Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tbh honest the game is disapointing me alot so far :S just got it today and it suffers from the same problem Doom 3, seems id didnt listen at all to ppl opinions. The game is TOO DAMN DARK, even in outside areas the lightning is wierd, the simplest shadow is just plain black, and when theres an explosion it gets from total dark to no shadows at all oO seems this engine can't do anything besides render dark. Anyway apart from that the game is "ok", the gameplay is nicer then doom 3, much faster and the weapons fell really good. AI is nothing special, i had a couple ocasions of really dumb AI (go around the colum and the monster just stands there wondering where i went :p). Gonna try multiplayer as soon as i get home again and let u guys know.

Anyway here are the screenshots:

· The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
965 Posts
Greetings,

Actually, I have been playing this for the past few hours, yes, on the rig in my sig. The game decided to set the default settings for my system to 640X480 with everything as low as possible. Obviously this wasnt going to fly with me, so I turned it up to 800X600, medium quality, and turned most of the advance options on. I was suprised that the real time shadows didn't seem to have much of an impact at all, since in most games turning on shadows is a death sentance for my 9800Pro. It runs pretty well most of the time, instead of it just getting low frames in general I find my frame rate varies a lot, and there are times when it freezes for a second or two (like when a door opens, or some effect-laden event occurs). Oh, and if you found Doom3's loading times intolerable, don't even bother to load this game on your HD. I have been playing Mercury on my PSP during level loads. :p I suppose those with high end systems probably don't have to worry about stuff like this.

For the game itself, I am actually really impressed. Although I am coming into it with no preconcieved notions (not a QuakeIII fan), I found the combat to be very fast paced. Even on medium settings all the special effects are decent, and there can be quite a lot going on the screen at any one point. As for AI, I think these guys took a que from TMNT, they are dispensable footsoldiers, and behave like it too. Not that it bothers me since they throw quite a few baddies at you at any given time, which keeps it interesting. Tech wise it doesnt seem to be a vast improvement over Doom3 (although I have to run on medium settings, so), but overall I am finding it to be a very entertaining game. Run n' gun, so to speak.

Also, not be contrary or anything, but I don't find the game to be all that dark, and certainly not as pitch black blind as Doom3. Sure, there are dark corners, but every single weapon has a flashlight built in, and most of the areas are pretty well lit.

Just as an aside, when I was playing with the settings I changed it to "Ultra", and it said that in this mode it uses up 500MB of texture memory. oO

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

· General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
I think there is a reason why the game looks so dark.

I have seen some of the multi-player gameplay at gamespot and the graphics doesn't look good when played with full light.

The natural outdoor environments doesn't render well with the Doom 3 engine.

Well at least in Quake 4, the developers figured out how to use the flashlight and gun at the same time!

· Premium Member
6,403 Posts
TastEPlasma said:
Just as an aside, when I was playing with the settings I changed it to "Ultra", and it said that in this mode it uses up 500MB of texture memory. oO
Doom 3 says the same thing if you set it to Ultra. If you look at the reviews of the 512 MB version of the GeForce 6800 Ultra on Newegg, pretty much everyone talks about playing Doom 3 on Ultra :p.

As for the outdoor environments, I agree. I saw a picture of an outdoor skybox and it looks absolutely horrible. It looks like it came out of a 4 year old game.

· Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is the same engine everyone knows that :p, but it still doesnt mean they shouldnt fix what was wrong in doom 3. Quite honestly i wish i hadn't bought this :S next time i'll just wait for a demo

Gonna try mp now ill let u guys know how it is

· Registered
14 Posts
Been playing Q4 all day today. It's a great game. The story and dialog is interesting from the other marines. The process of getting turned into a strogg is hidiously awesome and one of the more memorable parts. Watching the huge troop carrier land was quite amazing aswell (The Hammer). The combat is visceral and fast paced like Quake has always been. I've seen several homages to the old Quake & Quake II. Most notably the sond effects like picking up health are very reminisent of the old quakes as well as the drop pods the marines use like in Quake II.

The graphics are above and beyond any other shooter. Of course I'm playing on max detail. The exterior background images are jaw dropping. The strogg structures on the horizon billowing out fire and smoke is just awesome.

The tank, truck mounted gun, and walker vehicles I've used so far were a lot of fun. The armor and shields on vehicles regen pretty fast so you don't encounter too many keyboard slammingly difficult situations.

· Registered
14 Posts
I keep the SMG out most of the time just for the scope and light. When anything bigger then a regular strogg grunt shows up I switch to whatever.

And now that I think about the SMG was my fav gun on Quake II after the nailgun.

· Souless Angel
900 Posts
Quick Review - before i throw it in the pile

Graphics - 80%: It's the Doom III engine we all know this, yet instead of adding to it. There was little upgrades to tweaks done to the engine to fixs some of the texture, and light sourcing problems. Skyboxes do not look all that great in this game as pointed out in a earlier post. The character models are what saves this from average. They look and move great.

Gameplay - 75%: Don't go into this game expecting HL-2 or even Farcry style gameplay. This is Quake II meets next gen. Run of the mills straight paths with end after end of monsters. This isn't a bad thing, but more variety in it's choices would have been nice. The reason I marked this down alot, was it's all too famailr. Nothing, has made me go wow or simply shocked me in some form. If you've played the original QII. Expect, just a updated presence.

Overall - 80%: The game has some nice nods to the older games. I loved how the designs were able to match up to QII's designs after almost 8 years. The sad thing was they didn't try to break the mold. It feels like D3, with QII ideas. I know, I know Doom is what spawned Quake, and vice-versa. I just expect a little more in my games lately, I guess. There are some vehicle(on rails) to break up the gameplay. If you are a true Q2 fan or D3 fan. Pick it up. I just can't express how hard that if you arn't that big of fan, wait til it's atleast 29.99.

· Registered
14 Posts
Zer0Soul said:
Quick Review - before i throw it in the pile

Graphics - 80%: It's the Doom III engine we all know this, yet instead of adding to it. There was little upgrades to tweaks done to the engine to fixs some of the texture, and light sourcing problems. Skyboxes do not look all that great in this game as pointed out in a earlier post. The character models are what saves this from average. They look and move great.

Gameplay - 75%: Don't go into this game expecting HL-2 or even Farcry style gameplay. This is Quake II meets next gen. Run of the mills straight paths with end after end of monsters. This isn't a bad thing, but more variety in it's choices would have been nice. The reason I marked this down alot, was it's all too famailr. Nothing, has made me go wow or simply shocked me in some form. If you've played the original QII. Expect, just a updated presence.

Overall - 80%: The game has some nice nods to the older games. I loved how the designs were able to match up to QII's designs after almost 8 years. The sad thing was they didn't try to break the mold. It feels like D3, with QII ideas. I know, I know Doom is what spawned Quake, and vice-versa. I just expect a little more in my games lately, I guess. There are some vehicle(on rails) to break up the gameplay. If you are a true Q2 fan or D3 fan. Pick it up. I just can't express how hard that if you arn't that big of fan, wait til it's atleast 29.99.
I'm a bit suprised at how quickly a lot of people have become 'satisfed' with the techonology the Doom 3 engine has brought to the table. Everytime I load up this new quake or doom 3 and see the absolute art involved in it's level designs, textures, and lighting I'm wowed. Sometimes when I see a particular area be it inside or outside the geometry and texture art involved in it stands out in such a way to go beyond just gaming. The people who create this stuff are artist and deserve to be admired as nothing less then that.

If you don't have the appreciation for what's involved in designing a level for an engine like the doom 3 engine or source engine then I suggest you load up GTK Radient and try it yourself. Then go and create the kind of texture art shown in the game. It's truely great work these people have done.

· Souless Angel
900 Posts
Here we go again. Listen, I know first hand the heart that goes into making a game. Don't give me this why don't you go make a game. Unreal ED since 99. I know how hard it is just to make a simple level, plus the love that goes into doing it.

Q4 & D3's architecture and design for level's are not where I had problems. Nor, was it the graphics. I even gave nod's back to Raven for using ID's original Q2 designs. Which I liked. A 80% was not a bad score for a game, in which most people are giving 60-75% to. The flaw I had in the game was gameplay mechanics. It's like they plopped D3's gameplay right down in Q4, but added Squad's for a small touch.

I wanted more for Q4. I was wanting Raven to grab D3 by the balls and say here. Here is the fast paced war that the quake series was know for. Raven did a great job, and I give Jim Hughes alot of credit to trying his hardest to use what he had. It's just I was expecting more open out-door levels.

You want to talk about putting heart and artistic desgin into a game. I can't speak for the models, but look at Cliffy B's (one of the most widley known level designers) new project "Gears of Wars"

and before you make a comment ever again, about someone not realing it. I frequent alot of the Source and Level designs forums and keep updated with crews of games. Casue the next Carmack,Cliffy B or even Kojima might just have started out as a small level designer for Duke3d. You never know.

· Registered
330 Posts
From what I saw in the screenshots - Graphically impressive .
I'm not a huge FPS game fan, but if it's as much fun as Q3 - I might actually just go out and buy.

BTW - does it run at about the same speed as Q3 with similar graphic settings ( or does the tweaked engine have a huge impact on performance now?)

· Psychotic Robot Master
1,588 Posts
Man I heard so many good things about that game, I haven't received my order yet and I so want to play it bad now :(

Anyone knows how long it can take for a game to arrive? EBGames said up to 24 hours but it's been over 72 hours :\

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.