Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's not connected, but the option was pretty much useless. Barely any games use anything else than bi/trilinear anyway, except maybe for some UI that looks better without filtering either way. And anisotropic looks better than trilinear anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, in most cases, yes. But there is still some occasion where Force bi\trilinear filtering can be useful. Here is two screenshots. The first one is R 2595, Force bi\trilinear filtering, Anisotropic filter 4x. The second one is R 2629, Anisotropic filter 16x, Antialias (MSAA) 16xQ CSAA. The first one looks better for me. The game is SoulCalibur II.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not sure getting those few screens to look a little better is worth a whole checkbox, we have such a mess of checkboxes already :p

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hey ector great work, finally AA in Dolphin! I'm noticing that it works fine for most games but TP doesn't seem to boot in properly yet.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well, in most cases, yes. But there is still some occasion where Force bi\trilinear filtering can be useful. Here is two screenshots. The first one is R 2595, Force bi\trilinear filtering, Anisotropic filter 4x. The second one is R 2629, Anisotropic filter 16x, Antialias (MSAA) 16xQ CSAA. The first one looks better for me. The game is SoulCalibur II.
Yes, i noticed that too, it makes 2D stuff looks better, less 'stretched low-res'. But not only 2D, for some games like RE4 having huge black borders, when Auto scale is enabled, it greatly improves the graphic quality even for 3D rendering.

Not sure getting those few screens to look a little better is worth a whole checkbox, we have such a mess of checkboxes already :p
I agree with that, however, would it be possible to activate it by default when AF is high enough ? just replacing the old var by something like (g_Config.iMaxAnisotropy > 2) could do the trick ? :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Force bi\trilinear filtering

Even better example. Resident Evil Remake. R 2595 with Force bi\trilinear filtering & Anisotropic filter 4x VS R 2630 with Anisotropic filter 16x & Antialias (MSAA) 16xQ CSAA. Just look at the floor reflections.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you very much.
Anisotropic filter 16x + Antialias (MSAA) 16xQ CSAA + Force bi\trilinear filtering.
That's just beautiful.

·
Registered
379 Posts
However, there's something strange with it, filtering doesn't seem to work at all with the new MSAA path using FBblit, while it works well using the other one (removing fbblit check)
Does it lack some GLparameters or something to be enabled ?

Here are some comparisons screens :
(the first one is the old path, looks good ; the second is the new MSAA path, it isn't filtered, looks worse)

Edit: The difference is not that big though, so that's low priority, but would be good to have anyway :p
damn, Klimat yours seems to look fine..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hm, that's odd, maybe it's an ATI thing... maybe we'll have to revert to not using framebuffer_blit for the final copy. doesn't make much difference in performance anyway.

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bug report

I've discovered a little bug here (R 2634, R 2639). For some reason Dolphin likes to uncheck Force bi\trilinear filtering feature. I can turn it on, but when I'm closing OpenGL configuration window and then opening it again, feature box is always unchecked.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts