played, the story could be good (though i didnt hear many good things about it) but in gameplay and looks its a baldur's gate clone

dungeon seige, its relatively fun, but by the end is very boring. I myself have finished it but... only the second time i tried playing it, and the only reason i finished it was because of my own momentum for wanting to have finished it

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just to get a second opinion. Completely disagree with Strider. If the original campaign isnt enough for you. Download one of the bajillion player made ones. I felt the original campaign was fine. Offered good gameplay and a pretty decent story. The only flaw it had IMO was the lack of choice for evil aligned charactors. Neverwinter Nights "is" Dungeons and Dragons. And its entire Lore/story is based upon it. Paticularly Forgotten Realms handbook. From the the first campaign to Hordes of Underdark. Criticizing it for being D&D in nature is a IMO flawed since thats the exact crowd it was catered towards.

·
2,775 Posts
Hey, I tried that Laxius Power (went straight to 3), it looks really interesting, but there are a couple of issues.
First I'd strongly reccomend starting from 1, since it has a very deep and involving storyline, and you can import save games from 1->2->3 and the story will be even better if you do. I'm not sure why the third one looks the way it does with the text, but I think a patch that fixes it is in the works, I don't think you'll have this problem with 1 and 2 though.

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
ChankastRules said:
First I'd strongly reccomend starting from 1, since it has a very deep and involving storyline, and you can import save games from 1->2->3 and the story will be even better if you do. I'm not sure why the third one looks the way it does with the text, but I think a patch that fixes it is in the works, I don't think you'll have this problem with 1 and 2 though.
Ok, I will give LP1 a shot first then.

Oh, and so I'm not labelled a terrorist for being a hijacker, here's my two cents. Neverwinter Nights is an awesome game, but I found the first campaign to be lacking. The most fun I had with it was creating a Paladin (good for solo'ing and I like playing do-gooders :p ) and running through the most excellent Pools of Radiance mod first. Then I jumped into the second and third expansions, both of which are quite good and involving. The multiplayer on this is extremely fun and often overlooked, there's nothing quite like running through the ruins of phlan with a buddy to back you up. :thumb:

Morrowind is a really great game with a couple of flaws. Honestly though, it took me many many hours of play (I would say >50) before the flaws began to annoy me. There is a massive amount of content and plenty of fun in this one. Actually, combined with the mods available which can triple the amount of monsters and quests available, this game is even huger than that. Also, don't forget both expansions which provide quite a bit of new and interesting content. I have been thinking of reloading this one, if only to bid my time until the next Elder Scrolls game comes out.

I almost beat Baldur's Gate 1, but I found that I went from enjoying it immensely to finding it tedious and arduous in a short period of time. They built a great D&D world, the game just kind of lacks direction. Consequently having felt like I had my fill of this type of game, I never played BG2 or Icewind Dale.

Also, Ultima 4 is still the best one (aside from Ultima Online) in my opinion. Some of the games after 6 had interesting stories but bizarre and clunky GUI's, and 8's in particular was clearly the precursor to the UO game. Ultima 4's graphics are dated like pong is dated though. I've always wanted to play U9 but never was able to get it to run, even with Dosbox.

I would also heartily recommend Breath of Fire 4, it is one of the greatest console style RPG's of all time.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
2,775 Posts
I've always wanted to play U9 but never was able to get it to run, even with Dosbox.
It's not so strange you couldn't get U9 to run with Dosbox :D considering it's a windows game, it's strange that you can't get it to run, because it works fine on any windows machine I tried it on it's not nearly as good as 7 though. Reason? well EA wanted the Ultima team to work on UO instead of U9 :( result = no more single player ultima, and the entire ultima team left Origin. I don't in particular like EA after that, considering they killed one of the best RPG series of all times.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Altho they seem quite basic compared to Diablo and newer RPG's, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are pretty good games, can get proper into them :p

1 - 20 of 48 Posts