Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The King of All Kings.
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on 56k right now.
My mom says she'll get me Broadband for my birthday, and just wants me to find a company.
I live in a town that can't get a good DSL conncection for some reason, but I can get wireless from my current ISP.

This wireless is 29.99 a month and the speed is 0-384 kb.
Is this even worth dumping dail up for? I pay 19.99 a month already.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The speed will be better (downloading at 50ish KB a second, compared to 3-5 right now) but it will probebly be laggy. for $30.. you cant get DSL or cable?

·
Registered
340 Posts
well, like i said. it would be faster (faster download speed), but it would probebly be at least the same lag (if not more). I say give it a try for a month and see how it is. Its only gonna be worth it if you will use the extra speed.

·
The King of All Kings.
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great news.
I talked to my mom, and she said that she will
get me the advanced wireless for 50.00 a month.
This has a connection of 256KB-1.0 MB.
I'm sure this is good speed mrite?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
Hell if its the only service in your area, go for it ;) It will be alot better than being stuck with bloody dial up.

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
The Shadow said:
Great news.
I talked to my mom, and she said that she will
get me the advanced wireless for 50.00 a month.
This has a connection of 256KB-1.0 MB.
I'm sure this is good speed mrite?
What do you mean by wireless? Is this satellite? Microwave?

Where do you live anyways? In the middle of the wodds?

$50 seems to be a lot to be paying for such low speeds.

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
RZetlin said:
What do you mean by wireless? Is this satellite? Microwave?

Where do you live anyways? In the middle of the wodds?

$50 seems to be a lot to be paying for such low speeds.
wireless as in wireless networking like you have in your house, ISP's can transport these signals over miles, unlike our feeble meters.

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
Haha! Most "wireless" services are actually wired services. They wire to your home/office and set up a WiFi inside. Make sure you know what you're getting! RZetlin is right. Wireless doesn't really go very far, and I doubt you'll be given a direct microwave link. One alternative is that if your ISP is also a mobile telecommunications provider, they can use the cell sites to function as hotspots... but the speed is pathetic.

384kb isn't bad. I have a friend with one, and frankly, surfing is not a problem at all. Downloading isn't bad either. He Gigs of Anime like crazy and he says it's hardly a problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Kraelis said:
Haha! Most "wireless" services are actually wired services. They wire to your home/office and set up a WiFi inside.
Not necessarily, theres a wireless setup around here. From what i gather, its just a high powered antenea. it probebly works close to how i heard satelite (dunno if this is fully true anymore) works, you have a 56K upload and wireless download. The only reason i would say that is because you would have to have a similiarly powered antenea at your house for the data to reach.

·
Transcended
1,421 Posts
Uh... "wireless download" doesn't really connotate any speed.

But anyway, pure beamed wireless setups are too expensive for ordinary home use, unless you have special needs with the money to spare. Which is why I said I doubted a wireless linkup service.

But yes they exist. Just not practical for most purposes. And yes, they need a receptor at your end too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
With statelite your almost better off with dialup. no p2p and no gaming at least thats the last time i used one and that was starband, which was one of the faster ones at the time, the only good thing is you get near t1 speeds down but high lag time and low upload almost unplayable for gaming.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.