Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Look like the spider.LOL

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
Each quantum circuit, or qubit, can represent at least three states: on, off or both by an effect called quantum superposition.
hmm, sounds like a recipe for disaster imo, unless they are going to do something drastic like change how computers work so they work on trinary or something.

and that cpu lol, it looks like somebody has mauled a bios chip at stuck some cocane round the edges (or is it speed :lol:)

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
hmm, sounds like a recipe for disaster imo, unless they are going to do something drastic like change how computers work so they work on trinary or something.
It isn't as bad though, since this has existed in theory since 10 years ago or so, and computer science has been working on it since then.

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
Proto said:
It isn't as bad though, since this has existed in theory since 10 years ago or so, and computer science has been working on it since then.
thats true, and IF it will work, it will be a big leap forward, but for now we will have to sit back and wait.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
refraction said:
thats true, and IF it will work, it will be a big leap forward, but for now we will have to sit back and wait.
Well I would imagin that it is about time, I mean we have been using either 1s or 0s for ever, its about time that they brought in a nother state, possibly more according to the article.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,588 Posts
I heard alot of things about those computers, if your fan goes faster than 88 mph/h it'll go back to the 486 era.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I really can't see how this would work. Maybe I missed something but I noticed they politely dodged around the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (which I was always taught makes it impossible to do things like this with quantum particles).

Anyone who doesn't know what that is, google it, I'm too lazy. Anyone who does should instantly see my point (if they haven't thought of it already).

·
Retired
8,889 Posts
hooloovoo said:
I really can't see how this would work. Maybe I missed something but I noticed they politely dodged around the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (which I was always taught makes it impossible to do things like this with quantum particles).

Anyone who doesn't know what that is, google it, I'm too lazy. Anyone who does should instantly see my point (if they haven't thought of it already).
Well, physicists know A LOT more about Heisenberg's uncertainty principle than you and they aren't worried about it when it comes to quantum computing.

Especially since quantum computers designs always use some sort of quantum entaglement to make it work, so it'll bypass HUP (mostly through a EPR effect).

As for the effects of mature quantum computing, think about breaking down a 2048-bit RSA encryption in less than a day. This should be enough to make you shiver.

Anyway, check out Qubit.org for more info on quantum computing in general. For a more academic review, see Strengths and Weaknesses of Quantum Computing. For another approach, see Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation for Quantum Computation.

For a brief review of the dangers and benefits of quantum computing, see Calculating the Quantum Nightmare. It's a technology that has a lot of potential both for good and for evil, just like nanotechnology.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
if they changed from binary to tertiary to even more unique states then the enite computer logic system would need to be overhauled. no more and and or gates, no more truth tables, or algorithmns like trees that rely on only two unique possiblities to work. everything would need to be invented from the ground up. It would indeed be a challenge though that produced amazing results.

·
Retired
8,889 Posts
Coolsvilleman said:
if they changed from binary to tertiary to even more unique states then the enite computer logic system would need to be overhauled. no more and and or gates, no more truth tables, or algorithmns like trees that rely on only two unique possiblities to work. everything would need to be invented from the ground up. It would indeed be a challenge though that produced amazing results.
Yep, it's a brave new world. But don't fear change; embrace it.

Nonetheless, right now I'm more interested in computational nanotechnology, which promises A LOT of computing power in a very tiny space, and in a decade or two. I think that we'll see a breakthrough in MNT (mature nanotechnology) before we see a similar breakthrough in quantum computing.

I might be wrong, though. No one can be sure.

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,340 Posts
Nevermore said:
I heard alot of things about those computers, if your fan goes faster than 88 mph/h it'll go back to the 486 era.
One of the funniest things I've ever read. :D

As for reading the betterhumans.com article Boltzmann referenced and other Wikipedia articles, I think this might be the first step to the singularity. Allow me to flee to my bunker now. :D

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
Boltzmann said:
Yep, it's a brave new world. But don't fear change; embrace it.

Nonetheless, right now I'm more interested in computational nanotechnology, which promises A LOT of computing power in a very tiny space, and in a decade or two. I think that we'll see a breakthrough in MNT (mature nanotechnology) before we see a similar breakthrough in quantum computing.

I might be wrong, though. No one can be sure.
I would be worried about nono-tech. The possibilities for misuse is too large. Nano-virus's, for instance could be used to create almost unstopable bio weapons. We tread on very thin ground with these new inovations.

·
Retired
8,889 Posts
Coolsvilleman said:
I would be worried about nono-tech. The possibilities for misuse is too large. Nano-virus's, for instance could be used to create almost unstopable bio weapons. We tread on very thin ground with these new inovations.
Nanotechnology poses several significant dangers, but trying to stop research would be even more disastrous (relinquishment will never work).

But I think that grey goo and nanoviruses scenarios are overrated. There're more immediate dangers that are not as apparent but are just as potentially harmful. That's why we need a sound regulatory framework before we develop MNT.

For more info see Dangers of Molecular Manufacturing.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Player-X said:
Basicly if we had MNT we could in theory just download all our high end computer hardware instead of buying them and put alot of people out of buiness
...damn pirates :)

Anyways, in the immortal words of "Bender", I'll just say (while quaking with fear):

"I think I saw a 2!"

·
Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
Boltzmann said:
Nanotechnology poses several significant dangers, but trying to stop research would be even more disastrous (relinquishment will never work).

But I think that grey goo and nanoviruses scenarios are overrated. There're more immediate dangers that are not as apparent but are just as potentially harmful. That's why we need a sound regulatory framework before we develop MNT.

For more info see Dangers of Molecular Manufacturing.
agreeded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.