1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Indeed. Virtual Prayer ... Wow.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
>There are 39,535 praying in the Virtual Prayer Rallies!

sigh... thats what today's technology can bring... but a neat idea... is this site just up for this election or already existed for a while?

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,357 Posts
Pray for the president ????

He and Kerry deserve no prayers...

Yours,
-Elly

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Hilarious, really. The guys are serious about it, and that's what makes it even more hilarious.

Elections are won with votes, not prayer :p

Come on, even if there is a bearded war chief in the sky (a.k.a. god) who is an omnipotent being, he would not alter the election's results just because a lot of people prayed for some candidate. Nor would he change the mind of the other voters, making them vote for your candidate.

As Epicurus pointed out a long time ago, if god is really perfect then prayers will never work. He was very persuasive, if I'm allowed to say so.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,357 Posts
/me slaps boltzmann

You really are hopeless,...-_-; I've yet to see a better fiction story on god than what you just wrote. :p ( And no, if god answered all our prayers, then we might as well stop working in our life, lay back and just keep praying to get our needs :???: It's not about perfectionism, it's about the balance of life. Now THAT is perfectionism)

Yours,
-Elly

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I'm sorry, you know I couldn't help myself :D

Anyway, I think that a truly altruist being would help everyone... That's what a Friendly AI is all about.
If god can't do better than what I can dream of as a human, then I'm sorry for him :p

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
>And no, if god answered all our prayers, then we might as well stop working in our life, lay back and just keep praying to get our needs

reminds me of Bruce Almighty :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
>And no, if god answered all our prayers, then we might as well stop working in our life, lay back and just keep praying to get our needs

reminds me of Bruce Almighty
And he was a bad god wasn't he?

If god can't do better than what I can dream of as a human, then I'm sorry for him
The problem is that what you define as better isn't always acceptable.

"Foolish are those who appear wise in their own eyes." -some proverb somewhere.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Narrrf said:
The problem is that what you define as better isn't always acceptable.
If helping people and eliminating suffering from the world isn't acceptable, then I don't know what it is.

What is acceptable by your standards? Cancer, hunger, children born without brains, AIDS? Sorry, but it's not acceptable to me, and I want a world where we can eliminate those things. There's no good reason for the existence - except for the fact that we live in a pityless, indifferent, uncaring universe; there's no design nor purpose on it.

Now, if you really want to worship those nasty things in the world and say that they're part of god's master plan, go ahead, I'm not stopping you. But I'll still be fighting for a world where we can get rid of them for good ;)

BTW, check my sig for thoughts on god's performance at managing this world :p

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
*shudder* ... that was too scary. Politics should never be mixed with religion.

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,299 Posts
> Politics should never be mixed with religion

I agree with that... but they (politician) always get close to the church when the election day comes near to woe votes... sheesh...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts