Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a problem but certainly an annoying one, everytime a cutscene start the sound is lost every 5-10 seconds, although just for 1-2 second.

They use bink movie for the cutscenes so I tried to change the bink.dll on the game folder to the other version of the dll that is on my other games, but that didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated ;)

· Premium Member
15,727 Posts
what? pc version? when was it released?

ever try going to the Psychonauts pc site and into the forums? if they have one :p

2.5.2 STREAMING PACKET SIZE

If you notice skipping or distorted sound and disabling hardware audio acceleration does not help, try adjusting the packet sizes.

1. Open $(INSTALLDIR)\AudioSettings.ini, where $(INSTALLDIR) is the directory to which the Psychonauts has been installed.
2. If the file does not exist, create it and put this line at the beginning:

[AudioSettings]

3. Add the following lines:

PacketSize=500
MusicPacketSize=500

4. Adjust these values higher as necessary until the skipping ceases. Valid values are 25 to 1000 and represent milliseconds. Default values are PacketSize=250 and MusicPacketSize=350. Very low or very high values may cause unexpected behavior - adjust with caution.
have u tried this?

· Registered
1,989 Posts
it's a problem with the bink codec not related to the game audio settings. I had it some time ago with the chessmaster 10th edition intro, I could see it perfectly on the rad tools player but in-game the sound skipped every few seconds. I didn't know how to fix it.

I played psychonauts from start to finish perfectly, my computer was formatted recently so maybe these bink codecs can get screwed up with time.

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeloazndevil said:
what? pc version? when was it released?

ever try going to the Psychonauts pc site and into the forums? if they have one :p

have u tried this?
Some time ago, along with the x-box version ;)

Anyway problem solved i think, raising the packet size and music packet size to 500 fixed the problem ;)

Great little gem this game is, everyone who remotely has interest in adventure/fun/funny/platformer should buy this ASAP or they're missing big time :thumb:

· Interplay sucks!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
caipirinha said:
/me shuts my mouth o_O

and yeah this game a jaw-dropping masterpiece of greatness and fun
I was thinking the same thing, that it was a bink codec problem not an audio problem because in game sound was perfect, so I search the forums and some people have the same problem but no solution, I tried downloading and installing the newest bink player, changing the bink dll, downloading the new openal for eax, tried lowering hardware acceleration in the cpanel, tuning graphics settings and nothing works :lol:

Raising the packets was the last thing I tried :rolleyes:

But troubleshooting is part of the fun of pc game I guess (as long as you're successful) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.