Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I have had a close look and at 3.2GHZ my Bus speed is showing 1600 so I am a bit concerned about pushing it any higher unless someone knows something I need to learn:p

So far all I have done is push the fsb to 400mhz which got me the 3.2GHZ but the BUS is now showing a speed of 1600mhz sometimes edging 1601 (Will that be a problem if I want the machine to last 2 years at the least with a BUS limit of 1600 written on the box?)

I did this using EasyTune6 with it set to go to these settings at windows log-in. I did notice it upped the ram mhz automatically as well, is this a concern?

Everything I find through google is leaving me confused!:hdbash:
I hate that even though I am a quick learner that I am someone that has to do it before I get the idea!

I guess I should be happy though considering that 2 years ago I was buying my very first pc for $240AUS:lol: and had not touched a pc since a TRS-80 (Well the next model up the COCO2:p) from 85-90 but only ever did artwork with it quite ironically:p

For those that don't know I am crap with photoshop, so much so that I have not bothered to re-install it yet and prob won't

Actually I just noticed that the multiplier is going from 6X to 8X a lot!
The cores drop to 2.4GHZ at these times oO and the temps are at about 20 celsius oOoO

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Youre fine.

Post your CPUz screenie

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

There ya go, pretty damn happy considering the 20 degrees celsius temp as well
I wonder how much of that is the cooler and how much would be the thermal paste!
Either way if I have it done correct then I am fine to go!
2 years with a beast like this in my P182 case and I am set to go:D
Looks like I will be able to upgrade the ram soon too. I have a shot at getting G.Skill 2x2GB 1066mhz sticks for only $60AUS. :D

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Wait are you overclocking from a program!? Aaackkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The bios has me going oO all over the place and the link that was posted on the last page just made my head spin!:cry:

Seriously a tonne of what is said there went straight over my head!:( I feel like a nOOb now:hdbash:, well I am a newb at even looking or thinking overclocking

I am really confused, I might have to pay someone to do it

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
My e7200 now clock at 3.5ghz with stock cooler at 1.2v not bad at 50c u can oc even more just make sure vcore below 1.3 with stock cooler

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
I think you should download a bunch of apps for monitoring like RealTemp, Everest, SpeedFan etc, and cross-check the results. You never know which is correct and which is screwing up the results. Oh, and (ideally) you should keep your vcore voltage BELOW 1.4V for a 45nm chip like that.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Shadow what you have to worry about is are the safe temp limits of 65C and the CPU vCore limit of 1.35v, other that that.

Also your clocks are fluctuating because Intel Speedstep is still enabled. Intel Speedstep underclocks the CPU when idle to save energy. My chip for instance fluctuates between 2Ghz and 2.83Ghz. It does so my reducing the multiplier for 8X or 6X, or in my case from 8.5X to 6X.

Shadow the problem with overclocking through software is that it automatically adjusts the voltages, so you may easily achieve say even 4Ghz, but unbeknowst to you the voltage might have been set to 1.44...which is way over the safe level of 1.35. That's why you have overclock from the BIOS so that you can maintain full control of everything.

Either way though your system seems to perform far better than mine and a hell of a lot cooler to...in summer...I guess my cooler just sucks...

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Going to get it done at the bios level in the next day or 2 even if I have to pay someone to do it. My head seriously hurts from all the research I have done:(

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Phil, does your CPU need 1.42V for 4.05GHz? Mine did it at 1.3V (it was close to being stable at 1.28V), but I used 1.32V for insurance.
I have had a close look and at 3.2GHZ my Bus speed is showing 1600 so I am a bit concerned about pushing it any higher unless someone knows something I need to learn:p

So far all I have done is push the fsb to 400mhz which got me the 3.2GHZ but the BUS is now showing a speed of 1600mhz sometimes edging 1601 (Will that be a problem if I want the machine to last 2 years at the least with a BUS limit of 1600 written on the box?)
Intel quad pumps the FSB. It has been this way since the Pentium 4. A FSB of 400MHz gives an effective CPU FSB of 1600MHz. 400MHz RAM effectively runs at 800MHz (it's double rated, hence DDR meaning double data rate). If the motherboard says it can only do 1600MHz, that's akin to your CPU being rated for whatever it is. If you're willing to overclock it, why worry about the stock speed of the motherboard chipset?

Do this. Set your BIOS back to stock. Undo the overclocking with the software. Post a CPU-Z screenshot and I'll give you some places to start, though you'll almost undoubtedly need to tweak from there (in other words, I won't be able to give you the best settings off the bat, as all hardware is different).

As for temperatures, I'd almost say ignore them. My old E8400 reportedly ran hot all around, but the cooler was always cool to the touch. What CPU cores run over 70C and have the heatpipes connected to them (I touched at the very base) not too hot to touch? Maybe (not sure how though) it was running that warm though. I haven't tried touching the cooler with my new CPU under load (at idle, it's cool at it claims it is). Maybe yours really is running that warm though. Err on the side of caution if you're not willing to take the risk, but in any case, temperatures of these 45nm CPUs aren't consistent and definitely don't seem to be what they used to be.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Im running 1.42 just for the heck of it. I'm curious to see who these 45 nm react to high Voltage. Oh, im running at 4.15 ghz now. at 4.4ghz, my chip got to hot for my tastes (65 c) though vcore was a sky high 1.47

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
What is your FSB Termination and CPU PLL voltages at, out of curiosity? I had them pretty high on my old E8400 at first, but later learned they don't need adjusted until really high FSB speeds (this is for dual cores, whereas for quad cores, they need raised more, earlier).

My CPU PLL is currently at 1.5V (results in ~1.58V), the lowest it'll go in BIOS, and the FSB Termination is set at ~1.2V (~1.3V in BIOS). The stock for FSB Termination for the 45nm dual cores is 1.15V, so that's only .05V higher. It does 4.0GHz at stock FSB Termination voltage.

Gameman, I guess this applies to you as well, if you're reading this. My template I gave you a while back probably had you set these higher than was needed. You have the same board and CPU as me, so you'll probably find the values I listed above to work fine.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Currently I set my termination to 1.5, FSB. PLL i left stock (goes up or down, depending on load). It's not the best way to overclock the e8400, but im not really getting into oc'ing this old chip anymore. When I get my Q9650......heh heh....that's when the fun starts. im also going to overhaul my system loop. I just bought a second reservoir, and now I have to buy some more cold cathodes. My main blacklight blew, and also my main reservoir light just kicked the bucket.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Try lowering the FSB Termination voltage to ~1.2V (maybe even 1.15V), and see if it's stable. I'd bet it would be.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Of course it would be stable lol. But i'm pushing it to see how effective my Northbridge heatsink is. When I get my Q9650, I may include a north bridge water block. Even though Cathar over at Xstremesystems advises against it lol

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Do this. Set your BIOS back to stock. Undo the overclocking with the software. Post a CPU-Z screenshot and I'll give you some places to start, though you'll almost undoubtedly need to tweak from there (in other words, I won't be able to give you the best settings off the bat, as all hardware is different).
Hope this helps, I am posting pics of my bios settings too. I hope it all helps!

·
PC game modder
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I did it! I did it:D

I am now at a stable 3.2GHZ and this time I used the bios!:p
I also ran Prime95 and watched temps with Core Temp

I sat down and read the page that was linked to me by 22point8 properly and after writing heaps of crap down I have got my o/clock:thumb:

And without having to pay someone to do it! :yippee:

·
Banned
200 Posts
Sorry man but that's not much of an overclock, I'd go 3.5GHz at least, stock cooling :)

I don't mean to be an ******* or anything, I just feel you can push it alot more then that and still be very stable, just watch your tempatures and run stability checks, one of the downsides of Quad Core Intel Chips is the RAM and CPU tends to get very hot when you overclock, so I'd suggest going up by 1-5MHz Bus Speed at a time, It should hit 3.5GHz fairly easily :) You should be able to leave your voltage at STOCK and still push 3.5GHz easily although once you start reaching the 3.8GHz range you might have to go up by .1V at a time like Zedeck says, It should still be stable but you'll want to check the stability, your tempature at minimum load, medium low and high load and test your RAM to see if it completes loops properly, Hope this helps :)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts