Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a few questions regarding PCSX2.

I'm trying to play Killer7 and it runs at 17FPS at the lowest possible configs on a GeForce 6200, 3.0Ghz P4 and 2Gb ram.

I'm upgrading but first I wanted to make sure I'll be able to run the game with this specs:

Dual Core 2.5
9800GTX
2Gb

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does the game require a powerful GPU or the zeroGS plugin? Most PCSX2 games, using GSDX, are fine with a midrange card (such as a 9600GT). Rather, getting a better CPU (or deciding on overclocking it) would help more with most games.
Of course, you might want to get the opinion of someone who has killer7 to be sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the game require a powerful GPU or the zeroGS plugin? Most PCSX2 games, using GSDX, are fine with a midrange card (such as a 9600GT). Rather, getting a better CPU (or deciding on overclocking it) would help more with most games.
Of course, you might want to get the opinion of someone who has killer7 to be sure.
Well, I don't think so. I mean, I could be very wrong, since this is the first time I actually try to play something on it but, Devil May Cry 3 was at 5fps on the main menu, and I can run the main menu in killer7 at full speed.

With zeroGS I can reach 120fps in the intro, but everything runs smoothly with GSDX, then both fall to 15~27fps in-game. It's actually playable, if I could stand bullet-time. There are some not-so-minor bugs with GSDX, but nothing I can't ignore.

So, could I play it with a midrange GPU?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I don't think so. I mean, I could be very wrong, since this is the first time I actually try to play something on it but, Devil May Cry 3 was at 5fps on the main menu, and I can run the main menu in killer7 at full speed.

With zeroGS I can reach 120fps in the intro, but everything runs smoothly with GSDX, then both fall to 15~27fps in-game. It's actually playable, if I could stand bullet-time. There are some not-so-minor bugs with GSDX, but nothing I can't ignore.

So, could I play it with a midrange GPU?
PCSX2 is very CPU dependant, moreso than GPU. So a moderate CPU/Good GPU wouldn't benefit as much as a moderate GPU/Good CPU. This is generally speaking, there are a few anomalies, but I think it's better to go with a strong CPU for PCSX2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... I see. Well, I did some research about the Dual Core processor, and I think I can overclock it to 2.8~3.5 (if I'm deadly lucky), probably 3.0, so I could get myself 4Gigs of ram and a 9600GT, which can run Crysis at 25~35fps with Fraps on Very High.

Now I need to know, is a overclocked Dual Core a good choice? Or should I stick to a Core 2 Duo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmmm... I see. Well, I did some research about the Dual Core processor, and I think I can overclock it to 2.8~3.5 (if I'm deadly lucky), probably 3.0, so I could get myself 4Gigs of ram and a 9600GT, which can run Crysis at 25~35fps with Fraps on Very High.

Now I need to know, is a overclocked Dual Core a good choice? Or should I stick to a Core 2 Duo?
I don't quite understand the question - Core 2 Duo IS dual core. It's simply under a different name. What I would say however is you don't want to be permanently overclocking your CPU - you want to try and run the games on your factory clock. If you need to overclock you'll want to be very sparse with how you do it, simply because overclocking causes the CPU to burn out much quicker, and if overclocked enough can cause system instability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't quite understand the question - Core 2 Duo IS dual core. It's simply under a different name. What I would say however is you don't want to be permanently overclocking your CPU - you want to try and run the games on your factory clock. If you need to overclock you'll want to be very sparse with how you do it, simply because overclocking causes the CPU to burn out much quicker, and if overclocked enough can cause system instability.
I know, but some people say that the Core 2 Duo is better for overclocking than the Dual Core. Since I never overclocked a C2D I can't say for sure.

Also, I know overclocking isn't the best thing to do, but a Dual Core 2.5 isn't enough to run it, or is it? Well, I'm not trying to run it at 1280X1024 with 16 of Anisotropic Filtering and all the possible filters, something like 640X480 with no filters and no AA is enough for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What are you talking about when you say "dual core 2.5"? Not Core 2 Duo?

Anyway, a core 2 duo (dual core) with 3.0 ghz would be great (still not perfect for everything, but good fps for most games). 2.5 ghz might be good enough for killer7. No real way of knowing unless someone here has the game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts