Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So before I start, I'd like to preface that I know how to make ISOs, I just don't know how they work. I have a copy of final fantasy 8 (the play station discs..real ones..) and I want to make an ISO of them. I know they play from 0 - 100% of the game on my playstation, so theres no issue there, but when I try to make an ISO of them to play on the computer using epsxe, It gets a read error. I've looked at guides on ISOs in the past and read that you should enable "read error skipping" on the program, which is in this case Alcohol 52%.

So my question is this, will enabling skipping read errors on the ISOs in anyway effect the gameplay of the ISO once I start running it in epsxe?

The reason I ask is I can't seem to get a plug-in to run the CDs from the Run CD option well. Every few minutes it does a bit of a "lag", or as I call it the Remixed version (sound loops XD). Its almost always when the CD starts spinning again (like when you can hear the cd spinning, could be a disconnect of the PS disc with a DVD rom but Chrono cross works fine. so no clue!) Which is pretty annoying after awhile. It isn't unplayable by anymeans but I'd rather just make ISOs of them and be done with it. Unless someone would have ways of fixing that issue, but I'm pretty sure its just the way my CDROM and the plugins I have don't like one another. (I have SaPU's, P.E. OPS, Mooby2, and two epsxe ones..)

At anyrate, thanks in advance for the help, for those who are still reading my horribad grammar XD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but will the ISO be messed up at all if I "skip disc read errors" when making it?

as I said, Chrono cross runs fine, but brave fencer musashi also had a read error. and all 3 play just fine on my real playstation (and my ps3 for that matter, I just want to play them on my PC so I don't hog the TV XD)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did Alcohol 52% and I just tried Magic ISO

Magic ISO made the ISO, now I'm testing it out. :) And thanks for the help so far btw ^-^

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, this ISO didn't work, I don't really know Magic ISO so I'm assuming I did something wrong.

I'm not totally sure on why the Alcohol 52% didnt work, my ISOs for ff10 and such for my Ps 2 emulator work fine. Something is odd :x I wonder if ff8 has some sort of protection on the disc against making ISOs/copies.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
use alcohol 50% using the Playstation profile, and enable error skipping.

Ya, this ISO didn't work, I don't really know Magic ISO so I'm assuming I did something wrong.

I'm not totally sure on why the Alcohol 52% didnt work, my ISOs for ff10 and such for my Ps 2 emulator work fine. Something is odd :x I wonder if ff8 has some sort of protection on the disc against making ISOs/copies.

Only on PAL Copies, which is solved by reading the subchannel data.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks Squall :) I'll give that a shot and see what happens and report back (in an edit, not a new post)

I really wasn't sure if it was okay to do error skipping since a few guides said not too and a few said it was fine XD

*edit* The ISO seems to be working fine with Alcohol 52% and skipping errors. Thanks again for the help :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts