Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am creating this thread on the behalf of a friend of mine who is at the Air Force Academy. Unfortunately for him, he is not allowed to have a tv, gaming console, or other various commodities. However, he is allowed to have a pc, in addition to the laptop that he was issued.
Being an avid xbox player and Halo fan, he is looking forward to playing Halo 2, but, as I mentioned before, he can't have an xbox. However, we were thinking of taking the casing off of an xbox and fitting the hardware components in a pc case in order to get past inspections. Would this work?

One of the problems we have is the fact that he wants to run the video from his xbox through his laptop, but he doesn't have any video inputs on his laptop. Is there some kind of external video input box that could connect to his laptop via usb available on the market?

Thanks.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Well if there is it's gonna be expensive but I don't think it exists because the USB bandwidth is not enough for video. He may want to invest is a montiro for his *cough* computer *cough* that has an xbox compatible connection as well as a pc connection.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolsvilleman said:
Well if there is it's gonna be expensive but I don't think it exists because the USB bandwidth is not enough for video. He may want to invest is a montiro for his *cough* computer *cough* that has an xbox compatible connection as well as a pc connection.
I have never seen a monitor that accepts both pc connections and xbox connections (s-video?). What about using a vga box? Any good recommendations?

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Samor said:
tip: save yourself the trouble and get one fine PC as compensation.
I think the point though is that he wants to play games like Halo2 Fable which are all xbox exclusive. Otherwise I agree with you. Too bad the emulator/recompiler wasn't more functional to allow for a super pc to play the games. Maybe in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Samor said:
well, he could not play Halo2 and Fable...I'm sure there are some PC games that are equally enjoyable...
I agree with you on that notion, but my friend is a halo freak. He came up with this idea specifically so that he could play halo 2. And I don't think halo 2 will be ported to the pc anytime soon, if ever.

·
Registered
774 Posts
One problem with external TV tuners is lactency. No matter how good of one you get the video will always lag slightly behind where it should be. A VGA box would work... providing that the laptop had a hookup for one. I think he'd be better off just hooking it to a TV. Laptop displays aren't usually that great anyway.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
__Xzyx987X said:
One problem with external TV tuners is lactency. No matter how good of one you get the video will always lag slightly behind where it should be. A VGA box would work... providing that the laptop had a hookup for one. I think he'd be better off just hooking it to a TV. Laptop displays aren't usually that great anyway.
I will check with him, but I don't think he is allowed to have a tv in his room.

G

·
well, that problem can at least be solved by putting a tv tuner card in your pc. Preferrably internal I guess, since it would be less obvious ;)

if you do, I'd advice pinnacle; they still give a pretty nice picture even with crappy cable providers (like the one over here)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
First get this http://www.x2vga.com/ and a low-cost monitor. (43 centimeters should be fine… or 17 inches diagonal.) Whatever you can afford.

then some medium quality headphones or pc speakers. (should be free by now)

If you need anymore help just ask.

Note to other posters:
He’s asking for answers to a specific technical question. Not what PC he should buy. :rolleyes: :pCmad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts